360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Our trip for tomorrow was canceled. Most forecast were calling 15-20 knot winds but there were also forecasts showing winds around 25 knots. One thing that was consistent with all of them was the front hitting the floaters around midnight. With cold fronts it’s just about guaranteed that it’s going to blow harder than it’s supposed to. With the timing of the front that could have set us up for a very miserable and long 150+ mile boat ride home. Had we been on good fish close then we may have pushed it but that’s just not the case right now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What are the chances of this upcoming Monday's trip? I have been monitoring the weather like a hawk but I was thinking if we sailed on Sunday Monday it would be decent. I'm on 3 cancelations in a row just looking to get there finally. My last trip with yall was at the end of October and I haven't been able to fish since.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What are the chances of this upcoming Monday's trip? I have been monitoring the weather like a hawk but I was thinking if we sailed on Sunday Monday it would be decent. I'm on 3 cancelations in a row just looking to get there finally. My last trip with yall was at the end of October and I haven't been able to fish since.
Sunday-Monday is definitely out of the question with the front that’s hitting Monday morning. We should have a little better picture of Mon-Tues tomorrow but right now it doesn’t look great.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
1/13-14
After last weeks trip I thought we were going to have an easy night of fishing and that wasn’t the case. We ended up doing well but it was pretty slow at times. That’s about right though, right when you think you have them pinned everything changes.
I will start with bottom fishing. It went well. We didn’t have much time, only about an hour and a half but it was good. We caught some Scamps, a big Yellow Edge and close to 200 BBs.
We ran right back to the same floater that we caught 71 at 6 nights prior and also had good reports from other boats since then. We caught a yellow right off the bat and two more on the second drift and then it got tough. We lost a couple fish but after two hours we were still sitting at three. There was quite a bit of boat traffic and that definitely wasn’t helping. After a little while of that we went searching for greener pastures. We ended up fishing three floaters and caught a hand full of fish everywhere we went and finally got on a pretty good bite around 5am. From 5 to sunrise we added 21 more yellowfin to the box. It ended up being a decent night of fishing but we had to do a lot of traveling to get what we caught.
Trip totals.....
34 YFT
27 BFT
189 Beeliners
9 Scamp
1 YellowEdge
1 AlmacoJack
White Animal product Fish Sky Seafood
Sky Wood Human leg Art Event

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
1/17-18
On this trip I decided to go right back with the same game plan as last trip since it worked pretty well for us. That plan was to fish several rigs and catch a few fish off of each just like we did Thursday night unfortunately that didn’t work as planned.
A lot of things did not go our way this trip including the bottom fishing on the way out. We got anchored up and the current was absolutely ripping making it impossible to fish without getting extremely tangled. I decided that it wasn’t worth sacrificing any time tuna fishing for that so we went ahead and headed for Perdido.
Once we got there we were greeted immediately with an insane Blackfin bite. We caught 20-30 a drift but the yellows were pretty slim pickings. At around 10:30 the Blackfin pretty much shutdown and we only had 4 YFT in the boat so we headed to Hoover, where we had some success on nice YFT just a few nights prior. We made three drift there at Hoover-Diana without landing a fish of any kind so we continued on our way inshore and the next stop was BV where we immediately landed a yellow on our first pass but that would be the only fish we caught there. Our fourth and last stop of the night was Nansen and I had high hopes of a good morning bite considering we landed well over 20 yellows there as the sun was coming up on our last trip. Once again I was disappointed but we did catch a few, I believe we ended up landing 7 more there to end the night.
On these trips the best data we have to go off of is recent reports and experience from past trips and on this one what worked just a few days before did not work for us. It was nearly the same moon phase and the current was pretty much the same at every location we fished. It was definitely a tough night as far as the yellowfin go.
On the way home we made a quick stop to bottom fish for a bit to try and make up for not fishing the first day due to the current. Our stop was in 340 ft on a rocky ledge where we had a decent Beeliner bite and I saw a couple Grouper caught too.
Hopefully once this moon rolls over and this front blows through things will pick back up for us. In the mean time we will be in the shipyard getting our inspections out of the way and putting a brand new set of wheels under the boat. We should be back in the water sometime late next week.
Trip totals...
11 YFT
126 BFT
116 Beeliners
2 Scamp
2 YellowEdge
Fish Naval architecture Sky Boat Animal product
Sky Naval architecture Engineering Boat Metal
Food Plant Ingredient Seafood Staple food

21 - 28 of 28 Posts