New Fisherman/Chef here!

Discussion in 'Food and Recipe' started by Cedric, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Cedric

Cedric Member

Hello fellow Fishermen!!
    I'm new here, but I can recognize many of you from DJ.com. Looks like there is a lot of incredible stuff here and it's gonna take me forever to catch up with all the info.
    I love the fact that there's a culinary section mingled in with the fishing!! Release is extremely necessary nowadays, but one thing that is certain is that fishing and eating will always go hand in hand...it's what it was invented for! There is nothing more delicious, satisfying and healthy than enjoying one's own catch vs. a store bought fish. (It does a lot less harm to the specie too! ;) )
    Just wanna let you all know that I'll be glad to share recipes or tips regarding Caribbean species and preparations, and as well look forward to scrolling through all the stuff shared here prior to my arrival! :) :)

Buen Provecho and happy fishing to you all!
    Chef Cedric.

2. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Welcome chef....drop us some recipes quick.
    We should have some fresh yellowfin to cook on Sunday night.

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Welcome aboard chef.........

Looking forward to your fishing story and try out your recipes.

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Cedric: How could you dare to actually eat one of your fellow creatures. That red snapper or yellow fin tuna has just as much right to live as we do. I'm going to forward your post immediately to PETA. :)

OK, now that I have your attention, I want to welcome you to the board too. Hope to learn a lot from you.

Russ

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Cedric: How could you dare to actually eat one of your fellow creatures. That red snapper or yellow fin tuna has just as much right to live as we do. I'm going to forward your post immediately to PETA.

OK, now that I have your attention, I want to welcome you to the board too. Hope to learn a lot from you.

Russ

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Welcome aboard.. we are looking forward to some new recipes.. and fish stories, of course..

7. workin

workin Member

Hey,

Cool. Do you have a favorite ceviche recipe?

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

workin: How many times do I have to tell you you shouldn't eat raw fish? You need to keep that stuff frozen until use and then cook the dog out it, just like you would prime beef. Mad tuna disease is nothing to take lightly. First you get light-headed, then you start foaming at the mouth. At the end, you fall down and start beating your tail violently against the deck.

I mean, what's a mother to do?????

Russ

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Welcome aboard.
    Ignore Russ, like the rest of us do. :D

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have to agree with Jerry--hell, I've got to where I ignore myself. :)

Russ

11. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

Welcome aboard, Cedric,
    What kinds of Chefery do you like to do? Any words on your favorite preparations of raw or cooked fish? (Don't worry we have both them who eats bait and them who not only don't eat it, but won't even fish with it).

12. Cedric

Cedric Member

Well thanks for the warm and silly welcome (Uncle Russ ;) )!! You guys have mentioned tuna and ceviche...2 personal favorites!! On monday I went out jigging with an awesome jiggerman that I met in these forums. The dude is not only a jigging freak, but he's a tuna freak! We nailed some beautiful blackfin tuna that I have been enjoying for 3 days now! I saw in an earlier thread some question about blackfin being edible...it's absolutely delicious! But it must be properly chilled immediately after being caught (actually any fish destined to be enjoyed should be treated this way)!
    For you guys going after yellowfin I would recommend a Carpaccio.
    1#- Very thinly sliced tuna loin
    1- small minced shallot
    A lot-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    3-4 Tbsp. Good Balsamic Vinegar
    several leaves of cilantro
    1-2 Limes
    2 Tbsp. Capers, minced (optional)
    Toasted sesame seeds (garnish)
    Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Lay the Tuna fillets flat on a plate, or on top of a thin toast or mixed greens. Mix all the other ingredients and sprinkle evenly over tuna...finish with a generous drizzle of th xtra virgin!
    Twist the recipe a little sprinkling sesame oil and soy sauce, and a touch of red chilli flakes.
    PS : Wahoo taste great like this too!

A Ceviche...my favorite! I tried one with a lovely little almaco jack the other day...it blew me away! I didn't expect it to taste so good. For this preparation I will only use white fleshed fish...the closest to a slightly oily fish I will get is maybe a wahoo or an almaco jack ;) . My favorite, Dorado!

2 # Very small minced or julienned fillet.
    1/2# Very thinly sliced red onion..Thin!
    1/4# Sweet red pepper (or green) Thin
    Jalapeno, chili or any other spicy pepper (optional) Minced
    Thinly sliced green mango
    Fresh cilantro to taste
    Parlsey
    Enough lime juice to moist the fish all around.
    A splash of toasted sesame oil (if infused with chile of ginger OK)
    Salt Pepper Cumin or Coriander seed .

Mix all the ingredients except for the lime juice. Allow to marinate several hours refrigerated (very cold!) if time allows it. THen , maybe a 45 prior to service add lime juice and mix well several times during curing process. The smaller the pieces the faster the curing hence the softer the fish... Play around with other ingredients...chopped tomato or cucumber are also great refreshing tidbits for a ceviche. If it ever feels like maybe too much lime was used, try adding a little honey or sugar just to soften a little (non-traditional:eek: ) Remember, the fish doesn't have to cure for 2 days!!! Just cut really really thin or small! Serve on some very thinly sliced and deep fried green plantain, taro root or yucca chips! Oh, and some Cerveza too! ;)

Bon Appetit!!

13. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

ceviche served on yucca chips! My God, that sounds awesome!
    can the above recipe be used w/ similar freshwater species, such as
    Striper or Crappie?
    tight lines & welcome to 360Tuna!
    -Brian

14. workin

workin Member

workin: How many times do I have to tell you you shouldn't eat raw fish? You need to keep that stuff frozen until use and then cook the dog out it, just like you would prime beef. Mad tuna disease is nothing to take lightly. First you get light-headed, then you start foaming at the mouth. At the end, you fall down and start beating your tail violently against the deck.

I mean, what's a mother to do?????

Russ

Hey,

You're old enough to know that there ain't nothin' beats raw snapper. I admit the smell and texture takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, you want to eat it all the time. Once you get past the fact that it bleeds once a month, no prob......

Anyway, ceviche ain't raw; it's cooked in acid.

15. workin

workin Member

A Ceviche...my favorite! I tried one with a lovely little almaco jack the other day...it blew me away! I didn't expect it to taste so good. For this preparation I will only use white fleshed fish...the closest to a slightly oily fish I will get is maybe a wahoo or an almaco jack ;) .

Bon Appetit!!

Hey,

I saved the recipe and I'll try it! It's similar to what I've been making, but you have a few new ingredients for me (i.e., mango). Incidentally, I've gotten new respect for Almaco Jack lately. Good sashimi, too (sorry Russ) I'm fishing this weekend so hopefully I'll bag one and give almaco ceviche a try. Thanks!

F

16. etan

etan Senior Member

I was at a party where they served ceviche appetizers in Tostitos scoops. Very tasty and easy. They have to be prepared as you go or they will get soggy.

17. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i worked under a french chef in boston for 4 years. i love cooking, but im alergic to shellfish. i am a server in an emerils restaurant in biloxi. we serve alot of cajun inspired fish dishes. we serve ceviche as a taster for our preferred guests
    nice to see you over here.

18. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

i worked under a french chef in boston for 4 years. i love cooking, but im alergic to shellfish. i am a server in an emerils restaurant in biloxi. we serve alot of cajun inspired fish dishes. we serve ceviche as a taster for our preferred guests
    nice to see you over here.

Personal story about Emeril. Understand I haven't had a TV in over 30 years.
    We were thinking about moving to La and for some foods we were trying do make at home. This one guy sent us a couple of receipes and we exchanged e-mail for about a year, the chef was Emeril.

19. Cedric

Cedric Member

That's cool Andrew...too bad about the shellfish :( . He's a picture of a little sashimi plate I whipped up a couple of hours ago. It's drizzled with soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, minced thyme, and a drop of lime and honey. The green line is wasabi pureed with pinenuts and cilantro leaves (like a pesto) . Topped with a couple of pickled ginger flakes, cilantrillo, extra virgin oil and black pepper...oh, and a side of the kind of jig that got those little blackies excited (different color cause I lost the original )...:)

Attached Files:

20. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

daaayum......my mouth is watering!

how about a tuna salad recipe from all the tuna i have been canning, your recipes are so much more refined than mine.

21. Cedric

Cedric Member

daaayum......my mouth is watering!

how about a tuna salad recipe from all the tuna i have been canning, your recipes are so much more refined than mine.

I love tuna salad! I poach (legally, it's a cooking method ;) ) tuna chunks (or usable trim) in water with lemon juice, bay leaf, some onion slivers, salt and black pepper...just until the tuna firms up and changes color. Cool down. In your case, just open a can! Shred with fork, mix in say for about 4 regular tuna cans, 1 cup mayonaise (or more), 3 tbsp. dijon mustard (or whole grain), couple teaspoons of cider or balsamic vinegar, minced red onion, minced red bell pepper, pinch of dill weed and parsley, and salt and pepper to taste... kick it up with tabasco or any other 'pique' if desired. Get some romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes and make yourself some tuna wraps.;)