360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Outside of Red Snapper season 160-200 ft and during RS season we will sometimes fish as shallow as 60 ft. We had a really good 12 hour this past Saturday, we caught 760 Beeliners for 85 people. The 12s have been outstanding over the last month.
Thank you Capt. for the quick reply! 760, that's a LOT of Beeliners! I'm taking my kids with me on Saturday and we are looking forward to having some fun!

·
1,863 Posts
Guys, I hope to head out on the May 12th trip on the New Buccaneer. I am fishing with some veterans and a couple of new guys. As you can expect, one of the guys had a bunch of questions so I put together a video with him. It will premiere on You tube on Wednesday on 5/11/22 at 8:00 CT! Here is the link, please join if you can and ask your questions! Hopefully Matt can join since he knows more than me :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Guys, I hope to head out on the May 12th trip on the New Buccaneer. I am fishing with some veterans and a couple of new guys. As you can expect, one of the guys had a bunch of questions so I put together a video with him. It will premiere on You tube on Wednesday on 5/11/22 at 8:00 CT! Here is the link, please join if you can and ask your questions! Hopefully Matt can join since he knows more than me :)
I’ll be joining you! Likely gonna be getting piggies the morning on 61st of if you wanna join

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wind has been puffing here for days on the west coast of FL. We leave on the 8 day trip this Wends AM for the keys from Clearwater. At least the seas will be behind us. Wind should let up by Fri.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey I know there are some specs for rod holders on the New Buc, but I can find the things. I'm looking at a Tackle Direct Tanacom 1000 combo, but it's a bent butt rod so, I'll need to engineer something. Anyone remember the sizes for the rod holders at foot?

·
804 Posts
Hey I know there are some specs for rod holders on the New Buc, but I can find the things. I'm looking at a Tackle Direct Tanacom 1000 combo, but it's a bent butt rod so, I'll need to engineer something. Anyone remember the sizes for the rod holders at foot?
one and one half inch OD fits the rod holder fine.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
5/9-10

We took a whoopin on this one. The weather man was calling for 3-5s and it ended up being solid 8s for a good part of the night. Had we known it would have been like that we would have canceled but we made a trip out of it, caught some fish and did it safely.
Bottom fishing on the way out wasn’t great, we caught a few AJs and Groupers but it was slow and the Beeliners weren’t cooperating with us and flipper was also robbing a lot of our fish.
Our day ended on a rig in 450’ and there we picked up a couple Yellow Edge, Almacos and a big Bearded Brotula.
After bottom fishing we had a 30 mile extremely sloppy run to the floaters. We fished three rigs throughout the night, Yellowfin were tough for us but we picked at them throughout the night and lost probably more than we landed, mostly due to pulled hooks. A lot of our fishermen switched over to jigging and Blackfin were pretty easy pickings once the moon set.
On the way home we made a quick stop to try and make up for the slow fishing the first day and there we added a couple hundred Beeliners to the box in about an hour and most of them were big.
Trip totals...
10 YFT
127 BFT
1 Dorado
4 AJ
4 AlmacoJack
2 YellowEdge
3 Scamp
1 Bearded Brotula
305 Beeliners
9 Triggers
Cloud Sky Vertebrate Blue Boat
Vertebrate Sky Seafood Animal product Fish
Fish Fish products Fin Catfish Marine biology
Light Gadget Output device Flat panel display Font

This last pic is Beeliners stacked up on a rock on our first day of fishing but they were not really biting and when they did a porpoise would pick them off on the way up.

·
1,863 Posts
I’ll be joining you! Likely gonna be getting piggies the morning on 61st of if you wanna join
sounds good! We head down from Dallas at 10 and should hit there about 2:30 am! Hopefully we get a smoother ride than the last trip!

·
148 Posts
May 12th trip was a good one on the New Buccaneer. Calm seas with a god Berliner bite supplemented with good number of Scamp grouper provided a great start to a nice blackfin bite with a moderate mix of yellowfin to keep things interesting. Halcos accounted for most of the yellowfin with a nice fish landed on a popper. I did not get an exact fish count but we had lots of happy anglers on the boat. Sharks and cudas took their fair share and a few nice keeper amberjack also rode home with us and will be invited to the fish fry!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
5/12-13
It was a good trip.
We did well bottom fishing. Early on we started out in around 200 ft and the Beeliners were fierce and we caught some stud Scamps too. Our last hour or so of bottom fishing was spent out deeper in 400-700 ft but the current made fishing tough out there but there were still a few quality fish caught.
We fished two rigs and a drill ship during the night and had a decent YFT bite early and the BFT bite got better as the night went on.
Trip totals....
16 YFT
160 BFT
7 AJ
15 AlmacoJack
430 Beeliners
15 Scamp
1 YellowEdge
1 YellowMouth
1 Snowy
9 Trigger Fish
1 Golden Tile
Vertebrate White Cloud Sky Seafood
Sky Cloud Watercraft Boat Fish
Water Sky Horse Plant Wood
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Asphalt Fish
Water Sky Offshore drilling Semi-submersible Crane
Water Sky Cloud Seafood Fish

Attachments

·
1,863 Posts
What an awesome trip! I had a group of four guys with me and we had a blast! I caught pinfish and tried for grouper, however no grouper for me…. We ended up with 5-12 vermillion each. I lost one fish in a tangle that bit like a grouper and fought like a grouper but who knows. On the second to the last bottom fishing spot, I had my bait on the bottom and had a small fish hit it. I was reeling it up when it suddenly took off on a big run. The electric wasn’t moving the fish and the fish was running so I had to unplug and fight it by hand. Some help from my buddy Mike and the deckhands and we stuck the gaff in my new PB AJ… we guessed it to be about 70lb!

On the last drop I had a small fish bite again and reeled it up from the depths…. What seemed like 2 hours later and my first golden tile hit the deck! What an epic trip!

Tuna for me was super slow…. My buddy Ivan hooked up early and several people helped fight his tuna before he lost it at the boat due to knot failure…

5 min later, Mike hooked up with a tuna, lost it and then hooked up again with a nice yellow. We were able to get that one in the boat. I didn’t have any luck on the Halcos other than toothy critters that kept two of mine so decided to go jig. The people that were jigging (saltynoob) and friends were crushing the blackfin on Williamson Bethos speed jigs. I think they both went through 2 stacks of tickets! Another group were crushing them with diamond jigs. I cycled through my jigs and Ivan hooked a nice yellow on the white hammered diamond jig. His line went slack and I thought to myself “I tied that knot! Oh crap”. Suddenly a shark starts attacking the tuna on the surface and destroys it! Sharks 1 team tuna 1…

I managed to catch three smalll blackfin on the Williamson but added them to the chunk pile. Chunking was a challenge. Mostly I ended up with cut lines other people caught heads. It was tough to get a tuna in the boat from a long distance!

when we moved to the drill ship, I had two really strong bites and runs on the speed jig but somehow both came unbuttoned. We were catching decent blackfin but decided to go to Auger…

when we hit Auger, I was reaching for my jig pole and noticed two people hooked up on the bow. I ran up front, grabbed my popping rod and cast out…. Boom, immediate hookup and a strong run then slack… sharked! Retied And next cast, cut leader… sharked again! Next three casts two baby yellows and a blackfin. What an epic bite! Every cast we hooked up! It was insane!
Saltynoob lost a big yellow to a shark right at the boat. Sharks were fierce!
As always this was a great trip and a great time meeting new peeps and seeing some of the old peeps again!

·
Registered
39 Posts
What an awesome trip! I had a group of four guys with me and we had a blast! I caught pinfish and tried for grouper, however no grouper for me…. We ended up with 5-12 vermillion each. I lost one fish in a tangle that bit like a grouper and fought like a grouper but who knows. On the second to the last bottom fishing spot, I had my bait on the bottom and had a small fish hit it. I was reeling it up when it suddenly took off on a big run. The electric wasn’t moving the fish and the fish was running so I had to unplug and fight it by hand. Some help from my buddy Mike and the deckhands and we stuck the gaff in my new PB AJ… we guessed it to be about 70lb!

On the last drop I had a small fish bite again and reeled it up from the depths…. What seemed like 2 hours later and my first golden tile hit the deck! What an epic trip!

Tuna for me was super slow…. My buddy Ivan hooked up early and several people helped fight his tuna before he lost it at the boat due to knot failure…

5 min later, Mike hooked up with a tuna, lost it and then hooked up again with a nice yellow. We were able to get that one in the boat. I didn’t have any luck on the Halcos other than toothy critters that kept two of mine so decided to go jig. The people that were jigging (saltynoob) and friends were crushing the blackfin on Williamson Bethos speed jigs. I think they both went through 2 stacks of tickets! Another group were crushing them with diamond jigs. I cycled through my jigs and Ivan hooked a nice yellow on the white hammered diamond jig. His line went slack and I thought to myself “I tied that knot! Oh crap”. Suddenly a shark starts attacking the tuna on the surface and destroys it! Sharks 1 team tuna 1…

I managed to catch three smalll blackfin on the Williamson but added them to the chunk pile. Chunking was a challenge. Mostly I ended up with cut lines other people caught heads. It was tough to get a tuna in the boat from a long distance!

when we moved to the drill ship, I had two really strong bites and runs on the speed jig but somehow both came unbuttoned. We were catching decent blackfin but decided to go to Auger…

when we hit Auger, I was reaching for my jig pole and noticed two people hooked up on the bow. I ran up front, grabbed my popping rod and cast out…. Boom, immediate hookup and a strong run then slack… sharked! Retied And next cast, cut leader… sharked again! Next three casts two baby yellows and a blackfin. What an epic bite! Every cast we hooked up! It was insane!
Saltynoob lost a big yellow to a shark right at the boat. Sharks were fierce!
As always this was a great trip and a great time meeting new peeps and seeing some of the old peeps again!
Great read and thank you, while im new to signing into the forum. Ive been peeking in here since 2008 or 2009. Folks used to talk a lot about their trips, it seems so many dont anymore. Its the same way on the TFF. Its nice to have this to read. More need to do so and get these forums back to being fun.

·
1,863 Posts
I wish I fished more often but it’s one trip per spring and fall for me…. I try to give back to the sport I love and am glad you like the write ups! I will try to post a video as well. My camera kept cutting in and out so hopefully I have some decent footage. It’s hard to film and fish so will see what I have!

221 - 240 of 245 Posts