360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
141 - 160 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
9/5-7

We had another good deep drop trip. The weather started out great and the current wasn’t horrible. Our first stop was in the 550 ft range where we picked up a few Queens and YellowEdge but the bite wasn’t hot. Next we moved out to 1000 ft and drifted for tiles and our first drift we boxed 18 goldens and that’s about the time the wind picked up to about 20 knots forcing us to abort and head for shallower water and anchor.
We spent the rest of the day in 400 ft and got on an insane Almaco bite (most were keeper AJ size fish) with some AJs and Queens mixed in.
Once the sun set everything slowed down a little, we made a move and got on a decent Beeliner bite but the tinker mackerel were a nuisance and it was about 50/50 on Vermilion and Tinkers.
It was a good trip and I’m very happy with the results, these trips all seem to have their ups and downs and this deepwater fishing is new for all of us, I’m learning a lot on these trips as well as you guys. On this one the guys jigging out fished the bait guys.

Trip totals...
16 AJ
71 AlmacoJack.... big ones
3 BandedRudderFish
3 BFT
14 LongTailSeaBass
12 YellowEdge
2 Snowy
1 Warsaw
12 QueenSnapper
347 Beeliners
3 BlueTile
18 GoldenTile
4 Barrelfish
5 Scamp
1 Yellowmouth
1 YellowEyeSnapper
Vertebrate Animal product Sky Seafood Fish
Water Sky Wood Seafood Fish
Food Seafood Fish Staple food Water
Vertebrate Public space Fish Seafood Fish products
Television Gadget Line Font Rectangle
Azure Rectangle Font Gadget Display device
Output device Computer Flat panel display Computer monitor accessory Television set

·
Registered
100 Posts
Look at that 4 digit water depth and the sharp drop on that screen shot, Wow....
Excellent report and thumbs up on the jiggers for the win!
Looks like some of our roll offs and peaks in the middle grounds. I would hate to get hung that deep with mono and try to break off the line that deep. Odd how 40lb can break easy on a fish but get hung in the bottom and pull your arms off trying to break it.

·
684 Posts
I was jigging with Greasylake on the starboard side bow for most of the time and had several “firsts“ on this trip:
  • first time slow jigging - starting in 550‘ definitely increased the learning curve a bit
  • first fish for me was a long tail sea bass while jigging - my first of species ever
  • first barrel fish - on bait 😕
  • first time deep dropping past 600’ with a manual crank 👎🏻
  • caught my PB red snapper of 20-22# while slow jigging in 400’ - really hurt to watch if float off after venting it.

Lessons learned:
  • a Trinidad 16na doesnt have enough capacity of 30# j-braid to jig really deep - especially if to lose a little
  • felt my 8’ MH Temple Reef Innovate was a little light to use with 300+ gram jigs out deep
  • 30# braid is really hard to break with hung on the bottom in ~600’
  • 120# offshore angler split rings are very weak - had one open on a decent size Almaco thankfully right after it hit the deck

Things that left me puzzled:
  • why small beeliners released while jigging in 550’ of water swim back down w/o issue but float when caught while fishing bait in 300’
  • why no groupers were caught jigging - at least none I saw / heard about unless Lucky got one.
  • why some folks try to claim fish they didnt catch - saw a couple instances this trip with one being that big queen that Greasylake jigged up

Total fsh box for me:
2 longtail sea bass
18 beeliners
3 Almaco
1 Barrelfish
1 blackfin
*** all from jigging except the barrel and handful of the beeliners

Another great time on the water with Capt Matt, Greasylake, Dayone and few other regulars on these deep trips and a special thanks to Dayone for the Beeliner donations.

Thanks again to Capt Matt and the rest of crew for making these trips so great

·
Registered
148 Posts
And now the eating begins! The other night was blackened almaco pontchartrain and tonight was Sichuan water boiled beeliner. I've been trying to think of a way to prepare the barrel and the queens that'll let me be able to get a good grasp on what the meat is like, but haven't settled on anything yet. I'll probably remake the shui zhu yu with a queen, I think that would go well. I'll probably do saikyo miso marinated something as well. Maybe another queen or I'll do that with the barrel.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Plate
Food Tableware Banana Ingredient Mixture

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
9/12-14

Our last deep drop of the year was successful although it started pretty slow. It was a little breezy and we had a stiff current that made it tough to fish and we were not able to fish deeper than 600 ft.
Early in the day the bite was slow, the machine looked great but we were only catching 6-8 fish each stop but the quality was there. Most of our groupers were caught early.
The bite gradually got better as the day went on and it got really good about 2 hours before sunset when the jacks decided they wanted to bite. After sunset the Beeliners turned on and most of the guys that targeted them caught their 2 day limit or close to it.

Trip totals....
28 AJs
46 AlmacoJack
12 YellowEdge
6 QueenSnapper
1 YellowEye
1 Snowy
2 BlueTile
317 Beeliners
6 CreoleFish
1 Dorado
3 Scamp
5 RedPorgy
1 BFT
Vertebrate White Cloud Food Sky
Sky Water Shorts Bermuda shorts Sunglasses
Fish Gas Ray-finned fish Fin Art
Gadget Computer monitor accessory Flat panel display Font Display device
Font Output device Flat panel display Computer Electric blue
Water Cloud Fin Fish Sky

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice fish. I could never see our boats fishing in 500ft + over here. It was a nitemare fishing south of Clearwater in 240ft back in the 1980's when we had 70 peeps on the boat. Get a tangle just everytime you drop down as the current always ripped in the summer. We never got yellow wedge or yellow edge as you call them on our boats.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
9/19-20

Our first tuna trip of the fall season was a good one and it sure felt good to gaff a yellowfin again.
Bottom fishing was mostly done on natural bottom in the 200-225 ft range and the Beeliners were fierce and we had some nice Scamps and AJs as well. Our day ended at a couple rigs in 350 ft where we picked up a few Almacos and AJs.
The night was steady BFT and we were picking a YFT every other drift until midnight and things slowed down. We had a lull from midnight until 2 am but from 2am-sunrise the Yellowfin came back out to play. Early on chunks were the ticket but just before sunrise Frenzy’s were the weapon of choice. I only saw two yellows caught on Halcos, everything else was chunks, poppers or flying fish lures.

Trip totals....
20 YFT
378 BFT
522 Beeliners
9 AlmacoJack
8 AmberJack
1 HorseEyeJack
12 Scamp
8 RainbowRunner
Vertebrate Sky Fish Animal product Seafood
Blue Food Sky Fish Seafood
Vertebrate Water Fin Fish Food
Fish Seafood Fin Ray-finned fish Sky
Food Water Fish Seafood Event
Vertebrate Hat Fisherman Fish Fishing

·
Registered
3 Posts
9/19-20

Our first tuna trip of the fall season was a good one and it sure felt good to gaff a yellowfin again.
Bottom fishing was mostly done on natural bottom in the 200-225 ft range and the Beeliners were fierce and we had some nice Scamps and AJs as well. Our day ended at a couple rigs in 350 ft where we picked up a few Almacos and AJs.
The night was steady BFT and we were picking a YFT every other drift until midnight and things slowed down. We had a lull from midnight until 2 am but from 2am-sunrise the Yellowfin came back out to play. Early on chunks were the ticket but just before sunrise Frenzy’s were the weapon of choice. I only saw two yellows caught on Halcos, everything else was chunks, poppers or flying fish lures.

Trip totals....
20 YFT
378 BFT
522 Beeliners
9 AlmacoJack
8 AmberJack
1 HorseEyeJack
12 Scamp
8 RainbowRunner
View attachment 124768 View attachment 124767 View attachment 124769 View attachment 124770 View attachment 124771 View attachment 124772
It was a great first fall trip! So much fun cap!

·
Registered
100 Posts
You guys always get some nice scamp and beasty liners. I have not seen a nice scamp over here since the 1990's. Beeliners have really come back for us 110 miles northwest of Clearwater FL. Traps really wiped out the red porgies and beeliners in our area back in the early 90's. Never seen rainbow runners that big. Never caught one and not sure if they are good to eat.

141 - 160 of 235 Posts