360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
81 Posts
Nice rods....
fishr1989, on your website. I saw pics of some sharks.
They were cut on top of the head?
Why is that done? Does it kill them faster?
Does it bleed them out faster?
Nice Boat.
Thanks, Fonz

G

·
you must be pretty tall becuase that rod doesnt look 5'8" LOL
LOL seriously. if that rod is 5'8" then he's the second coming of andre the giant :p

·
651 Posts
Nice rods....
fishr1989, on your website. I saw pics of some sharks.
They were cut on top of the head?
Why is that done? Does it kill them faster?
Does it bleed them out faster?
Nice Boat.
Thanks, Fonz

The cut severs the spinal cord so they are no longer a danger to the crew, and after a cut in the belly, will keep the hear beating long enough for them to pump out all their blood. It's the best way to kill them, rather than the usual gun to the head, but will not work if going for a record, as it's considered "lancing" the fish.

It does kill them very fast, and is best done with a sharp fillet knife.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honest guys, I know how to use a measuring tape. The rod is 5'9". The picture is an optical illusion.

I weighed two custom made rods to compare. I have a 7" popping rod built on a GUSA 100% graphite blank, and it weighs 17 oz vs. the 24 oz production rod. I have a jigging rod built on a Calstar 700H which weighs 23 oz vs. the 24 oz of the Aquamarine. They are fairly close where as the price is not. The Aquamarine rods run about $150 for the popping and $115 for the jigging.

·
2,924 Posts
During tournaments we wont bleed them out for fear of being DQ'ed for mangling the fish and losing precious weight by losing blood. Non tournaments we will generally tail rope them secure them head and tail and then slit the gill plates that will bleed them out we will also we make a tiny incsision behind the head to severe the cord

secured and being bled out

But sometimes they come back to life ha ha this guy woke up when we swung him inside which is why you sever the cord witha small incision

·
651 Posts
nice mako in the second pic
pretty fat fish...around 200? it's hard to get a scale on the length

·
651 Posts
don't know have to talk to the Cap. wouldn't mind fishing it, only videoed the last day last year, hope to make it to the awards show this year too.

·
SPONSOR
11,834 Posts
They are both 24 ounces. They feel really light for the size.
Any jigging/popping rod over 20 oz is pretty heavy. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts