360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
4/26-27
Sorry for the late report.
This trip was not a great one for us. I had a feeling with the super moon that it would either be a wide open bite or a very tough one and unfortunately for us it was the latter of the two. Sometimes a big moon can make it tough fishing but we have seen some WTFO bites as well and that’s what I was hoping to see when I scheduled this one.
After a pretty good day of bottom fishing we started the night at Nansen, based off a good report from 3 days prior.
After a few drifts we still had not landed a tuna. Next stop was Hoover and after a few drifts there once again still not a tuna of any kind and the machine was bare. It did not take long to see that Hoover was not the answer so we continued South to Perdido.
When we arrived at Perdido at 1:30 we still had not caught our first tuna but ended up finding a few fish there. The reminder of the night we hooked a YFT per drift (mostly chunks) and a few BFT per drift. Although we didn’t exactly light any thing on fire at Perdido I was glad to see some life at that point in the trip. At times the machine was lit up pretty good.
It was a difficult trip and we covered 70 miles throughout the night looking for a bite.
I have to give props to our fishermen on this one, y’all never gave up and fished hard all night, you guys definitely had to work for them this trip.

Trip totals.....
8 YFT
46 BFT
270 Beeliners
6 Scamp
1 Black Jack
1 Almaco Jack
View attachment 118291 View attachment 118290 View attachment 118292
Thank you Matt for the great trip. You are an amazing captain and you crew is spectacular. The fact you never gave up and constantly hunted down the tuna says a lot about you and your crew. It wasn’t the most productive trip ever but man it definitely showed me where my loyalty lies forever in a captain. Thank you and your crew again.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Thank you Matt for the great trip. You are an amazing captain and you crew is spectacular. The fact you never gave up and constantly hunted down the tuna says a lot about you and your crew. It wasn’t the most productive trip ever but man it definitely showed me where my loyalty lies forever in a captain. Thank you and your crew again.
I appreciate that!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I tried booking a tuna trip with GPB at the beginning of the year and unfortunately they where all booked. I had to book with WPB instead. I have t been on these trips before so I’m breaking the ice with this trip in May. I’ve heard tons of information regarding the Halco 130’s. What colors work the most often? Do the larger 190’s work as well?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
So I tried booking a tuna trip with GPB at the beginning of the year and unfortunately they where all booked. I had to book with WPB instead. I have t been on these trips before so I’m breaking the ice with this trip in May. I’ve heard tons of information regarding the Halco 130’s. What colors work the most often? Do the larger 190’s work as well?
I’m sorry that you were not able to get on with us.
130s work much better than the 190s. Colors vary from trip to trip but there are a few I would recommend bringing, Red and White, Yellowfin, Pilchard, Chrome Pink, and Stripey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was at bass pro and saw a huge selection of Nomad Madscad, Rapala subwalk, and a few others that look extremely well made. Any of these producing on these trips or people just sticking to the ol’ realiable?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Id say halos get bit the most because people use them the most. Ive seen yellows caught on flying fish, poppers, etc. Its your decision and if ones not working it nice to have something else to try. Plus there are whole threads on this with a lot of good info

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was at bass pro and saw a huge selection of Nomad Madscad, Rapala subwalk, and a few others that look extremely well made. Any of these producing on these trips or people just sticking to the ol’ realiable?
The only other option I would consider is the Yo-Zuri High Speed Vibe. You do not have to change out the hardware on them, but I have so many Halco 130's, not sure if it would even get a chance?

·
Registered
143 Posts
So did anyone here go out on the AJ opener? Getting close to my next trip and now I'm getting antsy. Hoping to hear good news.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm beginning to get concerned with all the reports of 20+ MPH wind and 8 ft seas. Not sure where the go no go line is but I know my luck. My tuna supply won't hold until the fall trips!

141 - 160 of 193 Posts