New high-end Spinning Reel from Penn

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Mar 2, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

While I had jigging sessions of Canyon Runner seminars on Saturday, I had a chance to talk about new Penn spinning reels with Penn representatives.
    They say they have had intensive field test the reels and the reels could be availabe by fall this year. The price is around $600 and there are three different sizes.
    They also said the reels are manufactured in PA ,not in China.
    This is a good new as it add one more option for jigging and popping fishermen who are looking for quality reels.

2. flyerphan13

flyerphan13 Junior member

I was thinking about buying a VS or Stella a few months back, but until I see what Penn has to offer I am not spending a dime. Especially since it will be made in USA. I have Penn spinning reels that are over 25 years old, I still have faith in them.

3. fishyhat

fishyhat Guest

Buy American.

Help the economy

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Buy American.

Help the economy
    Most Penn reels are made in China, except a few models. :eek:

5. bigjay282

bigjay282 Member

gotta go AMERICAN baby:D :cool: :eek:

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ill buy whichever reel is best in the price range i want to spend regardless of where its made.

7. gman

gman Senior Member

cant sacrafice quality for where its made

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Penn has pretty much fallen by the wayside. They tried to live off of their past name they built for themselves without trying to advance with the technology.

9. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

ill buy whichever reel is best in the price range i want to spend regardless of where its made.
    Yes agree - Quality/Price 1st

10. shorecaster96744

shorecaster96744 Member

I work in a fishing store, and sad to say too bad penn had to make the choice that they did, I've seen many of their reels fail 850ssm brand new with four main gear teeth stripped off, new ssg models although lighter and smoother than the old ss series reels, break and or are not able to take as much use and abuse as before. There are so many reels with plastic parts nowadays that its pretty sad. I think only the internationals are still U.S. made, everything else is chinese made, quality control standards definately need improvement. Shimano same thing only JDM models and trinidad and stellas are japan made, everything else is in malyasia. I've also heard that Fin Nor has gone chinese as well. So sad :(

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It is not just Penn. Even high quality Japanese jigging/popping rods are made in China.
    Penn, Abu Garcia, Berkerly, Fhluger, Seven Strand, Mitchell now are under one group while Fin Nor, Zebco, Van Staal and Quantum are under one group.
    So it is meaningless to distinguish products made in America or outside of America.

12. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

It is not just Penn. Even high quality Japanese jigging/popping rods are made in China.
    Penn, Abu Garcia, Berkerly, Fhluger, Seven Strand, Mitchell now are under one group while Fin Nor, Zebco, Van Staal and Quantum are under one group.
    So it is meaningless to distinguish products made in America or outside of America.

Kil, which ones of the high quality Japanese jigging/popping rods are manufactured in China?

13. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Any sneak pics of this new penn spinner?

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, which ones of the high quality Japanese jigging/popping rods are manufactured in China?
    It is a kind of secret for them. But there are very few rod manufactures in Japan.
    Tenryu might be one of few rod manufacturers in Japan, but there is a rumor that some Tenryu rods are also made outside Japan.

15. shorecaster96744

shorecaster96744 Member

Just picked up a shimano tiralejo, no surprise it was made in china, hopefully the rod will hold up.

16. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Quality control is the key for Chinese made products.

There are tons of top brand rods, reels, lure manufactures that have their products made in China.

17. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Oh please don't let this thread turn into all the others that plague the "other" popular sites...

Not 360tuna please, any other site but this one.