New Custom OTI 50lb popper in tha hOuSe!

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by JerseyBrian, Jun 26, 2008.

1. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

:cool: I picked up my custom OTI/JPR 50lb popping rod tonight from Paul. Looks great and I'm pumped to use it up in Cape Cod Bay in mid-July for what it was built to be....

a.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D But in all honesty...I feel I could use this for popping Roosters, Cubera, Mahi, etc...great all around offshore spinning rod. The rod feels strong and has an awesome bend/action to keep things "fun". I have tons of lures in the 60-100g range I would like to try out with this puppy. Stay tuned.

Also, I think I found the conventional rod I want for my 665W 2spd reel over at Paul's tonite ;) Hope I can pick her up before I go to the islands! ;)

2. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

That custom rod looks great!!! What type of guides do you have on it? It should cast the lures you want with ease.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

very nice, I like the 665w also...you can jig, chunk and deep drop with it

4. JerseyBrian

That custom rod looks great!!! What type of guides do you have on it? It should cast the lures you want with ease.
    ICMNSG's! :cool:

very nice, I like the 665w also...you can jig, chunk and deep drop with it
    Exactly why I'm getting one. It's a great all-purpose conventional reel and the rod I saw at Paul's tonight is the perfect, light all-purpose conventional rod for the job ;)

Brian

5. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

ICMNSG's! :cool:
    Brian

Love em. They look so much better than the regular MNSGs!

6. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

JerseyBrian,

Does he have OTI blanks? How much for a custom rod like yours? Thank!

7. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian,

Does he have OTI blanks? How much for a custom rod like yours? Thank!
    Hi there,

Paul definitely has OTI blanks :) He custom builds both OTI popping and jigging rods along with Jigging Master, GUSA, Calstar, etc etc..whatever you want :p His custom 7.5ft OTI popping rods start at $399.00 with MSNG guides. I bet once he gets some of those 8.5ft OTI popping blanks, those will be a hit as well.

Select Add Ons

8. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

9. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I had a rod built on the 7 1/2 OTI 50 blank too. Kevin, TxSeadog, built mine as part of my Trinidad DC project. I haven't taken any pics but it's nice. Acid wrapped convetional. I haven't done extensive testing just a few casts at the park. The first test will be July 3 on the Big E trip. Can't wait to fight a fish on it.

Fred

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

My custom rod is getting built now, I can't wait.

11. JerseyBrian

My custom rod is getting built now, I can't wait.

good stuff Rich. What components did you go with? ICMNSGs? :)

12. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

What so special about the ICMNSG's that you guys are so fond of?

13. JerseyBrian

What so special about the ICMNSG's that you guys are so fond of?

Nothing really. I like the look better than the MNSGs...that's all. If I could have gotten my hands on Fuji T-HVSG/T-SVSG guides at the time I had Paul build my rod, I would have put those on instead. But I'd rather have a completed rod I can fish with now as opposed to a rod that would still be in it's building stages if I had waited for the Ti guides....

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

good stuff Rich. What components did you go with? ICMNSGs? :)

no hahaha I just got the regular ones

15. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Your photos show "Series 1 of 2" that sounds interesting.
    Could you add info and photos of your grip choice?

Very nice stuff.

Kev

16. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Brian - thanks for the follow up. That ionized coating on them, still rusts. I have a couple of sets of IC's as well as IG's, which are starting to show signs of oxidizing - an dI wash my stuff religiously after every trip. A friend of mine built a rod for Baja with a set of IG's, forgot to wash teh rod before putting the rod in the bazooka. By the time the person shipped the rod back to him, it had been 2 weeks. All teh guides were rusted pretty good, adn some had to be re-wrapped.

WE WANT T-MNSG'S WE WANT T-MNSG'S. I know i'm not alone, they got freaking Low Riders in Titanium, they need to come out with the T-MNSG's already.

17. JerseyBrian

Your photos show "Series 1 of 2" that sounds interesting.
    Could you add info and photos of your grip choice?

Very nice stuff.

Kev
    Hey Kev

That does sound interesting doesn't it ;)

I don't want to give away "everything" on my rod since it's a custom one-off piece (I had Paul inscribe that lettering so it's not like he's making a new line of "Tuna Killer" rods or anything...), but the grip is EVA and the reel seat is Fuji :)

Brian - thanks for the follow up. That ionized coating on them, still rusts. I have a couple of sets of IC's as well as IG's, which are starting to show signs of oxidizing - an dI wash my stuff religiously after every trip. A friend of mine built a rod for Baja with a set of IG's, forgot to wash teh rod before putting the rod in the bazooka. By the time the person shipped the rod back to him, it had been 2 weeks. All teh guides were rusted pretty good, adn some had to be re-wrapped.

WE WANT T-MNSG'S WE WANT T-MNSG'S. I know i'm not alone, they got freaking Low Riders in Titanium, they need to come out with the T-MNSG's already.

Ouch that sucks. I've had good luck with ICMNSGs on both of my inshore/backbay rods with little to no corrosion at all, but I wash all of my rods after usage. The worst thing I'd do would probably be not washing it until the next day or something....

I do want T-MNSGs though. However, I will suffice for the T-HVSG and T-SVSG guides for now on all my future rods ;)