New Shimano TLD A series

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Minnow, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

I only have one thing to say about the TLD series from Shimano.

PIECE OF CRAP

A Graphite Frame should not be allowed on any reel unless the angler is a woman or a pantie waste man. I bought 4 when they first came out. The first two frames snapped at the reel seat. I threw them overboard. When I got back to the dock, I burnt and smashed the other two with a sledge hammer.

Shimano is probably my favorite brand of reels. You can't go wrong with a Tiagra, Stella, Trinidad, Calcutta, or Torsa. But, the TLD series needs to go away.

2. jig

jig Senior Member

Yeah, nice specs too. I can just imagine fishing the 50 size at the 42# drags setting they post.

I have a TLD 30 I like, but I fish it at maybe 15-20# drag, and do not use a harness. Once the HooX comes out, it will likely find its way to ebay.

3. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I figured these reels were gone for sure when they introduced the Tyrnos reels, but I've got to tell you, I've enjoyed fishing with my TLD20II, it's a great size for YFT chunking or live baiting if you are using spectra.

I thought the new drag settings they show for these reels was something! I hadn't ever gotten that kind of drag out of my 20 or 30 II's. I like the new handle!

Tom - DBG

4. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

I only have one thing to say about the TLD series from Shimano.

PIECE OF CRAP

A Graphite Frame should not be allowed on any reel unless the angler is a woman or a pantie waste man. I bought 4 when they first came out. The first two frames snapped at the reel seat. I threw them overboard. When I got back to the dock, I burnt and smashed the other two with a sledge hammer.

Shimano is probably my favorite brand of reels. You can't go wrong with a Tiagra, Stella, Trinidad, Calcutta, or Torsa. But, the TLD series needs to go away.

Before you do that, just send em to me Ill use em:D
    I guess I need to use a tiagra cuz I kinda liked the tld for 160bukaroos:eek:

5. Hilo_Kawika

Hilo_Kawika Guest

Geez, I think I have to agree with TeamOso on this one. I have three TLD50 2-speeds and a couple of TLD 25's that have never given me any problems to speak of. I also don't think that Shimano is serious about the drag settings. Perhaps it's the opposite of dumbing down - they're dragging up!

Having said that, since I fish alone, I use fairly conservative drag settings and never more than 50# test line. When the fish and I are both tired, time to bring it on board...:)

"pantie waste man" - ummm...might want to use the spell checker on this one.

6. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

I read a pretty good new equipment article in SaltWater Sportsman and the author touches on the new graphite reels.

He states that the new graphite/boron formula compared to the old graphite is a like comparing apples to oranges due to the improvements that address stiffness and the flexing of the frame/spool under drag pressure.

He gave it a thumbs up as long as you stay within the mfr recommended parameters. He mentions conventional and spinning reels from many mfrs but specifically Shimano.

It's a good read if you're considering graphite reels.

7. BIGFISH4YOU

BIGFISH4YOU Guest

GUNSMOKE IS RIGHT....J-U-N-K...STARTED WITH TEN I THINK THERE IS ONE LEFT. SAME STORY WITH OKUMA TITUS GOLD... OKUMA IS SHORT FOR OKUMA MATADA... MEANS NO FISHING FOR THE REST OF THE DAY!!!

8. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I have had the tld 50s and still have some 25's. They havent given me much trouble. My buddies in CR offered me a 5gallon bucket full of Tld's (25's,30s and 50s)for free, last time I was down there.. They tell me they are JUNK too. For the occasional fisherman they are great, but for day in day out use.. they wont stand up..

9. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I have a 30II and it has served me well as a live bait rig (nice free spool) and some chunking too. I wouldn't use it to chunk for anything over 100lbs. I have the drag set at 16lbs at strike and rarely push over that because of the problems I have read about them breaking at the reel seat. My guess is it is around 22lbs at max.