360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
804 Posts
What kind of boat do you run? Never fished the west gulf so not sure how much of a diff it is from the Tampa area in FL. We get a lot of Mangrove snapper over here offshore. Never dreamed i would cuss red snappers but they have become a pain on many of our places as they push the gags and other snappers out of the way.
He runs an 85' cat Galveston Party Boats INC

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
On the 12 hour offshore trips, can anyone comment on the average depths that are usually fished?
Outside of Red Snapper season 160-200 ft and during RS season we will sometimes fish as shallow as 60 ft. We had a really good 12 hour this past Saturday, we caught 760 Beeliners for 85 people. The 12s have been outstanding over the last month.

Food Plant Seafood Line Fish
Water Seafood Fish Boat Fish products
Rectangle Azure Font Electric blue Technology
Food Vertebrate Seafood Fish Wood

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Capt Matt you reckon well get any deep drop trips on the scheddy this fall? Also, Dec or late Nov for the fall trips. This contractor life has my schedule extremely flexible.
I have been working on the schedule, right now I’m thinking we will run a weekly deep drop trip from late August through the end of September and start tuna fishing around the beginning of October. That could change but I’m leaning that direction as the past few years tuna fishing hasn’t been good until after the first week or two in October.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We gotta go out 90 miles+ to get into big beastyliners as i call them. South end of the middle grounds has been hammered out for years. Got some stuff 85 miles southwest of Clearwater in 240ft we get them to around 4 lbs or more. Been blowing here for days and looks like it will keeping on blowing this week and my 8 day trip starts Wends. Rare to get a northeast wind for days in May. Been seeing more lane snaps on the day trips to the south in 80ft the last few years. I guess you guys don't use bait buckets and got place on the rail to hold bait. One less thing to get under your feet.

201 - 220 of 245 Posts