360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wanted to do a deep drop trip, but don't have an electric so I went for the 56. I've been looking at maybe a banex or one of the medium tanacom, something I can throw on a Penn jigging rod. What do yall recommend, those of you who have em. It'd be cool to be locked n loaded for that 56hr if we're really able to deep drop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
56hr and a 30hr booked. Finally popped my cherry on a YFT out in a private trip to Nance and Boomvang got 4 on the halco (great trip overall we also picked up 2 marlin bump trolling blackfins and had a bluefin mash one too, looked like a 300lb man did cannon ball off the tuna tower). Just picked up Daiawa BG 8000 and an 8ft popping rod so make a little room on the bow fellas I'm coming in hot!
What rod did you get? I have a BG8000 and have been looking for a good rod for it? Have you cast lures with it? I’ve tried two different ones and neither cast how’d I’d like.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wanted to do a deep drop trip, but don't have an electric so I went for the 56. I've been looking at maybe a banex or one of the medium tanacom, something I can throw on a Penn jigging rod. What do yall recommend, those of you who have em. It'd be cool to be locked n loaded for that 56hr if we're really able to deep drop.
Banax 1000 all the way. The tanacoms are
Trash. Mine burned the motor just putting line on it. You will want a pretty sturdy rod, those reels are not light

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the 30 hour tuna run, what is the ideal size rod to bring and what would be the max length. I want the right gear, but also want gear I will use more than once a year. Thoughts?

·
Registered
266 Posts

This is probably the best answer to what you are asking. Eric gives a great rundown of the basic gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know the fishing schedule for the 36 deep drop trips? I realize the boat leaves the dock at 8 pm and returns 2 days later at 8 am. I assume the boat travels overnight to arrive at the first fishing spot before sunrise, but do we fish at night after sunset? I would be surprised it would take 12 hours to return to the dock at 8 am.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Does anyone know the fishing schedule for the 36 deep drop trips? I realize the boat leaves the dock at 8 pm and returns 2 days later at 8 am. I assume the boat travels overnight to arrive at the first fishing spot before sunrise, but do we fish at night after sunset? I would be surprised it would take 12 hours to return to the dock at 8 am.
We will take an easy run the night of departure and start fishing at sunrise and fish until around midnight. During the day we will fish the deeper stuff, 500-1000 ft, we will be fishing as deep as the weather and current will allow. Once the sun sets we will anchor up on a big lump for Beeliners, AJs and Almacos. We will fish until around midnight and then head home. Your looking at around 18 hours of straight fishing time.
AJs will not be open in August but will re open on Sept 1. With that being said I plan to do a lot of deeper stuff on the two trips in August and we will be targeting Tiles, Barrels, and Queens during the daytime.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Out of curiosity, just how difficult is that type of deep dropping for someone using non-electric gear? The idea of this trip fascinates me, bit I just can't get away with adding an electric reel to my arsenal. I've got a pair of Fathom LD 30's and a Penn 114 HLW which suit me fine up to 400, but anything over that seems like a challenge. Anyone here do one of these with regular gear?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could do it with your fathom 30s but you would want to scale down your braid to 30-50lb. Maybe 30 on one and 50 on the other. The HLW seems like it would be difficult with the low gear ratio and IPT. Either way it will probably be a workout. I’m likely taking some Ocea Jiggers on SPJ rods with 20lb (4K) and 30lb (2K), a Saltiga or 2 speed accurate with 30lb, a makaira 15t with 50lb, and a Banax Kaigen with 50lb for when I’m done manually cranking.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use accurate valiant 600NN with the SPJ handles and 30# braid. Hand cranked the whole trip last year, did a bit of bait fishing as well. Drank several gallons of water, caught tons of fish, and was quite sore the next day =)

Upgraded handle and light line!

Not sure I'll make one this year, but may jump on one of the august trips last minute if there is still room.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We will take an easy run the night of departure and start fishing at sunrise and fish until around midnight. During the day we will fish the deeper stuff, 500-1000 ft, we will be fishing as deep as the weather and current will allow. Once the sun sets we will anchor up on a big lump for Beeliners, AJs and Almacos. We will fish until around midnight and then head home. Your looking at around 18 hours of straight fishing time.
AJs will not be open in August but will re open on Sept 1. With that being said I plan to do a lot of deeper stuff on the two trips in August and we will be targeting Tiles, Barrels, and Queens during the daytime.
You guys ever fish in 80 to 150ft? Seems you do much deeper fishing than our party boats do.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey @Capt.matt are you sure that’s the right name (twisted snoots) I’ve been trying to google them and I can’t find anything about them.
I remember what they look like. But I never watched you tie them, and trying to find something on them

41 - 60 of 97 Posts