New reel advice for jigging rod (Shimano)

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Quint, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Quint

Quint Member

Looking for thoughts on the new Shimano Saragosa SWA vs a new 2020 Stella. Besides the obvious price difference which is not a major factor in my decision.

Is there any reason to step up to the Stella, I’ve had numerous Saragosa’s they have all been solid work horses. I’m torn between a new reel either Saragosa or Stella both would be in the 20k size. What are some reasons to go with one over the other?

The rod it is matched up with is a custom built (Thrasher blank) from ZCR.

2. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

I would use the Gosa unless you want to pay the money for a Stella and unless you are chasing 400+ bluefin. Even then seems like the east coast captains chase Bluefin with Gosa's as well. I like the 08 stella myself personally just because I like the looks of the reel. I prefer a used Stella over a new one to help close the huge cost gap...

Quint likes this.

3. Geebz42

Geebz42 Well-Known Member

The 10k Stella monster of a reel as well

4. Quint

Quint Member

Definitely, one of my friends brought one out last season. Good reel for the small-medium bft. Wanted more line capacity. We have been seeing more giants in the mix in past couple of seasons.

5. Geebz42

Geebz42 Well-Known Member

I’m out here in Miami haven’t cought any yet any suggestions

6. Quint

Quint Member

Sorry, I don’t know the FL fishery at all. I’m out of CT and fish mostly S of Long Island

7. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

I don’t think there are BFT out of Fl but looks like nice Yellow fin and Blackfin out there. 10k Stella / Gosa is the perfect reel for them!

jiggingnut likes this.
  8. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

8k will kill damn near anything with larger spool options for florida waters

jiggingnut likes this.