360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
421 - 440 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
11/3-4
Sorry for the late report. We had a decent trip.
We didn’t bottom fish long and only made two stops with the first one being a bust but the second stop was solid. Beeliners were fierce, I caught my two day limit easily in the hour we were there and most of the guys fishing live piggies were rewarded with nice Scamps.
Our night was steady for the most part with a lull from 12-3am. Early on the bite was Halcos and Frenzy’s and late in the night it turned into a chunk bite, up until a pod of dolphins showed up just before sunrise and completely shut it down.
Trip totals...
30 YFT
85 BFT
240 Beeliners
12 Scamp
3 AlmacoJack
Vertebrate White Sky Cloud Fish
Water Sky Cloud Fin Fish
Water Cloud Sky Shorts Boat
Computer Personal computer Computer monitor accessory Output device Gadget
Cloud Sky Water Boat Gesture

·
835 Posts
I'm trying to figure out Matt's rigging on that picture of 5 bliners. Two hooks at each location and no apparent swivels. Tell us how that's done please Matt.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm trying to figure out Matt's rigging on that picture of 5 bliners. Two hooks at each location and no apparent swivels. Tell us how that's done please Matt.
Not sure how he does it but spider hitches are popular on party boats in northern Channel Islands fishing deep. It allows you to easily add (and remove) the circle hooks (and bank weight) to the loop ends with a girth hitch. That way if you are in a tangle, you can take the hooks off and then just pull the mono and it usually untangles pretty quick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At Risk of being blamed for jinxing it...Anybody been watching the weather for this upcoming trip? The 14th and 15th?

I'm no expert but it's looking rough to say the least. 7+ foot seas and 20-25kt winds.

My first experience with the possibility of weather cancelling a trip.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
I will show you next time your on the boat but it’s pretty easy. I tie a regular dropper loop but tie it longer and cut it in the middle and tie a hook to each bitter end. The right way to do it would be to tie a blood knot with really long tag ends to tie your hooks to and that would keep them separated better but it’s a little more time consuming to do it that way.
The hooks should also be snailed but that’s also a lot more time consuming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
11/3-4
Sorry for the late report. We had a decent trip.
We didn’t bottom fish long and only made two stops with the first one being a bust but the second stop was solid. Beeliners were fierce, I caught my two day limit easily in the hour we were there and most of the guys fishing live piggies were rewarded with nice Scamps.
Our night was steady for the most part with a lull from 12-3am. Early on the bite was Halcos and Frenzy’s and late in the night it turned into a chunk bite, up until a pod of dolphins showed up just before sunrise and completely shut it down.
Trip totals...
30 YFT
85 BFT
240 Beeliners
12 Scamp
3 AlmacoJack View attachment 125213 View attachment 125214 View attachment 125215 View attachment 125216 View attachment 125217
Noob question. Does anyone use live mullet instead of flyer?

421 - 440 of 477 Posts