new jig for???

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by tnhunter, Jun 9, 2009.

1. tnhunter

tnhunter Junior member

I purchased a dozen of these kastmaster type jigs in 4oz. these are 3 1/4 inches long and almost 1 1/4 wide. I have used kastmaster jigs for freshwater stripers and they work great. how do you think they will work for saltwater jigging???:) :) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

use them as a casting jig

3. GanderVA

GanderVA Senior Member

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

change split rings and hooks. they should be very effective most saltwater fish. i would definitely cast those

5. tnhunter

tnhunter Junior member

Yeah, The split rings & hooks aren't much. I have changed some out!!!

6. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I betcha they'd work great. As recommended, beef up the rings and hooks.

7. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I don't think those were intended to be jigs in the traditional sense. They cast well and are deadly. We used to use smaller ones in FL to catch Jacks off the jetties. Lots of fun. Barracudas like them too :mad:

8. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

use heavy split rings and put two together in series, with a large treble on the end.. and you have a goofy 8 ounce jig ;) LOL!!! :)

9. workin

workin Member

Hey,

There's been a speckled trout lure around forever called a "Mr Champ." It's the exact same jig body but they put a piece of bucktail on the back. They work great for trout, and it was always a go-to lure for me because they cast so well. Last trip out I put a single hook on a similar rig and used them to catch hardtails for bait.

F