360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 9 prototype jigging/popping rods made of new carbon materials from Korea for testing.

I was a little disappointed after I got them as the weights of the rods are not as light and the actions of popping rods are still too soft for big fish. And some improvements are needed for the genenral designs of rods.

However, the surface treatment of rods and the craftmanship are superb.

Jigging Rods

I got conventional jigging rods with 250g, 350g and 450g.
The weights of the rods are about 12 1/2 - 13 oz while the spinnig rod with 350g weighs just over 11 oz. The major difference of weights between two rods come from the reel seats used. They use Fuji trigger handles for conventional rods while they use Fuji regular graphite reel seat.
The weights of the rods are not bad at all, but I was expecting much lighter rods. :)
I am told the dead lifting power of those rods are all over 100 lbs.

The action of rods are very similar to JM's with parabolic bent.

I am going to test them in Panama during Christmas Holisdays. I might try them for 500 - 600 lbs marlin. :)

Popping Rods

They sent three popping rods of 7'6, 8' and 8'6 lengths.
When I called them up, they said the popping rods have enough backbone. I can see the rods are rated to PE8 - PE12, but I would rate it upto PE6.

The weights of popping rods are 15 oz, 16 oz and 17 oz.
Those rods are definitely for average tuna, not for 150 lbs - 200 lbs bluefin.

However, they are well made rods. I am going to suggest to develop popping rods with more backbone and stiffness.

·
434 Posts
KIL - Cant wait for your Post-Panama Review... Its crazy to think that the reels aren't going to be able to handle these new rods that are being developed.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kil,

I just got my ticket. We will get to fish 3 days in Panama together. Are you bringing a bunch of goodies? I plan on traveling light. Looking forward to it. Courtland
Great, Courland.
I'll bring prototype 3 jigging rods and 2 popping rods from Korea as well as two Yamaga popping rods to test.
My way of testing rods are to try to break them while fighting to test the strength, backbone and action. :) You, Reggie and myself are going to abuse those rods.
I might bring a fly rod to fish trout in Boquete. :)

·
2,753 Posts
On average are the Korean prototype popping rods even expected to break due to a fighting fish? The inshore rod you let me bend went to 180 degrees without a problem.
Anyhow enjoy the trip .

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kil what Panama trip are you doing? I need to go on a trip. I was looking at the Venice trips cause I think it would be good to test rods on hudge Warsaw.
Trav, I am going during Chirst Holidays. I go with my wife this time and plan to stay a couple of days at Boquete.

Contact Dave Erving in Miami. He likes to fish Goliath grouper inshore and your rod will be a good test for 300 - 500 lbs grouper. :)

·
3,718 Posts
Jeez, those are pretty rods Kil. Will those blanks be available?
"Cape cod Special" I knew it was only a matter of time.:D

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeez, those are pretty rods Kil. Will those blanks be available?
"Cape cod Special" I knew it was only a matter of time.:D
I haven't discuss about blanks yet as i am concentrating on testing their jigging/popping rods. But there is a possibility I can get blanks too.
After this project is over, I explore opportunites for cod jigging rods, fluke rods or blackfish rods. Then, you don't have to worry about breaking rods while lifting them. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts