New Harness Lugs for Spinners

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by Bazztex, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Reel Colors has a new Harness Lug that you can add to a Spinning rod or Conventional that does'nt have lugs.

The closed ring is for Unibutt Rods made to fit between the lock rings or can be added to new rods during the building process.

The two part lug ring (bolt together) is for rods with solid / existing handles and lists at $22.95 each.. says they are on the way??

Check them out at www.ReelColors.com/reelcolors_011.htm

Have A Great Weekend Yall! ;)

Bazz

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Txseadog,
    I believe you are putting these split rings on the two super seeker spinners you are building. Is that correct? Keep an eye out for your mail. I sent you something this morning.

3. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Txseadog,
    I believe you are putting these split rings on the two super seeker spinners you are building. Is that correct? Keep an eye out for your mail. I sent you something this morning.

Yes. You need to decide if want them mounted above or below the reel seat. It's all personal preference, McGolfer likes them on the top but I like them on the bottom...

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I'm a high sticker. If I wear a belt I keep the gimbal a couple inches above the knee. It would be more comfortable for me to have them on the top. I'm about 5'11" and built like a beer keg. When I put the pressure on most rods, they tend to shatter. I've got a bad habit of not short stroking. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Looks like the trip I was going to use them on might be history. Gunsmoke must have some his deadbeat In-laws on the trip. The deadline to pay up was today and only 40% have paid in full. Looks like a hunting trip the last weekend of Oct.

5. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Senior Member

Looks like the trip I was going to use them on might be history. Gunsmoke must have some his deadbeat In-laws on the trip. The deadline to pay up was today and only 40% have paid in full. Looks like a hunting trip the last weekend of Oct.

That too bad about the trip. You were my scout. I guess neither one of us will ever make it on a head boat again. I'll never forget our last head boat trip. I think it was the first 40 hour trip on the Dolphin. That was at least 20 years ago. Remember when you told the Capt that you could swim faster than that pile of junk?

When you jumped overboard and started your backstroke, I was the only one laughing. That was a classic moment. Like I always said, "When you put 40 cows in a truck, some are going to piss on you while your standing in all the bull crap."

6. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Not To Worry Mr Bill

Cinco's Demise has been greatly exagerated... It's On Like Donkey Kong!

The Blue Water Blow Up crew is fishing aboard the Big E as we speak.. I hope they fill the boat!

Bazz

7. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey Bazz- I picked one of these up a few weeks ago at FTU for the price you listed.

8. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Tom

Thanks for the info , I'll pick one up for my new spinner rig.

We're planing on droping by FTU on the way to Freeport for the Cinco Trip.

Bazz

9. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

is it possible to put them on a factory built rod with a Fuji DPSH graphite reel seat that is flush to the grip? I just bought a Shimano t-Curve Bluewater Spin rod, and was interested in possibly placing the rings on it.

10. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i do believe there is a type of ring that is made for "already assembled" spinning rods.

The two part lug ring (bolt together) is for rods with solid / existing handles and lists at $22.95 each.. says they are on the way??

Check them out at Rod Ring

11. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

The thing is, the reel seat is not the aluminum type where there are multiple locking rings, so the rod ring can be added before or after them, it's a graphite one that sits flush to the front grip.

I'll post pictures later, but I seems like I may have to file down the hypalon and add the ring onto the grip itself rather than onto the seat, or it may not be possible

12. SkeeterRonnie

i went to academy and got the "Po Mans RIng"... its a "D-ring" made of stainless that people use for their anchor rings.. it slipped down the rod and firmly onto the hypalon.... perfect for hooking to a harness... i have a single strap that i made, it goes over my head and one shoulder.... i can hook it to the ring :) I dont like to rest, cause when I rest- the fish is resting... I will rest when I am dead... :)

13. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

i went to academy and got the "Po Mans RIng"... its a "D-ring" made of stainless that people use for their anchor rings.. it slipped down the rod and firmly onto the hypalon.... perfect for hooking to a harness... i have a single strap that i made, it goes over my head and one shoulder.... i can hook it to the ring :) I dont like to rest, cause when I rest- the fish is resting... I will rest when I am dead... :)

cheap route for spinners.....

osCommerce

<shrug>

14. Josh

Josh Junior member

did you ever find a way to put the rod ring on your rod with the graphite reel seat?

15. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

nah, gave up on that idea

16. SkeeterRonnie

try the clevis ring from Academy it slips down over the hypalon and keeps a snug fit. wont rotate. plenty of space to hook in the the harness too.

17. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

skeeter, do you have a picture of the device you're talking about? I'm interested, and know the next big game spinner I buy or maybe have made I'll just get the Aftco seat and the rod ring to go with it.

for now, I'll take my graphite seat and man up, fish the rod with either just a belt for the gimbal, or grin and bear it with the gimbal cover and no belt or harness....but I'd really love one of the Tuna Max belts for sale at Angler's Proshop :p

if only I hadn't bought that avet.....:rolleyes:

18. Josh

Josh Junior member

thanks ill look it up. has anyone tried the z grips what the company who makes the rod rings make? if so how are they im interested just after seeing them.