360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have been reading this site for a long while espically the tackle section and advice on rigging thanks for all your posts.Im in australia also unusally i am land based in terms of fishing here there are a few of us and we tend to be a secretive bunch who fish for game fish from land normaly 2 styles live baiting and hi speed spinning normaly determined by location. here we are lucky that at certain rock ledges along the eastern seaboard that game fish come close in . my main location i fish has a varity of fish from large spanish mackeral my PB is 18 kg to big gt but the main fish is blue fin tuna for about 8 months of the year these are common the size depends on the time of year easter 6-12kgs but at this time of year we get 20-30 kg occasionaly a massive one we are sight casting to the pods as they pass the rods i use at my favorite location are both tuna sticks as we tend to use metal lures 85 gram spanied raiders however we do upgrade the trebles which can let you down and add extra owner split ring also we use a lot of the japanese tuna lures such as tackle house lures. Down south with live baiting blufin are found also on the very rare occasion yellow fin have been caught from land . also australia is one of the few places were marlin have been caught from land some lbg fishos i know target this big time however this tends to be confined to one location.
anwaythought i would say hi introduce thanks for all your post on tuna rods rigging and knots
cheers

·
395 Posts
The pier fishermen here in the US would love to have a place like yours in AU to go to sounds like a blast.
A friend from perth showed me a video about fishing from the cliffs it was incredible

G

·
welcome sulla....catching marlin from land....you live in an awesome country. i am going to have to visit your land once and if our dollar ever regains its value....rick

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im on the eastern seabored in queensland but a lot of us travel over to western australia the land based fishng there is extreme you fly into perth then a lot of travel to get to the 2 main spots however damn dangerous there the cliffs are damn high and unlike ledges here were you can try to wim around a headland and reach the beach if you go in there at one of the spots the cliff face extends about 300km without any beach jsut a cliff face and sharks they lose 9 out of 10 fish to sharks and use some strange technics such as helium ballon fishing i plan to go one day but damn dangerous they have the highest number of dealths than any state for this type of fishing

if any body is interested at wathcing some australain land based game fishing including marlin from land try and get a copy of landbased addiction dvd you can buy on line they did a couple i think. Alot of australian online tackle stores have it in stock worth a watch
cheers

·
2,924 Posts
Welcome to the site. Very jealous of fishing from land for any sized tuna, looking forward to reading your posts. Fishing from the bricks is very intriguing as I've seen Australian Anglers fighting Marlin from shore as well. Glad to have you

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Welcome aboard.
When I went to NZ, land based fishing was very popular.
Catching a tuna on land is my dream. :)

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers mate apart from one pier in qld we are damn unlucky there is only one spot for this type of fishing in queensland New south wales and the boys from sydney are lucky to have large selection. where i go takes a fair bit of travel so it tends to be hoilday timeor need a public holiday long weekend to be worth the distance im off there on saterday for a week and big pods have been crusing past my mate just came back on sunday landed a few lost a few to sharks etc hopefully have some pics in a couple of weeks

·
1,095 Posts
Sulla, Welcome Aboard !! Spent 10 years in OZ. Awesome country! I didn't fish there very much but did a little diving out of Perth and Geraldton. Drove the route across the bight between Adelaide, Norseman, and Perth a few times, and always wondered what it would have been like to fish off the bight.... even tho I had to drive over, around or thru dirt and bush barricades to get close to those low cliff edges... probably way too many sharkies... I remember signs along the edges warning not to swim!!!! Brisbane is a fantastic city... spent a week there partying and working.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chf1949 good to here from someone who knows where brisbane is mate . pity you dinot have a go at lbg here over time the fish have got smaller there are pisc that ive seen from the seventies when the ppl where pionering it saw a couple of pics of 120kg yellow fin tuna caught from the rocks and how they managed it with the equipment they had then no idear compared to now .
as for best times for game fish here the season depends were you live the fish migrate down the eastern seaboard but from november to june seems to be the main times here in brisbane for the the boaties blue fins started showing up about a month ago they will make there way south the gold coast has reports of blue, black and striped marlin which have arived same with the tuna hang around til late january while slowly moving south late jan feb march april best months . along most of the coast cairns up norht starts alot earlier . where i fish its lots of small ones in easter and big one october november december here we tend to wacht the sea surface tempreture alot as when its cold the fish head out to sea but for the most part blues are around for 7 months but most places down south they get a 4-8 week window then gone elswere. as for marlin from land theres only one area think its mentioned in landbased addiction dvd i wont post exact details of the area as most austalian lbg forums ban open posting of spots but if you check out the lbg forums theres clues as for the time of year they fish for these jan feb march
hope that helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts