New OTI Jigger (heavy spinning)

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by gimmedeal, Mar 11, 2008.

1. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I've been wanting to try jigging with a spinner and have been patient. TJ told me that one of the new rods OTI was coming out with was a 5'6" 400g spinner. Well it arrived today and I'm pumped. I just feel more comfortable with the position and the way the reel balances right under my hand. I'm putting a Stella 20000 that I intend to spool with 80 Depthfinder (maybe 100?). The blank seems to have a lot of backbone and a tip flexible enough for heavy jigging. I can't wait to try this one out.
    I think that I'll be able to jig with this combination a long time and have the power to handle anything the line will handle.

Fred

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Yeah, I got to pull on some of them this weekend.. You will like it.. very nice..

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Is that the heaviest of the new spinners or is the 400g equivalent to the 80lb class rod TJ mentioned?

4. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it's their heavy jigger. Rod is marked 60-80, 30 lb max drag. And correction, it handles up to 600g jig.

Fred

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it's their heavy jigger. Rod is marked 60-80, 30 lb max drag. And correction, it handles up to 600g jig.

Fred
    I was gonna say I thought it was a 600g rod... it will put a whooping on a fish.. its pretty stout..

6. papio

papio Senior Member

Thanks guys, checks in the mail hehehe.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Fred,

It's a really nice rod, I saw it a few weeks back. It's light and got a nice back to it. It also has that awesome grip. I pulled the trigger early though because I'm an impatient dude and got me a Hot's rod for my jigging outfit. Pull some deadlifts with that thing and post up!

8. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I have also send a request for one to TJ,, now i need to sale my FTU Whopper 500,,,any offers?

Is that the one on Ebay ?:D

9. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I pulled the trigger early though because I'm an impatient dude and got me a Hot's rod for my jigging outfit. Pull some deadlifts with that thing and post up!

Are you going to testing it out on "36hr trip w/tomeny charters 05/10/2008 - 05/11/2008" ?

10. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Dude, you did pull the trigger! Those are really nice rods. What reel are you putting on it? Don't tell me unless it starts with an "S" and ends in and "A"(twinspins excepted). I was thinking about that same rod for a while until I found out OTI was gonna come out with one. Happy I waited, mine looks like a capable rod.

Fred

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Fred,

I'm pairing it with a Stella 16000. =)

ichibahn,

Yeah, it will be one of my rigs I am bringing.