360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
161 - 180 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
How do you eat yellowfin? Never fished for tuna other that got some blackfin by mistake. I always sold them back in the day.
Yellowfin and blackfin are really very similar in flavor when fresh. Main difference I think is that blackfin gets mushier after freezing and the yield of a yft is obviously much larger, makes it possible to portion out a fish into different cuts of meat much easier. Both are pretty lean so there isn't a super fatty belly piece like on bluefin. The AJ I caught on my last trip had a very fatty belly, melts in your mouth and tastes a lot like crab. Tuna steaks of course are very popular, and you can't go wrong with some good tuna tataki.

Some Indian recipes I like:

Haven't tried this one yet but it looks good:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Of course if the tuna is bled and handled properly sushi can be a very nice option. I like to make it on the evening that I get back from the tuna trip. Clean the fish in the morning and and in the evening prepare the rest of the meal and slice the fish.

Food Animal product Ingredient Cuisine Dish
Food Ingredient Animal product Recipe Cuisine
Food Tableware Table Dishware Plate
Food Dishware Tableware Ingredient Recipe

Red snapper can make good sushi too but only the small ones. The big ones don't taste as good and the texture is not so nice
Food Tableware Ingredient Animal product Recipe

·
Registered
100 Posts
I always just like Gag grouper and Pink porgies the best. Porgies are by far my fav fish to eat. Even the big 15 lb margate porgies are pure white meat. King fish is good smoked and jacks are super good smoked. Back when we could keep small jacks i liked them broiled.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Of course if the tuna is bled and handled properly sushi can be a very nice option. I like to make it on the evening that I get back from the tuna trip. Clean the fish in the morning and and in the evening prepare the rest of the meal and slice the fish.

View attachment 124779 View attachment 124783 View attachment 124782 View attachment 124780

Red snapper can make good sushi too but only the small ones. The big ones don't taste as good and the texture is not so nice
View attachment 124781
Red snaps Lack the snap in taste to me. Smaller mangrove snaps are very good and small mutton snaps. Not sure if you guys get mangrove or mutton snaps over where you are.

·
Registered
100 Posts
They call the Mangrove, gray snapper on our side...
And some areas call them black snapper. Looks like a cane may get in the gulf next week. I remember when i was decking on the Double eagle back in Sept of 1985 we had a cane get stuck 2 days in the middle grounds. About 5 days later we took a fun trip with just the crew and fished some stuff 53 miles offshore and got 5000lbs of grouper in a day in 104ft. All of our 11hr and 20 hour trips were filling the boxes in 1 to 2 stops. It was unreal like we were fishing back in the 1940's. The water was muddy for two weeks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I remember when i was decking on the Double eagle back in Sept of 1985 we had a cane get stuck 2 days in the middle grounds. About 5 days later we took a fun trip with just the crew and fished some stuff 53 miles offshore and got 5000lbs of grouper in a day in 104ft. All of our 11hr and 20 hour trips were filling the boxes in 1 to 2 stops. It was unreal like we were fishing back in the 1940's. The water was muddy for two weeks.
Hurricane Elena. I remember being 10 years old and having to evacuate from the water park (Styx River Water World) when the storm did a 180 and started headed back west. Crazy memory.

·
Registered
165 Posts

View attachment 124779 View attachment 124783 View attachment 124782 View attachment 124780

View attachment 124781
Damn Greasylake, you got some mad kitchen skills like 6 ways to Sunday, getting all fancy, pretty sweet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hurricane Elena. I remember being 10 years old and having to evacuate from the water park (Styx River Water World) when the storm did a 180 and started headed back west. Crazy memory.
Fishing was unreal for over a month. Just before Elena we were getting 300lbs of fish on a 11 hr trip. Fishing was dead and then BOOM after the storm the fish were bunched up on the tall peaks and as soon as the lines got to the bottom all 50 rods bent over. All i had time to do was gaff fish. Our 20 hour trips we would fill the boxes in about 3 hours and had to come back early.

I would see 30lb gags floating by and gaff them and ask who's fish is this and never get a answer. We were getting nice red snapper and before that we never caught them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hurricane Juan had forumed out in the Gulf in fall of 1985, think it was October. I was living in New Orleans while I worked offshore a couple years. They had come across the news station asking for volunteers to come fill sandbags, I filled and stacked sandbags for 2 days, my hands was raw, even with gloves from the sand.

The new apartments I lived in had built a man-made creek that run through the complex. They had filled it with thousands of goldfish. It was really cool to see. We got so much rain it flooded out the creek and we lost just about every goldfish, that part was extremely sad to see. They never restocked it after that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hurricane Juan had forumed out in the Gulf in fall of 1985, think it was October. I was living in New Orleans while I worked offshore a couple years. They had come across the news station asking for volunteers to come fill sandbags, I filled and stacked sandbags for 2 days, my hands was raw, even with gloves from the sand.

The new apartments I lived in had built a man-made creek that run through the complex. They had filled it with thousands of goldfish. It was really cool to see. We got so much rain it flooded out the creek and we lost just about every goldfish, that part was extremely sad to see. They never restocked it after that.
I don't know if canes help the fishing out of TX since i don't know what the bottom is like over there. Most of our bottom is flat with pot holes and the midddle grounds and elbow have very tall peaks to 80ft high and it takes forever to get to deep water. Go 90 miles west and it is only around 270ft and then starts to drop fast in steps. Seems you guys on the New Buc do pretty good over there. I know the capt is what makes a boat.

161 - 180 of 235 Posts