New Rig Question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by The Business, Oct 17, 2008.

1. The Business

The Business Member

I picked up a Trevala tfs-69ml/Saragosa 5000f at a CCA banquet last night and am planning on using it for Grouper in 30-60 ft, possibly 100ft. Should I use 40#PP or a hollow core braid? Anybody have any experience with this combo and how to rig it?

2. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Welcome to 360tuna!

Not exactly the best grouper setup, IMO. you'll need more drag on the reel & backbone in the rod than any trevalla will give you.
    Guess it really depends on what size groupers you'll be after. in other words
    thats a good 20-30# class setup:D
    tight lines
    -Brian

3. The Business

The Business Member

No probably not, but it was for a good cause and I think it would be easy for the wife to use. A good size Grouper around here is 10lbs, a bigun is in the 15-20lb range. So you think 40# braid is to much?

4. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

No probably not, but it was for a good cause and I think it would be easy for the wife to use. A good size Grouper around here is 10lbs, a bigun is in the 15-20lb range. So you think 40# braid is to much?

That reel will pull about 20# of drag, so I don't think 40# braid is too much. If you won't be fishing deeper than 100' or so, you might even consider 65# braid. It's easier to tie knots in than the 40#, which for me, is kinda like trying to tie a knot in spiderweb.

Welcome to 360Tuna. Where's "around here"?

5. The Business

The Business Member

Mainly out of Cedar Key, Fl, but roam to about Destin. Not as much on the East Coast, but I'd like to when the economy allows for a bigger boat. Thanks for the help!