360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For booking and availability go to our website galvestonpartyboats.com or give us a call (409)763-5423. The office will begin taking reservations on Monday December 20th at 7:30 am. All open boat trips this Spring will be 30 hrs and will max out at 38 passengers. This years price will be $425.
If you have any questions feel free to ask here or shoot me a PM.

Jan
3-4 Mon-Tues New Moon
6-7 Th-Fr 1/4 Moon
10-11 Mon-Tues 1/2 Moon
13-14 Th-Fr 3/4 Moon
17-18 Mon-Tues Full Moon
31-1 Mon-Tues New Moon
Feb
3-4 Th-Fr New Moon
7-8 Mon-Tues 1/2 Moon
10-11 Th-Fr 3/4 Moon
24-25 Th-Fr 1/2 Moon
28-1 Mon-Tues New Moon
Mar
3-4 Th-Fr New Moon
10-11 Th-Fr 1/2 Moon
15-16 Tue-Wed Full Moon
24-25 Th-Fr 1/2 Moon
28-29 Mon-Tues 1/4 Moon
31-1 Th-Fr New Moon
April
4-5 Mon-Tues 1/4 Moon
11-12 Mon-Tues 3/4 Moon
25-26 Mon-Tues 1/4 Moon
28-29 Th-Fr New Moon
May
2-3 Mon-Tues New Moon
9-10 Mon-Tues 1/2 Moon
12-13 Th-Fr 3/4 Moon
23-24 Mon-Tues 1/2 Moon
26-27 Th-Fr 1/4 Moon

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which month would be best to get into grouper during the bottom stops? Thanks and looking forward to joining you for a few of them.
April and May. Most Grouper are closed February and March. After the time change in March we will have more time to bottom fish too. Also keep in mind that AJs SHOULD open up in May.

·
Registered
38 Posts
April and May. Most Grouper are closed February and March. After the time change in March we will have more time to bottom fish too. Also keep in mind that AJs SHOULD open up in May.
I know I may be opening up a can of worms here but,

In your opinion, what moon phase/month/timing would be best for YFT rig fishing in the GOM?

I've heard alot of things, much of it conflicting.......

Hopefully this doesn't explode. 😂🤣😅

·
277 Posts
I know I may be opening up a can of worms here but,

In your opinion, what moon phase/month/timing would be best for YFT rig fishing in the GOM?

I've heard alot of things, much of it conflicting.......

Hopefully this doesn't explode. 😂🤣😅
You can read about my statistical analysis here: A statistical analysis of tuna fishing on GPB. Main....
Statistically, moon phase does not seem to matter much. There is some definite seasonality to the YFT catch rate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can read about my statistical analysis here: A statistical analysis of tuna fishing on GPB. Main....
Statistically, moon phase does not seem to matter much. There is some definite seasonality to the YFT catch rate.

Ah the great HungryJack and his all knowing wisdom chimed in.....lucky us.

I presume based on the data that there are other variables at play. From what I gather, current likely has a great effect?

How can we understand current? Are there global trends within the GOM fishery? Are they seasonal? Related to atmospheric pressure changes?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Booked April 4th and April 11th. After 2 trips with no yellowfin hook ups, I'm still a glutton for punishment. I seem to be getting closer and closer each trip though.

1st - trip only 10 tuna caught didn't stand a chance as a rookie
2nd- couldn't buy a bite BUT I did get some MASSIVE blow ups on a yummee but I couldn't connect

Here's to rounds 3 & 4.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I booked March 24/25 and May 26/27 for our group. At this point I'd take no weather disasters and lots of blackfin to be happy. Last trip we got to Galveston to find the New Buc sitting in the mud because all the water was blown out of the marina.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm booked for april 28. Do you need to stay at your assigned bench number, or do people tend to move around? The trips I've been on other boats had one side jigging and one side casting.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Most folks bottom fish from their assigned spot, at least at the beginning. People sort of move around as time passes. Once tuna fishing starts it will be casting on starboard and jigging/chunking on the port side. Most casting takes place up on the bow where you can get a good overhead cast.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm booked for april 28. Do you need to stay at your assigned bench number, or do people tend to move around? The trips I've been on other boats had one side jigging and one side casting.
For some reason everyone tends to crowd towards the stern, in warmer months it can give you an advantage by drifting off the stern but in my opinion it’s not worth the tangles. I would recommend bottom fishing where ever the least crowded place is at.... usually the bow. At night your rail position will depend on the style of fishing your doing. Chunking and jigging on the port side and casting everywhere else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also keep in mind that your bench number and rail number will likely be different numbers. The rail number is what you will want to put your fish on.
Sounds good, wanted to confirm. Killed plenty of snapper with y'all in summer but this'll be my first tuna trip on the buccaneer. Also want to clarify, I meant rail number when I said bench number, my brain is just running on fumes right now. New spinfisher arrived today, excited to break it in in a few months.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We are going to try and move tomorrow’s trip to Tuesday-Wednesday. The recent update doesn’t look good for a departure tomorrow. If we are able to successfully move the trip there will likely be open spots. The fishing should be great, with Christmas, New Years and the bad weather there has not been any fishing pressure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We are going to try and move tomorrow’s trip to Tuesday-Wednesday. The recent update doesn’t look good for a departure tomorrow. If we are able to successfully move the trip there will likely be open spots. The fishing should be great, with Christmas, New Years and the bad weather there has not been any fishing pressure.
Smart move Matt. Its probably the best weather window in Jan.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We kicked off 2022 with a great night of tuna fishing.
This trip was originally a Monday-Tuesday trip but got bumped back a day because of weather.
We didn’t have much time for bottom fishing on the way out. We made two quick stops but the fishing was pretty slow. We managed to catch some nice Scamps but the Beeliners just wouldn’t cooperate. I marked them good and if we had more time I feel like we could have had a decent day but I did not want to sacrifice any more tuna fishing time for more poor bottom fishing so we went ahead and started making tracks for the floaters.
We arrived about an hour after sunset and it was steady all night, we averaged 4-5 YFT every drift.
I saw fish caught on Halcos, Frenzy’s, and live Flyers. Our biggest fish went 120 lbs with a handful more over 100.
Trip totals...
71 YFT
144 BFT
14 Scamp
48 Beeliners
Animal product Fish Seafood Ray-finned fish Fish products
Water Sky Boat Fish Fishing
Sky Boat Vertebrate Watercraft Naval architecture
Blue Gadget Font Line Display device

This last pic is Beeliners suspended on the rock from 225-300 but we couldn’t get them going.

1 - 20 of 307 Posts