360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start a new thread instead of hijacking the UE thread too much. This operation could be also promising and worth a shot. If you guys got some input on this chime in. Here are some information taken from their website.

New Buccaneer
Catamaran 85 feet long, 33 feet wide with 4 diesel engines. Equipped with advanced fish locating and navigation equipment, convenient grill and galley, his and hers restrooms, and sundeck.

30-HOUR TRIPS
80-100 Miles Out in Gulf of Mexico:

Expected Catches:
Same as 8-hour and 12-hour with chance for exotic species such as *Wahoo, *Almaco, *Horse Eye Jackfish, *Tuna, varieties of Grouper and Snake Eels.

2008 Dates:**
Feb 23-24
March 8-9
March 29-30
April 12-13

49 passengers max.

Cost:
Adult: $250.00
Child: $150.00 (12 & Under)
(Rod, Reel, Squid bait, and Stringer provided)

Anyone want to go fishing? =)

G

·
49 people on that boat is soooo many. that being said if they want to comp me a trip i will be glad to try and test it out :)

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
49 people on that boat is soooo many. that being said if they want to comp me a trip i will be glad to try and test it out :)

Maybe soon, I'll call you. =)

·
4,723 Posts
I've heard and read about them catching mainly blackfin tuna and a few YFT, they don't load up on YFT like the Big-E... then again, they don't cost your left nut like the Big-E either... :p

·
251 Posts
They need to charge about $450 and only take about 30 people and then make it about a 40 hr and that would probably make it have a little more yft friendly. Then I would be interested. I might even try it if it had less people. I could go on 5 trips for the price of 1 UE trip.

·
137 Posts
Seems I remember visiting the website and seeing something regarding not allowing overhand casting. Hard to cast a popper very far underhand.

·
1,553 Posts
ive fished the new buccaneer a few times on 12hr snapper trips. i didnt like how they kept the fish on the deck(in the sun) by your feet the whole time your fishing. the deckhands were good though. im sure they put tuna in large coolers. i wont fish this boat just because it is pretty much the same as the capt john. these are good for first timers but if youve been on other boats such as the big e, or boats out of port a, i think you'll be somewhat disappointed. 400 each. get a few more people together and get a private charter.

·
247 Posts
I'm probably going to give this a try as there are quite a few guys at work who want to go out and try to catch a tuna or two. For the money you don't have much to lose.. I sincerly believe the reason you don't see the Capt John and the buccaneer catching mnore yft is strictly because of the people on the boat. I would be willing to bet that for most people on the boat its their first tuna trip... I talked to a guy at the boat show about this trip and he said they generally fish boomvang/nancen on the 30hr trips.. For $250 I think its worth the boat ride and just being away from work for a few hours!

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried one of those Galveston boats on a 12 hr years ago. It was awful. Will never go back.

Can you elaborate what was so bad? Thanks

·
82 Posts
I fished the New Buc 4 times thought it was great. Then fished other boats that were way better yet more expensive. The extra cost was well worth it. The New Buc would take us fishing, but the better boats would take you to catch fish. They really need to take better care of the catch. Less people would be nice on the long trip. And make it A 36 hour trip. Could go on and on to make it better. I guess for the price not too bad.

·
177 Posts
Just take a peek at the head.....it will sum it up for you.....

In the front of the boat, nasty, stinks, and if you get it any kind of chop.....it really makes a mess....

Not even cussions on the benches that you have to sleep on.......

Look, they have a nich, for guys who want to jig up blk fin and the occasional YFT but most here on the site would be really pissed after droping the change and seeinf it for themselves

·
349 Posts
Mudskipper has summed it up. The deck hands were really bad. You can see what they do with the fish, hanging in the sun on the way in. They rarely have a catch as seen on the photo. They are quite rude and limit what you can bring on the boat. It's a tourist boat and most of the folks are on a first trip. If that's the only way you have to fish then there is not much choice. I have a bay boat that I have used close in offshore some, so I would never fish one of those Galveston boats again. They would be lucky to get blackfin.

The Galveston boats don't have enough fuel capacity to get to the best Tuna fishing.

G

·
so you're saying they absolutely will not go to boomvang/nancen/gunnison? for an overnighter those are the obvious choices for rigs. as ive said time and time again there are tuna in the gulf that ARENT at the rigs.....but these boats have such an easy trip to a rig that they dont bother to find fish the old fashioned way. thats fine but just know there are surely tuna elsewhere.

as far as the bathroom and bunks i dont care about that stuff. ive slept on decks plenty of times, its not a big deal. bring a sleeping bag if youre worried about it. on a 24-30 hour trip you dont need to sleep anyway.

its always a trade-off. i wouldnt midn trying this trip out but im not sure i want to be the guinea pig.

the quality of the mates is a potential issue if its true. the crowd and 'tourists' can be as well. though keep in mind most tourists sleep all night anyway :).

ALW - what did they limit you bringing?

·
247 Posts
so you're saying they absolutely will not go to boomvang/nancen/gunnison?

I was told at the boat show they go to boomvang/nancen by their rep.. Maybe he was just full of shit wanting to try to get my money? I'm somewhat having second thought myself as I don't like party boats anyway!

·
111 Posts
typically their 30 hr trip goes like this. Or at leat the 2 times i went a few years ago.

usually a small soft carry on bag for snacks, rod and gear. and some sort of sleep gear if you want to lug that too.

usually have a 4-5 hr boat ride till they stop for reef fish or a rig for aj. you might move if the fishing is really slow. head out to a rig for night fishing. they used to tie up to a rig and jig for blk fin and bottom fishing for grouper.

fish till sun up head back in for a short stop to finish trying to limit out on reef fish. then a nother long boat ride back to the dock.

before they get in, the deck hands hang all the fish around the boat to show what the catch was. Also while reef fishing, your fish are strung up on a stringer and thrown down on the hot deck till you move to another fishing hole.

the fun part is when people dont watch their line and let a fish gather up about 6-8 other lines. so you wait for the deck hand to untangle or tell them to cut your line and retie.

If your lucky and get on a trip that is'nt full it will be better than a full load of 49 .

for the price ,i guess it is worth it, to just get out there and do some fishing.

that is pretty much the way it went on the 2 times i went out on it.I dont know what they do now.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts