New Saltist LD

Discussion in 'Reels' started by galveston1602, Oct 3, 2009.

1. galveston1602

galveston1602 Senior Member

Was at BPS today and put my hands on the new saltist 20 ld.

Was surprised at its small size, and I really liked the looks of the flat black and bright blue

It appeared to have a graphite handle sideplate which I wasnt too sure about but, I wouldnt be targeting 200# cows with it anyway :D

The round handle also seemed to feel better than the aluminum handles found on some (higher dollar) reels

with a claimed 22#'s of drag and for less than 300$ the reel may be just the ticket for a mid level jigging reel, I guess I need another one, you can never have too many can you?

Daiwa | Saltist® Lever Drag 2-Speed Conventional Reels

[​IMG]

2. surfkid

surfkid Guest

i acctually own this reel for jigging small game fish. and i love it. even in its high gear it has plenty of torque. only complant is that it has no cast control, but i worked around that quickly. the drag was smooth and easy to adjust. i wanted a 40 for my 1st tuna jigging set up but sadly they arent comming out until december :(

3. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

Did you have to up grade the drag washers?

4. galveston1602

small gamefish? whats small? would you be comfortable jig fishing blackfin or <100# yft? with this reel stock? It felt like it could handle it but, Im guessing as with all things, you never know till you try.

5. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

That's 22# at max and 13# of strike drag. I would be worried about binding with 17-18# of drag if you plan on using on a 300-400g rod.

6. surfkid

surfkid Guest

when i say small gamefish. i mean game fish under 40lbs. stripers, blues,flounder, droping for tog, and even some sharks.
    im poor, so i buy a reel that i can use in many applications =p

as for the drag i hammerd it down pretty good and let my little brother run. no blinding or jolts. then again this was right out of the box. it may react differnt next time now that its done some dirty work for me ;)

7. galveston1602

That's 22# at max and 13# of strike drag. I would be worried about binding with 17-18# of drag if you plan on using on a 300-400g rod.

you always have to go and use logic!

I agree that there is definitely a concern of binding, but, even at 13# it should still fish 50# acceptably. I guess if it doesnt preform well, Ill just have to sell it and buy a JM reel