360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cool: I picked up my custom OTI/JPR 50lb popping rod tonight from Paul. Looks great and I'm pumped to use it up in Cape Cod Bay in mid-July for what it was built to be....

a.......

:D But in all honesty...I feel I could use this for popping Roosters, Cubera, Mahi, etc...great all around offshore spinning rod. The rod feels strong and has an awesome bend/action to keep things "fun". I have tons of lures in the 60-100g range I would like to try out with this puppy. Stay tuned.

Also, I think I found the conventional rod I want for my 665W 2spd reel over at Paul's tonite ;) Hope I can pick her up before I go to the islands! ;)

·
1,025 Posts
That custom rod looks great!!! What type of guides do you have on it? It should cast the lures you want with ease.

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That custom rod looks great!!! What type of guides do you have on it? It should cast the lures you want with ease.
ICMNSG's! :cool:

very nice, I like the 665w also...you can jig, chunk and deep drop with it
Exactly why I'm getting one. It's a great all-purpose conventional reel and the rod I saw at Paul's tonight is the perfect, light all-purpose conventional rod for the job ;)

Brian

·
1,025 Posts
ICMNSG's! :cool:
Brian

Love em. They look so much better than the regular MNSGs!

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JerseyBrian,

Does he have OTI blanks? How much for a custom rod like yours? Thank!
Hi there,

Paul definitely has OTI blanks :) He custom builds both OTI popping and jigging rods along with Jigging Master, GUSA, Calstar, etc etc..whatever you want :p His custom 7.5ft OTI popping rods start at $399.00 with MSNG guides. I bet once he gets some of those 8.5ft OTI popping blanks, those will be a hit as well.

Select Add Ons

·
638 Posts
I had a rod built on the 7 1/2 OTI 50 blank too. Kevin, TxSeadog, built mine as part of my Trinidad DC project. I haven't taken any pics but it's nice. Acid wrapped convetional. I haven't done extensive testing just a few casts at the park. The first test will be July 3 on the Big E trip. Can't wait to fight a fish on it.

Fred

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My custom rod is getting built now, I can't wait.

good stuff Rich. What components did you go with? ICMNSGs? :)

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What so special about the ICMNSG's that you guys are so fond of?

Nothing really. I like the look better than the MNSGs...that's all. If I could have gotten my hands on Fuji T-HVSG/T-SVSG guides at the time I had Paul build my rod, I would have put those on instead. But I'd rather have a completed rod I can fish with now as opposed to a rod that would still be in it's building stages if I had waited for the Ti guides....

·
1,086 Posts
Your photos show "Series 1 of 2" that sounds interesting.
Could you add info and photos of your grip choice?

Very nice stuff.

Kev

·
105 Posts
Brian - thanks for the follow up. That ionized coating on them, still rusts. I have a couple of sets of IC's as well as IG's, which are starting to show signs of oxidizing - an dI wash my stuff religiously after every trip. A friend of mine built a rod for Baja with a set of IG's, forgot to wash teh rod before putting the rod in the bazooka. By the time the person shipped the rod back to him, it had been 2 weeks. All teh guides were rusted pretty good, adn some had to be re-wrapped.

WE WANT T-MNSG'S WE WANT T-MNSG'S. I know i'm not alone, they got freaking Low Riders in Titanium, they need to come out with the T-MNSG's already.

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your photos show "Series 1 of 2" that sounds interesting.
Could you add info and photos of your grip choice?

Very nice stuff.

Kev
Hey Kev

That does sound interesting doesn't it ;)

I don't want to give away "everything" on my rod since it's a custom one-off piece (I had Paul inscribe that lettering so it's not like he's making a new line of "Tuna Killer" rods or anything...), but the grip is EVA and the reel seat is Fuji :)

Brian - thanks for the follow up. That ionized coating on them, still rusts. I have a couple of sets of IC's as well as IG's, which are starting to show signs of oxidizing - an dI wash my stuff religiously after every trip. A friend of mine built a rod for Baja with a set of IG's, forgot to wash teh rod before putting the rod in the bazooka. By the time the person shipped the rod back to him, it had been 2 weeks. All teh guides were rusted pretty good, adn some had to be re-wrapped.

WE WANT T-MNSG'S WE WANT T-MNSG'S. I know i'm not alone, they got freaking Low Riders in Titanium, they need to come out with the T-MNSG's already.

Ouch that sucks. I've had good luck with ICMNSGs on both of my inshore/backbay rods with little to no corrosion at all, but I wash all of my rods after usage. The worst thing I'd do would probably be not washing it until the next day or something....

I do want T-MNSGs though. However, I will suffice for the T-HVSG and T-SVSG guides for now on all my future rods ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts