New custom OTI rod by Andy

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, May 8, 2009.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I'd like to thank my bros TJ and Andy for their part in this rod.
    Again Andy has exceeded my expectations. I put my total trust in him and have no doubt he is one the best rod builders.

Specs
    5'6 OTI 80lb blank, newest model
    Builder - Andy or sn anuvat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gman

gman Senior Member

He is absolutely amazing he is like an artist

3. gman

gman Senior Member

guides are crooked BTW LOL

4. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

where can i get mine :)

5. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Great job, love the shape of the grips !!!

6. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

watch out for doors rich!! looks awesome. im lucky enough to have an Andy custom myself. i can relate!

7. red34

red34 Guest

I love the grip shape. Simple looking, yet beautiful thread work and finish. Please explain the first guide. Is that a Fuji surf guide? Why do you use it and why backwards? Thanks.

8. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

That guide looks like a different twist on the acid wrap idea. Be real interested in how it works out, Taller than normal, closer to foregrip than normal should prevent contact between line and rod......

9. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Whoa. That is bad ass..! Awesome job andy. Congrats rtran.

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

thanks for the compliments guys. andy deserves all credit, i just provided the rod.

andy should be able to answer all questions regarding the build of the rod. i dont know anything technical about them i just fish it.

the larger guide prevents line rubbing on foregrip, meaning fishable with any reel. also the guide is turned around so it wont catch on the guide as like all the japanese rods are built this way also.

11. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Rich, I'm just glad you liked the rod, I hope the colors match up to your Saltiga. Thanks all for your compliments, it was fun:)

I went with the LCSG 16M for the stripper guide as opposed to the MNSG20 originally on the rod. Rich was concerned about the line rubbing on the fore grip. While the diameter of the ring is smaller, the frame is slightly higher which provided the lift necessary to clear the line. As for flipping it around......honestly I do not know. I really do think it's for that "Japanese" look, I've been trying to find the true reason behind it myself:)

12. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Anuvat,
    On planer rods, we have flipped the first guide around for years. It is because when you trip the planer the line will pile up behind the first guide for a second. With it flipped around it stays piled behind the guide and doesn't loop over snap the guide off.

I do not know why it would be needed for a jigging rod, but for a casting rod it may have some benefit. Not that you are going to break a guide off, but it would feed through the guide better on the cast possibly.

This is one I did a few years back with the flip around.
    [​IMG]

13. kenner21

kenner21 Member

Dare I ask what she cost ?

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

not as much as you would think. but very high value to me since a friend did it and it looks amazing

15. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

I love the grip shape. Simple looking, yet beautiful thread work and finish. Please explain the first guide. Is that a Fuji surf guide? Why do you use it and why backwards? Thanks.

Red, I got a acid wrap rod from Andy custom as well but my stripper guide is forward and a bit shorter. I want my stripper guide to face backward but the line would have hit the leg of the guide (acid wrap). That's the reason why mine have to face forward. I think Andy pick up on that and got a taller stripper guide so that the line would clear the leg of the guide. For the backward guides, I think one is for look the other is the make sure the ring is closer to the grip, this will prevent the line from touching the grip and cutting through it.

16. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Sorry didn't see Andy already answer but...I guess you got another opinion.

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

did a lift test with 20 lb with the rod today. the new oti blank seems almost parabolic. it matches very well with the saltiga 40.