New Rod/Reel Combo

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by The Business, Jun 11, 2008.

1. The Business

The Business Member

My wife as offered to get me a new rig for my Birthday. Currently, I'm using a 6'6 stella lite star rod/ 400 calcutta and loomis gl2/4500 baitrunner. I'm a little new at this can you give me some suggestions on a little heavier outfit? I mainly fish for Grouper between 30-60 feet out of Cedar Key, FL but would like able to fish deeper and bigger species when I travel to Carabelle and St.Augustine
    I think that I would like to stick with a spinning rod and some very helpful folks have suggest the oti spinning rod(600gram) and a cabo 80 or shimano saragosa 18000. It looks like an extremely nice setup. I mainly use 1 1/2 floreo jigs and have just started experimenting with some of the smaller Shimano Butterfly jigs. Would I still be able to use the lighter jigs with 600 gram rod? A large grouper in the Cedar Key area is between 15-25lbs.
    Thanks for the help with the newbie questions. The more and more I read on the subject, the more confused I think I am.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i would think the OTI300 would be fine for what you are doing
    the 600 would cover all your needs if seeking bigger fish

3. The Business

The Business Member

What reel would you use with oti 300?

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i have the stella 20000 so i would use that
    the saragosa would work also

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

What reel would you use with oti 300?

A penn slammer 760 would work well for the fish you are targeting, or the older 750,850 and 950 made in US models. If you ever get the tuna bug though you would be better off with a stella or a sarogossa.

d-a

6. The Business

The Business Member

i would think the OTI300 would be fine for what you are doing
    the 600 would cover all your needs if seeking bigger fish

Will the 300 work for me if I fish a little deeper water, between 100-150 feet?

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Will the 300 work for me if I fish a little deeper water, between 100-150 feet?

Yes the 300g rod will. Its made for up to 10 oz of weight. Most the time I have never used that much weight grouper fishing. It has plenty back bone to keep them out of the holes too.

d-a

8. The Business

The Business Member

Thanks for all the help, what size saragossa or cabo?

9. The Business

The Business Member

What are some good places to order rods/reel, tackle, etc, online?

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have personally ordered from Melton: Melton International Tackle - Your Home For Big Game Fishing Tackle and Reels )and from charkbait: CharkBait ) ( who provide deals on line.) If you order enough, I think some places will give discounts--but I have not encountered that. Others on this board will have other opinions--both of the ones I mentioned have taken care of my friends and me when we had issues.

Cabelas also has some fairly nice reels and rods:

Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.

A lot of folks order from reputable ebay contacts.

Russ