new OTI rods

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by thenewkid, Jun 26, 2007.

1. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

man these rods must be amazing all ive been seeing alot of posts about them why these rods ? what makes them so damn special

2. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

They are designed for their stated application. They are priced affordable. The fit and finish looks great.
    I field tested a popping rod last Nov on GOM yellow fin tuna. I asked for a little more backbone in the rod. The folks at OTI listened to my inputs about their product and changed the rod for the better. I just finished a four day trip with my new OTI popping rod. It exceeded my expectations.
    I am not involved with Ocean Tackle International. I make no money from sharing my opinion.

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

all you have to do is hold one.... nough said.

4. tass

tass Member

Love their jigging rods

5. bpitcher

bpitcher Senior Member

I got the chance to handle and sell the OTI rods this past weekend and the summer boat show. All I can say is they're an awesome product at an awesome price. Go try and find another jigging rod that will handle 30lbs of drag that well for under 300 dollars.

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I got the chance to handle and sell the OTI rods this past weekend and the summer boat show. All I can say is they're an awesome product at an awesome price. Go try and find another jigging rod that will handle 30lbs of drag that well for under 300 dollars.
    which model handles 30# of drag? and what reel do you use for 30#? i have not seen these rods yet. they sounds nice. any pics of 30# of drag on rod? i was trying lift 25# with a 700H calstar and a torium 30, i could not lock the reel drag enough to lift the weight, we did lift it with the 700XH and new tiagra 16 but it was hard to turn handle

7. SkeeterRonnie

torium 30 will not handle 30# of drag.. MAYBE with a carbon fiber/cals plate upgrade... then the anitreverse will explode when a fish hits with that much. Tiagra 16 is a sweeeeeet reeel. Upgrade the handle and it will turn easier.
    I do believe OTI MAXED out the rod at 30# of drag just to see if it would handle it.... I would fish it at 22-25# of drag.

8. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

torium 30 will not handle 30# of drag.. MAYBE with a carbon fiber/cals plate upgrade...
    yeah i know:D ..it was on the kitchen table and it was the first reel i grabbed,:D ..so all he has to do is change the handle on the 16 and it will not bind? what is the handle to use?

9. SkeeterRonnie

BIND? depends on HOW MUCH drag he has set in... I modified a Penn 30 handle to fit on the one I had. try a T-Bar handle... the Tiagra shouldnt be binding unless he has 100# dialed in....lol.

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Paul: Just curious, since I too have both the 700H and 700XH, (though both of mine are spinners): What is the most drag or deadlift you have ever put on each of these two rods with any reel? I have been up close to 30--say 27 or 28 with the H rod and up to 35 with the XH version.

Russ

11. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i was deadlifting 2 10# barbells and bar with ends..it had the 700H bent in half ..i am doing a jigging "seminar" LOL..on sunday..video and pics will be taken..along with a scale reading for more info..

12. bpitcher

bpitcher Senior Member

which model handles 30# of drag? and what reel do you use for 30#? i have not seen these rods yet. they sounds nice. any pics of 30# of drag on rod? i was trying lift 25# with a 700H calstar and a torium 30, i could not lock the reel drag enough to lift the weight, we did lift it with the 700XH and new tiagra 16 but it was hard to turn handle
    the 5'6 600g model will handle 30lbs easy. i believe when they were testing the blanks, most were breaking at 40+lbs. that doesn't mean i would fish it with that much, but the rod should be able to handle it.

A lot of the avet jigging reels will pull 30 locked down as well as the accurates too I believe.

13. 6x6

6x6 Guest

Thanks for all the info about JIGGING & POPING RODS it has been a real help .
    I just placed an order for the OTI 5-6 jigging rod cant what to us it.Ill be on the BIG E July 18-20. if anyone from the board will be on this trip send me a P.M .

14. ram

ram Junior member

Tony, which model OTI popping is it that has the better backbone. is it the current model at 360Tackle?
    the one that lists:
    Length: 7'0"
    Type: Spinning
    Line Weight: 40-60lb
    Lure Weight: 300g
    Max. Drag: 20lb
    Action: Medium-Slow

15. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

are u asking me or is there another tony here im really :confused: lol

16. ram

ram Junior member

sorry, Tony aka Deep Sea Gull!

17. SkeeterRonnie

7' gives you the extra length to load up the rod and get the popper into the strike zone. fighting a spinner with excessive drag is hard to hold onto.... I am sure you will find 20# of drag perfect on that rod. topwater fish dont seem to fight AS HARD , generally.... until you hook them in the eye socket...lol.

18. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

hey np i was just confused lol wat r the odds right and i agree with skeeter but the only reason tuna on the surface sseem to fight less is because they never get the cjance to dive or do death circles

19. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Ram,

The current rod have more backbone than the one Tony aka DeepSeaGull tested on GEM trip.

20. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Tony, which model OTI popping is it that has the better backbone. is it the current model at 360Tackle?
    the one that lists:
    Length: 7'0"
    Type: Spinning
    Line Weight: 40-60lb
    Lure Weight: 300g
    Max. Drag: 20lb
    Action: Medium-Slow

As TJ stated, it is the current model. I fished a prototype last Nov.
    I'll be in Baton Rouge Saturday. I can bring the rod if you want...