360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
81 - 100 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Had saw Capt. Matt mentioned the Flatfalls and Vibes back during the spring.
The last outing was on I threw a Flatfall for about 10 minutes, it had got pretty breezy for a bit, definitely cut through the wind.
Same with the Vibe, threw it for 10 or 15 minutes, they have got a tremendous amount of vibration, you can definitely feel the vibration throughout the entire length of the cast and hear it coming in from 40 foot out.
The one im looking forward to working next trip is the Shimano Current Sniper both casting and as jigging. Have been crushing the Hybrids and Blackbass here at home with them.

·
1,887 Posts
Could you elaborate on this a little. Which species are you targetting with this? If Scamp, do you let it sink to the bottom?
Matt mentioned this as a technique for yellowfin. You can catch grouper on jigs by dropping it to the bottom and lifting up from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd guess it has something to do with amberjack being closed in August this year.
Yeah I guess I’m just basing it off my experiences living in Florida. AJs are more wreck fishing targets for us. I don’t think anybody hopes to catch one while deep dropping in Florida as they are more of a nuisance to bring up from that depth. I’m thinking more snapper, grouper, and tilefish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No way i wanna fool with jacks in 300ft+ let alone 200ft. Back in the day i could use a diamond jig and get 300lbs of jacks on a 12 hour trip. They were so thick back in the early 1980's that jacks over 80lbs were the norm . The twin peaks on the elbow were two 80ft high peaks in over 200ft of water that was loaded with Jacks and Mutton snapper back in the day Back then jacks sold for 10 cents a lb and then they went up to 50 cents a lb in the later 80's and then over a $1 a lb. Once the price went up they got fished to death. I just can't see how people stay out of tangles in 400ft + let alone deal with jacks. I always hated fishing in over 220ft due to current and tangles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for sharing the rig, Captain Matt! What three-way swivel do you use?

Here’s an example of a good deep drop leader. How the hooks are connected is ideal for getting out of a tangle quickly, you can also keep a bunch of spare hooks tied up and if we have to cut the hooks out of the tangle they can be replaced easily.
View attachment 124246

81 - 100 of 203 Posts