360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
358 Posts
Can't wait to try one of these out. The price looks right. Hopefully they took some of the engineering off the Saltigas and applied it here. I just wish the blue color wasn't a powder blue :(

·
1,448 Posts
i agree. i wonder what the drag looks like. probably like the coastal and certate just bigger with that gold tray under the cap. 33 pounds is like the 8000 non stella shimanos i guess.

·
86 Posts
Has anyone bought and tried one out yet? I am thinking of getting one for local school sized Ahi 20-40# with some monster big eye mixed in.

·
675 Posts
Has anyone bought and tried one out yet? I am thinking of getting one for local school sized Ahi 20-40# with some monster big eye mixed in.

Welcome to 360 Jim. I'm not sure the Saltist spinners are out yet...

·
86 Posts
Welcome to 360 Jim. I'm now sure the Saltist spinners are out yet...
Thanks for the welcome! Have lurked for years, decided to post a question about the new Daiwas! Angler's Center in CA is selling them so I was hoping to get a review. . .

·
2,835 Posts
I haven't seen the new saltist spinner except in photographs. I would think it's a pretty good reel for the money just like the Shimano Saragosa. The Saragosa is a proven reel for the money. Not of Stella or Saltiga quality, but a great reel for the money.

If you are targeting tuna all the time, the Saragosa will perform fine until the tuna finally wear it down. If you are planning to use the spinning reel for tuna on a consistent basis, you're better off with a Stella or just buy a couple of more Saragosa's for backups.

I'm sure a year from now, the new saltist spinners will have been throughly tested.

·
2,753 Posts
My Buddy in Japan says the saltist reel isnt anything new, it comes from the line of a very well respected model in japan.

however the japanese model is almost twice as much, with more bearings etc.

Look for a great reel here, but not invincible. What Mr.bill said.

G

·
My new Saltist 4500H just arrived today. Looks nice and feels very rugged and beefed up. the bail arm is tubular and seems very heavy duty. I took apart the drag washers. There are 3 and they are greased. Not sure of the material, but are not cf.

I'll be loading it with 300 yds of JB 50 solid and pairing it with a 50# OTI custom Popping rod for casting smaller lures to dorado, blackfin, and whatever else doesn't require my Saragosa 18k

It's a sweet compact combo. Much lighter and should do well with smaller fish.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts