360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

101 - 120 of 193 Posts

·
718 Posts
Orcas than whales in the Gulf?
Humback whales breed usually in Sea of Cortez and Baja,one female two or more males
Shows what they got and she picks one !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Weather cancellation
Capt. Matt, the weather/wave height in the Gulf seems to be high over the last months. I'm fairly new to the Tuna fishing world having just moved South 3 years ago, so I'm still trying to figure it all out. I have had 6 out of 7 tuna trips cancel in the last 7 months, including 3 this year due to weather, I know you guys do everything you can to get trips out safely and obviously you have no control over weather. Is this trend of weather we are seeing in the Gulf fairly normal for Spring? It seems like the wave height was under 6-7 feet just a few days in March. Either way, I'm going to keep trying to get out there with you guys, You are the best at what you do. My next one is April 12th. Maybe I'm just snake-bit with booking trips.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Capt. Matt, the weather/wave height in the Gulf seems to be high over the last months. I'm fairly new to the Tuna fishing world having just moved South 3 years ago, so I'm still trying to figure it all out. I have had 6 out of 7 tuna trips cancel in the last 7 months, including 3 this year due to weather, I know you guys do everything you can to get trips out safely and obviously you have no control over weather. Is this trend of weather we are seeing in the Gulf fairly normal for Spring? It seems like the wave height was under 6-7 feet just a few days in March. Either way, I'm going to keep trying to get out there with you guys, You are the best at what you do. My next one is April 12th. Maybe I'm just snake-bit with booking trips.
Wow! Talk about a run of bad luck...hope you get to go in April!🤞

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Spring weather can vary from year to year, this year just sucks so far. Seems like it’s been blowing 20 knots just about every day. I think we have canceled more trips than we have made so far. It should straighten out in the next month... hopefully.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
4/5-6
Sorry for the late report.
Bottom fishing was not great, we fished a couple different areas and depths from 170-300 ft. We saw a few Scamps and Almacos and the Beeliners that we caught were mostly jumbos but the numbers were not what I was hoping to see.
The night time fishing on the other hand was excellent. It was solid for most of the night, we picked up 3-4 YFT and 30 or so BFT on every drift. Most yellows were caught off Halco 130s with a decent number coming off of chunks.
Trip Totals...
52 YFT
1 BigEye
352 BFT
148 Vermilion Snapper
4 Scamp
7 AmacoJack
1BE28652-A846-48E1-8CE8-5DE55865B912.jpeg
9AF31125-A5E2-40D0-A66D-A6FB58927D4E.jpeg

·
Registered
40 Posts
looks like you might get lucky this time , and dont say i jinxed ya cause im no jinky, lol

MONDAY...East winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 feet. A slight chance
of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon.
.MONDAY NIGHT...East winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 feet.
.TUESDAY...East winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 feet. A slight
chance of thunderstorms in the morning. A slight chance of
showers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
looks like you might get lucky this time , and dont say i jinxed ya cause im no jinky, lol

showers.

showers.
it’s looking good! 👏👏. I’ve been shying away from the marine weather report to keep from jinxing the trip. Maybe that’s the key. Looking forward to it!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gotta say thanks to Capt. Matt and his excellent crew for getting me on the biggest fish I've ever caught in my life last week. It's the chungus YFT on the bottom row, far left in the pic he posted. 69lbs exactly on the scale by the cleaning station. "Chrome/Pink" Halco with 2/0 Owner ST-66 hooks.

I want to reiterate my compliments to the crew of the New Bucc. Capt. Matt is awesome and goes the extra mile to get you on the best fish he can. I'd trust any boat he's in charge of, and his crew is the same caliber. I've been on boats with lazy-ass crews and it's a night and day difference. Matt's crew works its collective ass off for you and deserves every last penny of any tip you give them. I'm booked for the first trip in AJ open season with two of my brothers and I can't wait to sail on this boat again (and if you're listening Capt Matt, please put us on some big AJ thank you).

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
4/12-13

My game plan on this trip was to head East and just like the last two trips my plans changed once we broke the jetties. It was just a little too choppy out of the East to make good speed that way, maybe do able but I was worried that it would build once we got to deep water and unfortunately for us I was right.
We turned South and headed for where we did well on Thursday night.
Our bottom fishing on the way out was pretty good, only had time for 3 stops and they were alright, I didn’t see quite the numbers of Vermilion I would have liked but we made up for it in size. Most of them were jumbos. There were also a hand full of Almacos and Groupers caught, including a nice Black that went around 50 lbs.
Tuna fishing ended up being ok. We got a little bit of a late start as it got nasty once we got off the shelf and we lost some speed but at least we had a good direction on it. At that time I was happy with myself for the direction I chose, up until then I was second guessing my decision to throw in the towel on heading out East but it ended up being the right one.
The night fishing was a little slow but it was steady enough. We caught a Yellowfin on almost every drift and Blackfin were fairly easy all night. Halcos and Chunks were the weapons of choice. I still haven’t seen any fish caught in poppers or Flyers yet this season but we did see a hand full of flyers so hopefully that bite will turn in soon.
We ended up with 5 fish better than 80 lbs with one that I estimated to be 120, I don’t think anyone weighed it.

Totals....
31 YFT
180 BFT
189 Beeliners
7 Scamp
9 AlmacoJack
1 Black Grouper
EB16A124-AC66-4F8E-8C52-FCEAF8E29BD5.jpeg
296773DA-0CF7-420A-923C-36386994C23F.jpeg
DB72B7E2-9943-40F8-8F81-7D9BFEF4A95C.jpeg

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Gotta say thanks to Capt. Matt and his excellent crew for getting me on the biggest fish I've ever caught in my life last week. It's the chungus YFT on the bottom row, far left in the pic he posted. 69lbs exactly on the scale by the cleaning station. "Chrome/Pink" Halco with 2/0 Owner ST-66 hooks.

I want to reiterate my compliments to the crew of the New Bucc. Capt. Matt is awesome and goes the extra mile to get you on the best fish he can. I'd trust any boat he's in charge of, and his crew is the same caliber. I've been on boats with lazy-ass crews and it's a night and day difference. Matt's crew works its collective ass off for you and deserves every last penny of any tip you give them. I'm booked for the first trip in AJ open season with two of my brothers and I can't wait to sail on this boat again (and if you're listening Capt Matt, please put us on some big AJ thank you).
Thanks for the kind words, I will do my best. I’m ready for some AJ fishing.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
EBDE4476-D7E7-4A7C-A790-014712039040.jpeg
2EBAFE15-9700-480D-96DF-471106FB0B52.jpeg
C5C71637-B487-495F-9F1C-DE9E850369C2.jpeg
The trip we got in off of today was a great one. This trip almost didn’t make. The forecast was borderline but we looked at all the different forecasts that were available and felt like we could make the trip.
Bottom fishing was ok, the weather was pretty rough and when it gets like that I look for bigger spots that we can swing around on and still stay on hard bottom. With that being said it limits us quite a bit in rough conditions. We had 185 Beeliners but they were mostly studs.
Tuna fishing was outstanding, we had what I would say was the best chunk bite I have ever seen. We caught some fish on Halcos but the majority came off chunks. We were able to make long drifts and keep the fish with us in the chum for several miles. The sharks did give us problems throughout the night and forced us to cut a few drifts short due to some of our fish getting eaten.
On one drift we even saw a few Bluefins in the chum mixed in with some big Yellows but we never did get any of those jumbo yellows or blues or eat anything.

Totals...
71 YFT
156 BFT
185 Beeliners
1 Scamp

·
133 Posts
View attachment 118186 View attachment 118187 View attachment 118188 The trip we got in off of today was a great one. This trip almost didn’t make. The forecast was borderline but we looked at all the different forecasts that were available and felt like we could make the trip.
Bottom fishing was ok, the weather was pretty rough and when it gets like that I look for bigger spots that we can swing around on and still stay on hard bottom. With that being said it limits us quite a bit in rough conditions. We had 185 Beeliners but they were mostly studs.
Tuna fishing was outstanding, we had what I would say was the best chunk bite I have ever seen. We caught some fish on Halcos but the majority came off chunks. We were able to make long drifts and keep the fish with us in the chum for several miles. The sharks did give us problems throughout the night and forced us to cut a few drifts short due to some of our fish getting eaten.
On one drift we even saw a few Bluefins in the chum mixed in with some big Yellows but we never did get any of those jumbo yellows or blues or eat anything.

Totals...
71 YFT
156 BFT
185 Beeliners
1 Scamp

·
133 Posts
Thursday and Friday we had a great trip on the New Buccaneer. Blackfin and Pogy chunks accounted for most of our yellowfin. Weather started out rough but slowly settled down for a comfortable drift. The Halco 130 max also worked well, but the chunk bite was pretty intense, with multiple big fish racing through the chum slick in plain sight. A few big sharks nibbled on our tuna and our chunks but thats just part of the show. Good food at good prices at the boats galley. This is a well run operation with a wonderful crew and solid deckhands at a very fair price. We stayed at the Harbor View hotel the night before the trip and it was great and cheap and only 2 blocks from the boat in Galveston. TIP: bring a sleeping bag and a pillow! They keep the cabin cold! These trips sellout early. If you want to go, you should book as soon as a new trip schedule comes out to avoid disappointment.

·
1,720 Posts
We are booked for the May 13/14 trip. Currently have my kitchen counter covered in a pile of jigs and halcos trying to make sure I have everything ready! I've got the tuna fever pretty bad already.
. You and me both! I am on the May 10/11 trip and can’t wait!

101 - 120 of 193 Posts