360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
These are specialty trips. The summer tourist, daily 8-12 hr trips tend to be much, much shallower.
On our 2 and 3 days trips on my side of the gulf our best fishing is in 80 to 150ft and our boats just don't fish over 240ft 95% of the time. Anytime we tried 250ft or deeper it was tangle city and ripping current and few fish caught. There would be 2 or 3 very big fish like a 50lb+ gag or true black grouper and very few small fish. We have lots of current over here in the summer in 180ft+.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Hey @Capt.matt are you sure that’s the right name (twisted snoots) I’ve been trying to google them and I can’t find anything about them.
I remember what they look like. But I never watched you tie them, and trying to find something on them
That’s what we have always called them, I’m not sure if there’s anywhere online that would have that info. You may find is by searching commercial bandit fishing. I will try and post a step by step the best I can on here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another option for deep drop rigs is to use a single hook rig. The captain of a well respected head boat in the Florida keys suggests this rig to cut down on tangles and make it easier to deal with tangles when they do occur. He also mentions that he sees people catch more fish and bigger fish. They routinely fish in 400-1000ft of water. All you need is a 3-way swivel, short section of 50lb test to your lead, and a 10’ 80-100lb leader to a 8/0 or 9/0 circle hook. No crimps at all. Might be a good rig for the New Bucc as well.

·
1,882 Posts
After remodelling, moving and unpacking, we are finally settled in. I was able to spend some time catching up and was finally able to post a video of the May 12 tuna trip we went on. It was a pretty epic trip and we caught and had our chances at plenty of yellowfin! Enjoy the video!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the video @scubaarchery. The beginning was super helpful seeing the loading process, boat layout, the amount of stuff people are bringing on board. Looks like Halcos are the primary lures out there. Does anybody use anything else like nomad madscads for subsurface or gt ice creams for top water? I’ll need to get Halcos as I have none but have tons of the others.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was a great trip for sure!
Two fellow anglers and I were on that trip, and caught YFT, BFT, grouper, beeliners, and the usual throw backs. We had featured, but non speaking roles, mostly in the first third of your film. Yes, it was an epic trip, but most of the New Buc's 30 hr trips are! I watched your entire video. Even though I've been on 50+ New Buc and Cap John tuna trips in the last 15 years, I always learn something new from your videos. Thanks you for the good work! I'm signed up for 4 more trips in the fall and that's not enough!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Thanks for the video @scubaarchery. The beginning was super helpful seeing the loading process, boat layout, the amount of stuff people are bringing on board. Looks like Halcos are the primary lures out there. Does anybody use anything else like nomad madscads for subsurface or gt ice creams for top water? I’ll need to get Halcos as I have none but have tons of the others.
Frenzy Flyers, Shibukis, Magaronis, poppers, the new Nomad Vibe are all good. Don’t waste your money on the Nomad flyers. I would also bring a handful of Shimano flat falls to cast.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Frenzy Flyers, Shibukis, Magaronis, poppers, the new Nomad Vibe are all good. Don’t waste your money on the Nomad flyers. I would also bring a handful of Shimano flat falls to cast.
Matt y’all were having luck casting flat falls? That’s interesting. Casting the vibes too huh, were the hooks being switched to trebles?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Matt y’all were having luck casting flat falls? That’s interesting. Casting the vibes too huh, were the hooks being switched to trebles?
Ive switched the center hook to a treble on all the vibes in my arsenal. Some with a BKK Viper 41 2/0 and some with Owner ST 66 2/0
That's on the 6 inch ones, haven't done anything with the 5 inch ones yet. Probably go with the BKK Raptor Z 1/0 on the 5 inch. As those Raptor Z are heavy large trebles.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Casting those flat falls works really well. Hold a little tension in it while it sinks and once it gets straight up and down reel it in and start over. Tadpole usually catches his limit fishing like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need some advice on scamp rigs/tackles/techniques. Signed for two 30-hour trips this fall with a friend. Both of us will be newcomers.

I did a few searches on this website and found many useful posts. The three-way rig (pinfish), Carolina rig (pinfish), and jigs seem to be the top recommendations.

I wonder what works well on New Buccaneer. It will be great if you can help share your specific rig (e.g., leader weight/length, knots, and bait hooking), tackle (e.g., hooks and lures), and techniques (e.g., how to drop and retrieve and how to avoid twist).

Sorry for the numerous questions. Really want to get prepared for scamp, of course, in addition to tuna.

Thank you all! Tight lines!😎

61 - 80 of 97 Posts