new jig in town

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by kidflex, Dec 30, 2008.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

hey boys has anyone fished the smith mejiyume SL jigs yet. i just got a 400gm and this thing is bad azz. i "might" have to put up my nagamasas for a little bit and try these most of the year. this is the nicest looking jig ive seen and have plenty of confidence in it. i cant believe i havent discovered this jig in this size earlier.will post a pic in the morning.
    smith naga 400 and mejiyume 400
    [​IMG]
    top view
    [​IMG]
    bottom view
    [​IMG]
    these pics do not give the jig justice. i am in love with this jig and havent even fished it yet.

2. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Where did you buy them. I like the flash !

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You might get them at Anglers Proshop.
    Mejiume short jigs look very nice. The jigs are secret weapons for some, but you can not keep your secret forever. :)

[​IMG]

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Brian that jig has been around for a while, its an old school jig 555. The kings love em. I had 3 with me in Ala, but my whole jig bag was left in the truck.

d-a

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

You might get them at Anglers Proshop.
    Mejiume short jigs look very nice. The jigs are secret weapons for some, but you can not keep your secret forever. :)

[​IMG]
    how long are the short jigs? short enough for tuna?? ;)

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

the SL hasnt been out that long though. i have the short jig.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

the SL hasnt been out that long though. i have the short jig.

Aps hasn't had them that long, but they have been around a year or 2

d-a

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

they are definitely new to me and i think these will kill many fish!

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

they are definitely new to me and i think these will kill many fish!

The do, I always have a few in my bag along with the naga, and the jitterbells.

d-a

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

ahh the jitterbel, a highly underrated jig. i forgot about these. i need to stock up on the 420's. my goal this year is to use only a couple of jigs for all waters and species. ie naga 400, mejiyume SL 400, flat side, and drift tune. and jitterbel in the rigs.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

how long are the short jigs? short enough for tuna?? ;)

The jig is 158cm/210g jig. I handpicked them for tuna jigging. :)
    Here is size comparison of jigs.

-240g Drift Tune
    -Duel Tamentai jig
    -Smith Mejiume jig
    -8 oz hammerd diamond jig
    -220 g Seven Sea's Hooker jig
    [​IMG]

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ah yes, looks excellent for tuna :)

Is the Duel jig very expensive?

13. gman

gman Senior Member

I used them in NC for amberjack, they work great and have a tremendous finish

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

ah yes, looks excellent for tuna :)

Is the Duel jig very expensive?
    The Duel jig is about $19.
    I just bought them for testing tuna.
    This tiny lure is expensive though. It cost about $45 as it is hand cut lure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

is it as small as the flitz? i was shocked when you showed me how small that lure was.

make sure you dont drop that jig when bluefish are around!!! ;)

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

is it as small as the flitz? i was shocked when you showed me how small that lure was.

make sure you dont drop that jig when bluefish are around!!! ;)
    This lure is a little bigger than Flitz lure.

[​IMG]

17. workin

workin Member

The Duel jig is about $19.
    I just bought them for testing tuna.
    This tiny lure is expensive though. It cost about $45 as it is hand cut lure.

$45!! Holy $hit!! Don't want to fish that sucker around rigs. I wonder if I can market a lure made out of a smashed trolling sinker with a $20 bill wrapped around it. Or then again, maybe in my case I should make a lure made out of a pair of panties - they sure catch my eye and make me waste my money on 'em.

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

$45!! Holy $hit!! Don't want to fish that sucker around rigs. I wonder if I can market a lure made out of a smashed trolling sinker with a $20 bill wrapped around it. Or then again, maybe in my case I should make a lure made out of a pair of panties - they sure catch my eye and make me waste my money on 'em.
    Some Japanese jigs are $80. :eek: Funny thing is many jig fishermen don't hesitate to buy those expensive jigs when someone claims only those jigs worked on his trip. :)

19. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Frank, spend $45 on beer, drink it, and melt the cans.

20. workin

workin Member

Frank, spend $45 on beer, drink it, and melt the cans.

It's a good strategy; I've been saving my cans for years. My beer can portfolio has outperformed my stock portfolio by 9.6% annualized yield over the last five years. I wish I had my 401k in beer cans. I had to quit saving cans, though, since the little woman moved in and is trying to make me more respectable. Apparently, having a huge pile of smashed beer cans in plastic bags sitting in the garage is A-1 redneck white-trash behaviour. Thus, love has forced me to abandon this lucrative practice. Like I said: them panties is expensive ;-) Besides, the price of aluminum is down.

$45 for that little jig gives me hope anyway; maybe somebody will pay a good price for these wahoo lures I'm making.

Man, somebody please put a trip together and rescue me from the drudgery of painting (the little woman again).

Happy New Year, folks!

F