New Lucanus Squid Jig

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MrBill, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

2. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Shimano is also producing Lucanus jigging rods to create a Lucanus Jigging System....much like the butterfly jigging system.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The jigs definitely attract fishermen as Shimano has always good at promoting their products, but I am not sure those jigs attract more fish than existing other jigs. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

what weights do they come in?

5. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

we at ocean tackle international were thinking about producing this type of jig but in field testing found them to be no more or even less productive than our current offerings. due to the high costs invloved and the low productivity of these types of jigs we decided to not do a production run. what isn't mentioned in the article is that the skirts need to be replaced on a regular basis. i am not sure from the photos if the shimano offering has the same type of skirts. i am not sure of the shimano pricing but i would thnk some where in the 12 to 20 dollar range for a 5 or 6 ounce jig. as stated in the article these types of jigs are for bottom fishing and are even less productive higher up in the water column. i am fairly certain with their marketing dollars that they will move a tremendous amount of jigs and rods. just remember that as great as the introduction of the shimano butterfly jigging system was there were better offerings out there that produced fish and better rods that you could fish......rick

6. TU-NA

TU-NA Guest

That squid catches some wierd fish! lol

7. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Looks like a variant of the bucktail jigs many of us use already!

DBG

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

we at ocean tackle international were thinking about producing this type of jig but in field testing found them to be no more or even less productive than our current offerings. due to the high costs invloved and the low productivity of these types of jigs we decided to not do a production run. what isn't mentioned in the article is that the skirts need to be replaced on a regular basis. i am not sure from the photos if the shimano offering has the same type of skirts. i am not sure of the shimano pricing but i would thnk some where in the 12 to 20 dollar range for a 5 or 6 ounce jig. as stated in the article these types of jigs are for bottom fishing and are even less productive higher up in the water column. i am fairly certain with their marketing dollars that they will move a tremendous amount of jigs and rods. just remember that as great as the introduction of the shimano butterfly jigging system was there were better offerings out there that produced fish and better rods that you could fish......rick
    That is exactly what I observed. :)

9. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

That is a nice looking seabass caught on the Jig.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

That squid catches some wierd fish! lol
    you're probably referring to the 2nd pic - a wolf fish. Great eating but yeah, real mean looking.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

weired, but very tasty.

[​IMG]

12. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

13. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

It's all about marketing. Shimano is a huge company and this new line will be very successful. This new line of bottom fish tackle will sell like hotcakes. I do agree with ksong and mcgolfer that many jigs work just fine on the bottom. It's still hard to beat the old diamond jig. I normally just send down a live piggy and I'm finished with a limit in two drops.

I don't bottom fish very much and my wife very seldom gives me an order for fish. She loves to cook red snapper, and I always stop off on the ride back in the catch a couple for her. That keeps her off my back and quiet.

A quiet woman is a good woman. We all need our peace and quiet and a five minute stop for a few snapper gives me some nice quiet alone time. If they ever outlaw snapper, I'll just buy a salt water aquarium and grow them at home for her. It will be worth it.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Even Dennis Braid jumped on the bandwagen. :)

[​IMG]

15. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

Very interesting. I'm checking them out now. Thanks...

16. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

i like the new calcutta, might get one of those but not the whole system

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The manager of this fish market had to put a note in this Wolf Fish's mouth.

Attached Files:

18. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i have some hollow squid bodies in glow/black back pattern. I can push a 8oz diamond jig up its arse and it looks pretty neat in the water!

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Attached Files:

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

i have some hollow squid bodies in glow/black back pattern. I can push a 8oz diamond jig up its arse and it looks pretty neat in the water!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.