360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Never heard of them rods. I have had the same rods since 80's that were made for me. I am not up date on any new rods or reels. The Sealine reels i have used for over 35 years are still going strong. I bought the last of them a few years back. I know reel prices have gone way up.

· Registered
12 Posts
You should be able to cast that set up but your going to find your self getting WAY out casted by the guys with spinners but if it’s a decent night you should still be able to put some fish in the boat. That setup should also be fine to double as a Beeliner setup. I personally fish mostly an Accurate 600 with a 7’6 rod. For the last couple years that’s all I have fished for both bottom and tuna up until recently when I acquired a Diawia spinner.... which I would highly recommend but I still find myself casting the conventional a lot. It is much easier on your back to fight a fish when you can use the rail.
With a conventional I would recommend against using a wind on but instead would go with a top shot that is longer than your casting distance, you don’t want any knots sliding through your guides, it will shorten your range. You will also want to go heavier on your leader than your main line or atleast match it but not less than 80lb for the leader.
On my Accurate I have about 3/4 of the spool filled with 80lb solid core braid and the top 1/4 80 lb mono. I do not normally use a swivel with that setup but instead just tie the top shot directly to the Halco or the Frenzy. I’m a firm believer in using the least amount of stuff possible, the fish can be spooked by swivels
Crap, now I bought another rod. 7' 6" Penn Rampage boat casting rod.

I'll still keep the 3x more expensive Carnage :(

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
The weather isn’t looking good for Tuesday, we are looking at possibly moving Mondays trip up a day to a Sunday departure. If your on this trip you will be receiving a email today asking if you are able to move dates. If your not on this trip and are interested in going then give the office a call and let them know you would like to be put on the list.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
1/22-23

We moved this trip up a day to avoid the terrible weather that was forecasted for Monday night and Tuesday and fortunately we were able to get enough to move over and make the trip.
The weather man did not do us any favors on this one and had we known it was going to be as sloppy as it was we would have gone ahead and canceled.
We had a huge following sea on the ride out, it was way too rough to attempt to get anchored up but the ride was comfortable so I bypassed bottom fishing on day 1 with plans to do it on the way home.
Our night started off pretty good, we had 3 nice fish in the boat before it got dark and fishing was decent until around midnight. After that it got pretty slow, we were seeing a couple fish every drift and the machine looked great but they just wouldn’t bite anything. We made a move around 2 am and found a few more fish before the sun came up. We lost a bunch of fish through the night, I think the fish were rolling on the Halcos and getting foul hooked. We pulled way more hooks than normal. The wind was supposed to switch out of the East and lay some but that never happened. According to the forecast the seas should have been behind us both ways but we got beat up pretty good on the way home and were not able to do any bottom fishing on the way in either.
Trip totals...
17 YFT
60 BFT
Boat Sky Cloud Fish Seafood
Cloud Sky Building Fish Seafood
Boat Water Naval architecture Sky Watercraft
Water Sky Offshore drilling Dusk Semi-submersible

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
1-26/27

We had a great trip.
Bottom fishing was slow and uneventful. Made two quick stops in 350-470 ft and the machine looked great at both stops but fishing was very slow and we didn’t give it long.
Tuna fishing on the other hand was great. BFT were fierce all night, we had a hard time keeping up with them all at first but after a few hours it got back to a manageable bite. YFT were slow for the first several drifts but got better as the night went. Most fish were caught on Halcos but around 3 am the Frenzy bite turned on with bigger fish.
Trip totals...
33 YFT
268 BFT
28 BBs
4 AlmacoJack
1 big Squid
Vertebrate White Seafood Animal product Fish
Water Sky Cloud Fish Fin
Water Sky Seafood Fish Fin
Wood Art Metal Painting Trunk
White Food Ingredient Seafood Fish
Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft Naval architecture