New Here; Slow Pitch Limits

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Feldguy, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

Hi,

This is the first forum post I've made in almost a decade so....I'll start off by saying I've been reading through everything I can get my hands on and have little experience with jigging and almost none slow pitch.

I had a standard-ish setup I was content with but didn't feel like it was the best fit, XXH Trevala and an Accurate FURY 600NN.

I'm 6'8" so the mechanics of the rod didn't fit me so well,but that's another story altogether.

I want to try SPJ but my most major question is, is SPJ intended on substituting or supplementing your jigging game? Do I carry a standard setup for heavier things, like larger tuna or do I go with a heavy (450-500g) rated rod? I fish anything from fluke and seabass to bft and yft, even the possibilities of bigeyes in the summer.

There are too many options and I want them all but I have a No-Boss like many...

I have two reels I'm looking to use a seigler sgn an an accurate valiant 600NN but I'm open to other suggestions and gear from those with experience. Aside from the reels, which are certainly not set in stone, I'm a blank slate.

I've read some about the Temple Reef products being an excellent selection, not sure I want to sell off anything to replace it with such an expensive rod I may not be effective with.

I appreciate any information and certainly hope everyone is staying safe and healthy out there. -James

2. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Buy a single setup, and see if you like it,
    if so, change out your gear.
    IMO not much to SPJ in the NE.
    Get a seabass/porgy setup to SPJ with.

Some guys are 100% SPJ followers,
    some add it to their mix of techniques.

tugasangler likes this.

3. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

Thanks Jack. Appreciate the reply. How about yourself?

4. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

It depends on where you’re going to spend a lot of time fishing . Slow jigging has grown here because many of us fish the gulf . With me fishing the gulf almost exclusively these past 10years .

the reels you mentioned will work just fine based on your mentioned size. I for one have seen the benefits of slow jigging but nothing I’ve seen will ever make me put down a bait rod , yet.

5. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

6. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

If you want to use for offshore.
    Buy a used SPJ rod for tuna on this site.
    Buy one SPJ jig.
    Use your reel.

Attach a bait rig to your SPJ rod/reel,
    send down a chunk or something live.
    Hook up, fight fish with SPJ rod/reel.

You will then know if you need more
    SPJ jigs, or its all going back on 360 for sale.

:)

7. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

Hey HJ you didn’t tell him to send me a PM when he’s going to sell his jig. Lol

Benny

HungryJack, tugasangler and jshorty like this.
  8. a1flyfishr

Hi FG, HJ is right saying don’t buy a bunch of SP tackle. Also, If you can you should buy used and minimal. This style is not for everyone, just like trolling, or other fishing styles aren’t for everyone. I suggest looking at YouTube SPJ videos and study the few different techniques. Can’t think of any specific videos, but youtube Japanese angler secrets, or just search Slow Pith Jigging. If you think you’ll like this way of fishing get a set up that will most fit your fishing area and budget. Better hope it’s not for you if you want to save lots of cash. Lol. Good Luck

Benny

9. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Senior Member

Just one guys opinion. I’m all in on SPJ but not to the exclusion of other styles of fishing. I still use bait, cast top water, speed jig, etc. Like you, i fish for fluke, tog, tuna, etc. My use of SPJ is very specific to deep jigging on party boats in the Northeast for Tile, Barrel, Sea Bass, etc. It also works great in the gulf on the YC. I’ve identified 2 setups that work perfectly (for me).

Ive spent the last few years selling off a lot of tackle I don’t need or wasn’t ideal for my uses and focused on those that fit my interests perfectly. Down from dozens of rods/reels to 18 combinations that address my needs.

Basically, I’ve got a full bag of clubs with a few extras for very special circumstances. For me, SPJ is a special circumstance, but one I increasingly enjoy and tend to look forward to the most.

jshorty and tugasangler like this.
  10. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

Figure that sounds about what I expected.

So as far as recommendations for a heavier tune oriented rod, what would everyone suggest? I don't want to break the bank but also don't want to spend a few hundred on something I can't resell.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  11. a1flyfishr

With SPJ you don’t pick a setup for the fish you targeting. The rod and reel are picked to match the jigs you will be using. So you really can’t say I would like a SPJ rod for fluke or a specific species. The rods are made to give the best possible action to a specific jig weight. But sometimes taking it outside the box a bit helps also. Like using a jig outside the rods range to slow down or speed up the jigs action.

Benny

jshorty likes this.
  12. bigtexas

bigtexas Well-Known Member

Black Hole 581H3R wont break the bank and is capable of school sized tuna 50-100 pounds. This is a slow pitch rod that can handle a lot more lifting than most, I personally think it would be perfect for targeting tuna.

Pair this with a 500N/600NN Accurate.

kellerman2006 and tugasangler like this.
  13. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

Which adds all new questions! That said, I think I've got the idea now.

Now it's on to braid selection and buying some jigs.

I like the black hole stuff, but I've also read the action is closer to traditional jigging.

I'm sure everyone agrees this covid pandemic is putting a damper on a lot of ways of our lives. I could normally drive somewhere and verbally bludgeon a tackle shop owner or tech into getting me to make a decision. Haha

14. a1flyfishr

I like SunLine Ult 4 and Ult 8 depending on my depth, and PE1.5 to P4. I did hear good things about Berkeley Super Fireline and know of guys who use it and love it and with great results. I’ll give it a try when my supply of sunline is gone.

Benny

15. a1flyfishr

Where are you located? I can help you out with a couple of knockoffs just to get the feel for it.

Benny

HungryJack likes this.
  16. bigtexas

bigtexas Well-Known Member

I caution you to be sure you're not being sold something else when you read that. I've owned slow pitch rods from pretty much every brand out there and can assure you the black hole rods are fine slow pitch rods. If you're used to conventional jigging or bait fishing they are arguable a BETTER fit for you as they are more forgiving of lifting and controlling large fish.

I don't personally believe that "traditional" slow pitch technique will be particularly effective on a 100 pound tuna, and would bet money that it would lead to a broken rod in the hands of someone inexperienced at fighting fish of all sizes on this gear.

BrianHouston and HungryJack like this.
  17. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

Jersey

18. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

Sorry for the single word answer.

Was driving. Central NJ, loving every minute of this lockdown. I appreciate the camaraderie and coaching very much. I'm sorry I didn't jump on here sooner.

a1flyfishr likes this.
  19. a1flyfishr

Haha no problem! Yes! It’s a great forum and it was much better years ago, when it was a real fishing forum. Lately it’s been a buy and sell place but I like to buy so it works for me. I’ll take a look and see what SP jigs I have around that I haven’t used in awhile. Drive safe no need to reply.

Benny

20. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

Nice! Thoughtful of you, let me know what you want for them.

Well received information. I will definitely have a conventional setup, but also will take another look at the BH rods as I've never personally handled them and it's all opinion based.