360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish mostly for east coast yellowfin tuna, trolling using only Shimano LRS 50s 2 speeds and a 6 ft all roller Chaos 80 class rods . . . these rods reels have been absolutely great . . . even on 200 pound plus big eyes . . .

New boat is a 1963 Bertram 38 ft and I want to change my approach to fishing

I now want to significantly reduce the total weight of the rods and reels I use to trolling for tuna . . . and some occassional jigging . . . this year I am going to start doing over night trips looking for swords

I am thinking of:
- aluminium framed reels that will give me 30 plus pounds of reliable drag
- 6 ft all roller stand-up rods
- possibly graphite rather than aluminium butts

I prefer using JB hollow braid line

What suggestions fo you have?

Willing to go up to $600 per rod and reel combination. Will be needing 9 or 10 sets of these to make a complete spread.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

G

·
i think with the reels you've got lots of choices, but im not keen on jigging with roller guides. any thoughts to maybe 5 pure trolling setups that you could also drop bait for swords and then maybe 4 jigging setups? you can troll with shorter jigging rods. not their intended use but there really isnt something that IMO is going to be a 'perfect' fit for trolling and jigging.

why not keep most of the trolling setups you have then get a few jigging setups? the weight isnt as big of a deal when dragging lures behind a boat. much more of an issue when jigging all night.

·
537 Posts
A good trolling rod will make a terrible jigging rod, and vice versa! I certainly do not know of one rod that would work reasonably well for both.

There are so many choices out there, and everyone's opinion will be different. One thing to think about is that you say you want slick butts rather than aluminum butts; that will be a large weight and cost savings, but IMHO the slick butts also are a little trickier to get out of rod holders (they flex a little and stick inside the rod holders once a fish hooks up). Chances are good you will harness up, so several ounces of weight shouldn't matter much.

For trolling in the Jersey Shore area, looking for BFT (on the smaller range, mostly in the 100 lb range), I have been very happy using Shimano Tyrnos 30 II (41 oz, $360) with Seeker BTS 660XH 6' AR/AB ($313), but that has an aluminum butt; you can get the same rod (still with all rollers) with a slick butt (BTS 660 XH 6' AR) for $257, and that would be at your price point. You could also easily drop down to the one-speed Tyrnos 30 and save another $100. The Tyrnos has 33 lbs of drag and a 5:1 gear ratio in the one-speed, or the same 33 lbs of drag and 5:1 and 2:1 ratios in the 2-speed; in hindsight I would have gone with the single-speed because I have not used the 2:1 yet; but that two speed might be a big help with deep swordies.

For jigging...you will find MANY options there, just search on this board for a few minutes...this is a frequent subject of discussion here! Just look at the Jigging and Popping forum.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
were can one get that carpenter rod?
I carry Carpenter in the US, but I don't know the particular rod which Mogi san used is available or not. Carpenter rods are kinds of custom rods and are very hard to get. I don't expect Carpenter rods I ordered come before April.

Based on my testing, the new carbon Black Hole rods can handle those big tuna too.

·
234 Posts
I carry Carpenter in the US, but I don't know the particular rod which Mogi san used is available or not. Carpenter rods are kinds of custom rods and are very hard to get. I don't expect Carpenter rods I ordered come before April.

Based on my testing, the new carbon Black Hole rods can handle those big tuna too.

Hi Kil ,

BB52-B is a custom rod and generally it takes 10 months for Carpenter to deliver a custom rod order . I am very low in rod stock situation too but still have a few odd ones .

Jon .

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Hi Kil ,

BB52-B is a custom rod and generally it takes 10 months for Carpenter to deliver a custom rod order . I am very low in rod stock situation too but still have a few odd ones .

Jon .

Jon is one of the biggest Carpenter dealers in the world and he is a good source to get a particular model of Carpenter rods.
Besides, no one can give more info about each Carpenter rod action and characteristics than Jon except Konish san. :)

·
11 Posts
If you're looking for a change try an avet 30 exw with a seeker or calstar rod.You can put 600 yds 100lbs jb with a 100 yd 80lbs topshot. This set up has a nice feel for trolling. I would'nt change the whole spread just add a couple lighter setups every year. The tld 50 are a nice reel I have 2 and 5 tiagra 30w and 2 avet30w.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Here is a picture of using light 450g Black Hole rod and Accurate B230 for jigging deepwater snowy grouper after trolling for marlin and sailfish.
I foresee trolling setups are going to be getting light with the advance of powerful, but light new carbon rods.

·
234 Posts
Jon is one of the biggest Carpenter dealers in the world and he is a good source to get a particular model of Carpenter rods.
Besides, no one can give more info about each Carpenter rod action and characteristics than Jon except Konish san. :)

Hi Kil ,

Ha, ha ,ha , not quite but yes I am the first Carpenter dealer outside Japan , however getting rods from Carpenter needs good timing and lots of requesting . What I know about Carpenter rods is because I ask Kenji-san whenever I meet him but of late I haven't seen him for awhile now , may be I should visit him . :p

Jon .

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Received you PM

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts