360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

121 - 140 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thursday and Friday we had a great trip on the New Buccaneer. Blackfin and Pogy chunks accounted for most of our yellowfin. Weather started out rough but slowly settled down for a comfortable drift. The Halco 130 max also worked well, but the chunk bite was pretty intense, with multiple big fish racing through the chum slick in plain sight. A few big sharks nibbled on our tuna and our chunks but thats just part of the show. Good food at good prices at the boats galley. This is a well run operation with a wonderful crew and solid deckhands at a very fair price. We stayed at the Harbor View hotel the night before the trip and it was great and cheap and only 2 blocks from the boat in Galveston. TIP: bring a sleeping bag and a pillow! They keep the cabin cold! These trips sellout early. If you want to go, you should book as soon as a new trip schedule comes out to avoid disappointment.
Great report, thank you! 😊

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
4/19-20

Well guys we had a tough trip this time around.
We put some fish in the boat but it was not what I had expected with how good the fishing has been.
Bottom fishing was ok, we caught some good Beeliners a few Scamp and a potential state record Goldface Tile.
We started our night back at Nansen where we did well just a few nights ago. I counted 5 other boats at the rig when we pulled up and knew instantly that it would not be the same. We made two drifts and headed further South for Hoover. There was two other boats there when we arrived and several more joined throughout the night. There were some fish there but it was a grind for us. We hooked a yellowfin on almost every drift but had quite a few missed opportunities.
At 4 am we headed back to Nansen hoping for a morning bite but it never happened.
It was a tough trip, all the boat traffic definitely hurt the fishing on this one.
Our Thursday trip was moved up to tomorrow because of weather and now has a lot of openings if anyone wants to hop on a last minute light load trip give the office a call. Weather allowing I plan on heading to Magnolia.

Trip totals......
14 YFT
50 BFT
6 Scamp
2 Goldface Tile
243 Beeliners
6E773AEA-8702-4E3D-A590-879A05EBF0B0.jpeg

4BD0A100-B759-4755-8DB1-1558A0B7D66E.jpeg

8A71E549-327F-4309-B07C-3DB23DFA9290.jpeg
C90C3894-D0AE-4568-871D-6488B35A4D1B.jpeg
4EAD307D-08D7-451C-9EBC-646824549295.jpeg
F2A23583-4447-401F-9647-7760A3EC762D.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man better than coming up empty! I’m hoping to get on the winter tuna trips this year. I had to book with Williams in May for their tuna trip because you guys where booked up. I have 3 groups going snapper fishing though! We all love the New Buccaneer. I have groups going June 26, July 3rd, and July 10th. Deep dropping is becoming more popular with everyone. A overnight bottom fishing beat down would be awesome and a whole lot easier than chasing them Tuna. Them tile fish, barrel fish, Berliner’s, snowy’s, and queens are delicious!! Thank you for providing your reports Capt. Matt!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m going out on the 26th of this month (aka Monday). Have y’all ever done a friendly pool for the biggest fish? Like $10 a person or something.

·
1,720 Posts
Matt, I am on the May 10/11 trip and plan to bring an electric reel (first time). I have it on a conventional rod. Is there a special rod holder needed (if so can I reserve one)? Also do the just work with a normal 12v battery?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I’m going out on the 26th of this month (aka Monday). Have y’all ever done a friendly pool for the biggest fish? Like $10 a person or something.
I haven't seen it done as a boat thing, but our group always does a 20 buck pool among ourselves with a catch. The rule is the winner has to use the money to buy drinks for the losers until either the money is gone or everyone gives up and goes to bed. If everyone crashes early the winner keeps the leftovers!

We also have a trophy that changes hands every trip.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't seen it done as a boat thing, but our group always does a 20 buck pool among ourselves with a catch. The rule is the winner has to use the money to buy drinks for the losers until either the money is gone or everyone gives up and goes to bed. If everyone crashes early the winner keeps the leftovers!

We also have a trophy that changes hands every trip.
Oooh, I like that, but I'm pretty sure no one will be pop'n tops at 7am after fishing all night?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Matt, I am on the May 10/11 trip and plan to bring an electric reel (first time). I have it on a conventional rod. Is there a special rod holder needed (if so can I reserve one)? Also do the just work with a normal 12v battery?
Hi Eric, I've been on a few trips where people had electric reels and they all provided their own power( most are 12v) and I think YOU ARE the special rod holder.
Good luck on the trip!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oooh, I like that, but I'm pretty sure no one will be pop'n tops at 7am after fishing all night?
Well you would be selling our thirst for beer short to assume that! Okay back in our younger days yes we would. These days we save the libations for the evening we get back. We always stay in town the night after a trip and drive back fresh the next day.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well you would be selling our thirst for beer short to assume that! Okay back in our younger days yes we would. These days we save the libations for the evening we get back. We always stay in town the night after a trip and drive back fresh the next day.
Okay, got it. Thought you were talking about while on the boat....sorry!😊

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
4/21-22
This trip was originally scheduled to leave Thursday but with the forecast we decided to push it up a day instead of canceling. Although we pushed the trip up to a better window it still was not pretty, and just barley do able. In fact I have never turned around on a tuna trip but I was very close to turning around on this one, the ride wasn’t bad with the direction we were going but the seas were an extremely choppy 6-7 foot. At around 30 miles out the wind seemed to die some and we kept on going in the right direction.
It ended up being an excellent trip all the way around.
Bottom fishing was short but productive. We had nearly a one day limit of Beeliners for our light load of 25. There was also a few nice Scamps and a big Almaco caught.
After our tough night of fishing on the last trip we tuna fished the complete opposite direction on this one and it was solid.
The first drift of the night produced around 10 YFT and it was fairly steady for most of the night. We also caught 13 Big Eye and a lot of them were caught on Halcos as well, which is highly unusual to see them shallow like that. There was also a few yellows caught on jigs.
Totals.....
28 YFT
13 Big Eye
250 BFT
240 Vermilion Snapper
5 Scamp
1 Almaco Jack
19805ED5-1111-44FE-A7F7-52D32F7AF92A.jpeg
14A8E2F5-F949-4E86-82D4-EDFAA4FAD5F2.jpeg
680633C1-6226-46F4-A77B-8E1C8DD8808B.jpeg
C771E60B-1F99-4DCB-9FF2-450B5EBF9EA1.jpeg
C4782214-19A4-43AA-9BD4-2DF8FC14A27C.jpeg
C96927B3-6AFE-4726-ABD1-5CAB3423D75F.jpeg

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
4/26-27
Sorry for the late report.
This trip was not a great one for us. I had a feeling with the super moon that it would either be a wide open bite or a very tough one and unfortunately for us it was the latter of the two. Sometimes a big moon can make it tough fishing but we have seen some WTFO bites as well and that’s what I was hoping to see when I scheduled this one.
After a pretty good day of bottom fishing we started the night at Nansen, based off a good report from 3 days prior.
After a few drifts we still had not landed a tuna. Next stop was Hoover and after a few drifts there once again still not a tuna of any kind and the machine was bare. It did not take long to see that Hoover was not the answer so we continued South to Perdido.
When we arrived at Perdido at 1:30 we still had not caught our first tuna but ended up finding a few fish there. The reminder of the night we hooked a YFT per drift (mostly chunks) and a few BFT per drift. Although we didn’t exactly light any thing on fire at Perdido I was glad to see some life at that point in the trip. At times the machine was lit up pretty good.
It was a difficult trip and we covered 70 miles throughout the night looking for a bite.
I have to give props to our fishermen on this one, y’all never gave up and fished hard all night, you guys definitely had to work for them this trip.

Trip totals.....
8 YFT
46 BFT
270 Beeliners
6 Scamp
1 Black Jack
1 Almaco Jack
7AC7297C-B2B2-4F29-B5B4-6A92173C7A13.jpeg
0A21BE84-ED99-40A4-84FE-49A6FE480BC0.jpeg
F4F3400C-A799-481E-9741-4C7603C158C8.jpeg

121 - 140 of 193 Posts