New handle for my Gorilla 12C

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by YMMV, Aug 18, 2009.

1. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Installed a new handle on my Gorilla 12C. Bought it off the auction site after reading one of the handle threads. ---> http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/after-market-handle-6092/

Was very simple, but had to make small spacer for the mounting hole in the handle arm. The mounting screw is smaller then the diameter of the hole in the arm. Easily fixed with a small plastic tube/spacer. This handle is actually meant for a Accurate reel. Handle is on nice and solid. Like this better then the original knob. Plus it feels lighter. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Installed a new handle on my Gorilla 12C. Bought it off the auction site after reading one of the handle threads. ---> http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/after-market-handle-6092/

Was very simple, but had to make small spacer for the mounting hole in the handle arm. The mounting screw is smaller then the diameter of the hole in the arm. Easily fixed with a small plastic tube/spacer. This handle is actually meant for a Accurate reel. Handle is on nice and solid. Like this better then the original knob. Plus it feels lighter. :D

Looks good.

I wonder if a bearing from bocabearings.com would also help solve that problem. If its not too much trouble can you post images of the handle arm without the handle and show the plastic bushing you used.

Ty

3. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I've gotten use to the stock handle on my 12C and sort of like it now. I wouldn't think of changing it now. But the big rubber handle on regular gorilla would be a different story. I would stick one of those on in place of that rubber monstrosity in a heart beat.

But thats just me :)

4. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Looks good.

I wonder if a bearing from bocabearings.com would also help solve that problem. If its not too much trouble can you post images of the handle arm without the handle and show the plastic bushing you used.

Ty

Here ya go Ty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The handle is JM LT-51 which is the oldest. Silver ones I have are a little longer than other color LT-51 as you seen in the picture below.
    The handles and shafts are designed for Accurate reels which you can take out inner shaft by unscrewing. However the shaft to fit to any reel if you drill the hole a little bit. Some reels don't need any drilling as the hole is same as Accurate's like John Baker reel.

The LT-51/Accurate shaft comes with two ball bearings.
    I see only one bearing and you should get two bearings.

[​IMG]

6. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Thanks for the updated photos. Would be interesting to see how well that plastic bushing hold up under the compression loads you will exert on them. Be sure to take some extra ones with you on your tuna trips.

If you have a digital caliper or millimeter ruler then take some measurements of the inner and outer diameter of the plastic bushing and I will search boca bearings site for you. I used them to replace the plastic bushing in my Saltist 30T reel and I could feel the difference.

Ty

7. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Kill, it did come with 2 bearings. They both were in the mounting shaft when i took the pictures. The inner bearing is the larger of then the outter (which screws into the handle itself).

8. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

If you have a digital caliper or millimeter ruler then take some measurements of the inner and outer diameter of the plastic bushing and I will search boca bearings site for you. I used them to replace the plastic bushing in my Saltist 30T reel and I could feel the difference.

Ty

Ill take some measurements. The only reason I did with the plastic busing is that inside the mounting arm is thread and didn't want to damage the thread. I def will have a spare spacer in case anything comes up.

9. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

i just bought one myself 34.99 plus shipping is a great price pretty quality stuff and fast shipping.

10. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ill take some measurements. The only reason I did with the plastic busing is that inside the mounting arm is thread and didn't want to damage the thread. I def will have a spare spacer in case anything comes up.

Oh that makes sense now... with a threaded handle arm a metal bearing might do some damage.

Ty

11. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

How long is the handle arm? Please take a measurement whenever you have a chance. Thanks!

12. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

How long is the handle arm? Please take a measurement whenever you have a chance. Thanks!

1 11/16" - a hair under 1 3/4". From end to end.

13. elpescador

elpescador Senior Member

had the same trouble with the hole dia on a trini 40n, went to my mates machine shop and he made me a ss insert. cost me a six pack of beer of which i drunk half anyway!

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

had the same trouble with the hole dia on a trini 40n, went to my mates machine shop and he made me a ss insert. cost me a six pack of beer of which i drunk half anyway!
    You need special shaft for TN40/Torsa to install without making hole and I have them in stock.

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah tuna toys had to make something for mine. good to know that there is something that JM makes now without having to machine it :)

the handles are really really nice. i havent fished with the 12c but the handle is not bad stock if you decide to keep it. just depends whether you want round style handle or bar.

16. wadefisherman

1 11/16" - a hair under 1 3/4". From end to end.

Thanks for the measurement. However, my question was regarding to the handle ARM not the handle grip. I would like to have a longer arm for better jigging. Thanks!

17. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Thanks for the measurement. However, my question was regarding to the handle ARM not the handle grip. I would like to have a longer arm for better jigging. Thanks!

I'll get you that measurement tonight. :)

Don't ask what I was thinking b/c Im not sure myself. lol. :eek:

18. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

You might be able to get one machined. I got my aftermarket handle from Koostackle from this message board and I know he has access to a CNC machine so maybe he can also machine a custom handle arm for you.

Ty

19. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Ok, total arm length is 4 1/8"

From center to center its 3 3/8"

Hope that helps!

20. wadefisherman

YMMV, thank you very much for the measurement! I'll get ones soon....