360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just got an email.

Good evening,

We are currently experiencing an issue with our new engines. We hope this issue will be corrected in time for the trip this coming Thursday. However, there is a possibility of a cancellation. The trip is still set to go out Thursday. We will send another email updating you on the situation.

Thank you for your understanding
Ahh, dang! Hope they get the bugs worked out for your trip! I'm going in two weeks....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hopefully it’s getting calmer . 5ft sea is too rough for me. Lol
5 ft is very doable, I’m not a big fan of swells but we had some crazy good bites on rough weather. Hydrate before trip and wear the patch, eat tumms, do whatever you need to feel better .

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
1F6210A3-4167-4379-910C-4FC4028997BF.jpeg
D576E116-1393-4727-A2A6-9BA17B73A818.jpeg
914BAC4F-4778-4135-90CF-C9DB1F0AA841.jpeg
B5FF90FF-5294-4D21-83BA-C7913579747E.jpeg
C88ED68D-1D4B-4AAC-91D8-BC3D4C66718E.jpeg

Our first trip of the year was a good one. First trips back after a long break are always a little stressful with the lack of reports but we were fortunate to hit it right.
We made a long run so didn’t have much time to bottom fish but were successful with the short time we had. Most Groupers are closed and so are AJs so we had to throw some quality fish back but we ended up with a good catch of Beeliners.
The Tuna fishing was steady early on but got really slow just before moon rise but it gradually improved once the moon came up after midnight. Blackfin were easy pickings, we had to work for our Yellows but caught some quality fish for the time of year with the big one going 125 gutted.

Trip totals...
25 YFT
315 BFT
205 Beeliners
7 AlmacoJack

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Bait of choice for the bigger models?! Chunks do any good? I'm on tomorrow.
Caught fish in chunks and Halco’s, bigger ones came off chunks. We ran East, going to try and get back out that way but we are going to have a stiff East wind tomorrow so we may not be able to make that heading.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Capt. Matt, could you tell if you gained any more speed with the new Cats, or do you think it is about the same?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Capt. Matt, could you tell if you gained any more speed with the new Cats, or do you think it is about the same?
Its pretty close to the same. We plan on to swap wheels pretty soon and that should boost the speed. These Cats have more power but they also drink more, there’s potential for a speed gain but we are more concerned with getting the fuel burn down. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind burning fuel but we are pushing the boat to her limits already with the max fuel we can carry. We are burning close to 10% more per hour with the new engines.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts