New Reels

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jerrybarnes13, Nov 20, 2009.

1. jerrybarnes13

jerrybarnes13 Member

Well I bit the bullet today and purchased a Stella 18k and a 20k. Now I need line suggeations for both, and capacity of each reel. I don't mind spending money for the best. I have been using JB for my So cal fishing. Hollow or solid ??. Also rod suggestions for both. I will buy the rods when I get to TX

2. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

JB Hollow all the way. JB60 on both has absolute breaking strength of 90lbs.

Black Devil 100/200 with the 18k (if your fishing GOM go BD100), looking for a steal on a jigging spinner myself but not decided yet.

Definitely worth talking to Kil Song as he has probably tested more rods than anyone we know. Be advised that the next Generation of Rods is in the works for this spring or the year after and there may be some incredible blanks coming out.

3. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Jerry,

What are you using each reel for (target species)? I assume the 18K is for popping and the 20K is for jigging. For the 18K I would suggest JB Hollow 60 lb. For the jigging I like OTI Depth braid, Xzoga metered braid, or Daiwa Boat Braid. Exact capacities I am not sure. I have an 18K spooled with JB Hollow 60 lb. and I am pretty sure it took about 500 yards.

4. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Varivas family is what I swear by...Daiwa boat is the other...

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

not a fan of daiwa, but lots are. varivas or oti...........cant tell a difference other than one is in meters, the other feet.

zenaq is nice as well, but the markings arent as good.

for casting you dont need a color coded line unless you want it.

6. crazyjigger

crazyjigger Guest

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

YGK's Ultra Jigman is as good as Varivas Avani, if not better.

8. jerrybarnes13

jerrybarnes13 Member

What is his website ? Where is his shop located ?

9. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

What is his website ? Where is his shop located ?

Kilsong's??

Jignpop.com

give him a call or PM.

10. DANTE25

DANTE25 Senior Member

VARVIS IS GREAT LINE BUT LIKE BRETT SAID IF YOUR POPPING THERE IS NO NEED FOR THE COLORED LINE.