new moon for east coast tuna

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by mike garone, Aug 22, 2008.

1. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I have the opportunity to jump on an overnighter august 31-sept 1 out of point pleasant NJ. I dont want to go and spend the money if there isnt a good shot at fish. I know the fishing hasn't been good recently, but all other things aside is the new moon a decent time to target tuna.

thanks for the help

mike

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

have had both slammer days on the full and new mooons and really crappy trips. Any day fishing is better than a day at home or at work so go for it

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I have the opportunity to jump on an overnighter august 31-sept 1 out of point pleasant NJ. I dont want to go and spend the money if there isnt a good shot at fish. I know the fishing hasn't been good recently, but all other things aside is the new moon a decent time to target tuna.

thanks for the help

mike
    Even though tuna chunking at canyons are dead slow, you should be all right as it is just a matter of time tuna bites at canyon explode.
    Chunking bites at canyons usually start from late Aug, but we experienced chunking bites started much earlier in recent years. It seems the bite patterns go back to normal. Tuna fishermen favor new moon period though I don't pay much attention to moon phase except full moon period.

4. turfman

turfman Member

I've talked to alot of guys going out of Point over the last three weeks. Most of the full time good captains are having good years just as they had in previous years. The YT's are small; but there. Reports from the guy I'm going out with on the 3rd &4th have been nothing but good.