360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
121 - 140 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
We used to kill gags in 10 to 40ft over here in the fall and red grouper to 25lbs in 90 to 240ft. Long liners wiped out the red grouper and gags are just gone for the most part over the last few years. They are gonna make the season much shorter for gags to two months a year and may close red grouper all together.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for this and all the info you provide.
What would you suggest to have at the ready if chicken dolphin were to show up. Thanks!
Rambler33
If you want to cast lures cast something that goes fast through the water like a shimano colt sniper or a duo malice . If you want to use bait you can’t go wrong with cut squid for mahi .

·
Registered
46 Posts
I reckon the first deep drop trip sailed or Captain Matt would have posted the cancellation.

Hope they have a safe trip and lot's of fish!!!
yup, but apparently because of weather which was real nasty monday morning it sailed last night near 8pm, capt. matt wanted to be fishing by sunup i heard so should be back in morning

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
We got in this morning off our first long trip of the season, it was a good deep drop trip especially for a light load of 17.
We started in 500 ft with plans on getting deeper as the day went on but the current didn’t allow us to fish any deeper than that and it gave us some problems throught the day but we were able to make it work. A few of the guys dropped down to single hook drops and they seemed to be doing the most catching and less tangling. The rig that worked best for grouper was a weight below a three way that had about 2 feet of 60 lb mono to the hook.
We ended up with a pretty good haul for our light load, I’m looking forward to next weeks trip when we can keep AJs.
Trip totals....
280 Beeliners
18 Queens
18 YellowEdge
28 Scamps
26 AlmacoJack
1 GoldenTile
3 BlueTile
2 YellowEyeSnapper
And some Longtail Seabass, RedPorgys, BigEyes and a few other reef fish mixed in. As well as a state record Vermilion Snapper caught by Mr. Fan, it weighed 6.8 lbs and was 25 1/4 inches long.
Sky Food Seafood Fish Watercraft
Water Vertebrate Sky Fish Seafood
Water Food Seafood Fish Sky
Vertebrate Food Fish Seafood Fish products
Water Boat Naval architecture Sky Watercraft
Product Font Gas Recreation Automotive tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jigging was a workout. Got away with 30lb braid and 400-500g jigs up until about 1130. We were on anchor the whole trip and the current started to really rip after noon. 20lb braid and 540g jigs still had way too much scope the second half of the day. It might have been better fishing off the back of the boat when it picked up. Still got some decent fish and had a great time though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Jigging was a workout. Got away with 30lb braid and 400-500g jigs up until about 1130. We were on anchor the whole trip and the current started to really rip after noon. 20lb braid and 540g jigs still had way too much scope the second half of the day. It might have been better fishing off the back of the boat when it picked up. Still got some decent fish and had a great time though.
Cloud Water Shorts Smile Sky

I’m guessing this is you. The one holding the fish 😂
Anyway those are some pretty big hooks. I can see you tied them yourself. But I can’t tell what hook they are

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yep that’s me. Those were 7/0 johnny jig assist hooks I still had left over from when I first learned to tie my own. Was a little worried how they would hold up to the fish but didn’t have any issues. I had 3/0, 5/0, 6/0, 7/0 with me. All the new ones I’ve been tying are VMC though.
which Vmc ones have you been using?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Plenty of videos on how to tie the spade ended hooks. It’s a huge PITA but it doesn’t look hard as long as you have a bobbin and something to hold the hook. I may have a solution for you. If I find it I’ll PM you

121 - 140 of 235 Posts