360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm proud to share with you my achievements in the free spool area. I'm crazy about jigging and most of the time the first one that gets there is the first one that gets hit. I love to be the one every time.

Today:

An year ago:

Please share your comments
Moni

·
857 Posts
i saw this video the other day and was amazed... is that a stock jm reel or did you add some special bearing?

·
1,095 Posts
Has anyone other than me noticed the wobble in the spool? How practical would this reel be to fish?

I too thought there was wobble, but it may be just an optical illusion due to the diagonal marker stripe across the surface. If it actually wobbled I'd suspect an unbalance spool. If it was unbalanced I doubt it would spin as long as it did. It'd be interesting to know what mods were performed.

·
724 Posts
I suspect the end cap has been loosened to the point the spool has lateral movement due to non existent pressure on the end of the shaft. The bearing shields may also be removed and special lubricant may have been used on the bearings. Would all this make this a practical reel to fish? I'm not sure but it definitely does garner attention.

·
444 Posts
The wobble appears to me to simply be the uneven tape on the spool. If you look closely at the upper left gold spool edge relative to the thin piece of black crossbar thats visible, I don't detect any wobble.

Impressive, regardless! :)

·
1,323 Posts
Besides changing up to smooth drag, I really believe that upgrading your stock ball barrings for these new sealed ceramic bb's (which I suspect is what these are) are the best upgrade you can do for your reel. They are totally corrosion and rust proof, smoother than steel barrings and strong. They will keep your reel in tip top shape a whole lot longer than the stock stainless ones. As with everything else, technology in ball barrings have come a long way but at $40 PER barring it's definitely not for everyone. Makes for a good conversation piece though :D

·
724 Posts
I've watched it several times and there is a red margin on the left and a black margin on the right. There is also a piece of tape going across the spool. I can't really tell what the margins on each side are but they are both wobbling as the spool turns. You can take a Garcia Ambassedeur and remove all pressure from the end of the shaft and increase it's free spool time. That appears to have been done here. I'm trying to remember where and can't but it seems that some reel guy recommended against the ceramic bearings. I believe it was his opinion they might crush under heavy loads. I can't say with certainty.

·
5,700 Posts
Very impressive vid , but I think I would like to have that reel in hand before the test to decide just how impressed I was going to be by the spin time of the setup.

Not that this might not be genuine, but over the years I have seen some very impressive spin times that lost credibility when the spool fill was examined.

When beers are on the line as the bet & the reels are on the bar everyone gets to check the reels out, cause some sneaky tricks were played in such situations and miscreants banned from future competitions after being obliged to shout the rest of the competitors till the bar closed........He He.

·
Site Sponsor
3,890 Posts
Excellent first post!

I have J/M PE Serial No 000001. It is an amazing reel I will have to try and time how long the f/s is but 3 min is a long time.

·
168 Posts
ahhhh hate to rain down on the party but Alan Tani got you beat by 2 minutes
5 minutes 40 seconds of freespool - www.ifish.net

Daiwa sealines also have excellent freespool, even the beat up used ones, you can get it to spin for 90 seconds without any upgrades without trying.

I have an old beat up first generation Avet SX with no oil or grease, totally bone dry, and got 45 seconds of freespool on that.

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
I think this is really cool. And NOT taking anything away from OP or guys that can do this with large reels...

But when I jig, I've found that many jigs drop faster if you SLOW the spool down some to eliminate jig flutter... I'll either lightly pinch the line, thumb the spool on conventionals, or lightly grab around the spool on spinners on the drop. And I've noticed many, many others do the same...

So while I do appreciate the technical expertise and think this is really cool for bragging rights or maybe casting light weights... (jigs are heavy) I've never seen free-spool as a major factor with jigging reels. Decent free-spool, narrow spool, ZERO spool binding, smooth & powerful drag, good line retreive rate, plenty of line capacity, etc... are the things I'm personally concerned with...

For me anyway, this would just help me backlash the reel that much worse. :)

Really not hatin. Just sayin that a lot of guys reading this are new to the sport and are likely confused by all of the info and choices available... Decent freespool is important. But minutes of freespool isn't something to obsess over if you're just trying to pick out a new jigging reel IMO.

Maybe I'm just the Lone Stranger on this.

·
453 Posts
jason, the way i look at this issue is like this.....

having a reel with excellent freespool is the place that you start. it doesn't mean that you are staying there. once you get your reel properly serviced, you then have to go out and fish with it. at that point, you can easily slow down your reel if circumstances dictate. it is, after all, much easier to slow down a fast reel than it is to speed up a slow reel. this particularly applies to casting live baits. there are times when a 10 yard cast will not get you bit and when a 20 yard cast will. and this is not even considering the situation of distance casters that fish for stripers on the east coast beaches. these are guys that are looking for 100 yard casts. i personally could never cast anything that far. hell, i can't even SEE that far. but if you're yoyo'ing straight up and down, you might be able to get away with axle grease in the bearings. every situation is different. alan

·
2,835 Posts
minutes of freespool isn't something to obsess over if you're just trying to pick out a new jigging reel IMO.

Maybe I'm just the Lone Stranger on this.

No. I'm with you. I'm more interested in freespool after the drag preset is set at 25#s or more and then the lever pushed back to freespool. I hate reels that bind up when fishing with heavy drag pressure. You feel like you are fighting the reel more than the fish.:eek:

I've never been to a bar where the patrons place reels on the bar and bet on freespool. I guess I live in the wrong place. My father once told me. "Son, never bet on anything that has blood running through it". Dice, cards, and roulette wheels are my favorite.:) I might have to add freespool reels to my list. Now, I just need to find a bar that does it.

·
3,165 Posts
No. I'm with you. I'm more interested in freespool after the drag preset is set at 25#s or more and then the lever pushed back to freespool. I hate reels that bind up when fishing with heavy drag pressure. You feel like you are fighting the reel more than the fish.:eek:

I've never been to a bar where the patrons place reels on the bar and bet on freespool. I guess I live in the wrong place. My father once told me. "Son, never bet on anything that has blood running through it". Dice, cards, and roulette wheels are my favorite.:) I might have to add freespool reels to my list. Now, I just need to find a bar that does it.

Mr. Bill ur dad is/was a very wise man. My father also gave me the same advice and to live happy believe in the 3 "f"'s. I really can't post that on here but anyone who pm's I'd be happy to explain the 3 "f"s..pretty funny if u ask me.btw neat lil trick with the spool..tight lines.

astro..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts