360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
If everything works as planned, this December, son and I will go on our first ever 30 hour "Tuna trip". We have done the 8 hour and 12 hours trips, but this will be the first for overnight. My son is wondering if we can troll from the back of party boat if we have our own gear. If so, what seats are suggested and any advice on gear / lures.

·
Registered
83 Posts
While is can be of aggravation for some, conservation practices do work. In the long run everyone wins. It wasn't all that long ago, we didn't have near the quality of Red Snapper fishing that we have now.
Thanks to conservation and everyone doing their part, Red Snapper in the Gulf of Mexico is better than ever, both in quality and numbers.
If we've learned anything over the years, overfishing of any species hurts the environment and fishing in itself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If everything works as planned, this December, son and I will go on our first ever 30 hour "Tuna trip". We have done the 8 hour and 12 hours trips, but this will be the first for overnight. My son is wondering if we can troll from the back of party boat if we have our own gear. If so, what seats are suggested and any advice on gear / lures.
Depends on how fast the boat runs. I would think people would get upset if the boat had to stop each time a fish was hooked.

·
Registered
61 Posts
  • Effective July 25, 2022: Gulf of Mexico Greater Amberjack Recreational Fixed Closed Season Modification. NOAA Fisheries
  • This emergency rule modifies the recreational fishing season to be open only the months of September and October in 2022.
  • The month of August is closed to recreational harvest of greater amberjack
No shocker there. Jacks are closed most of the year anyways and gags are next. I remember the good days and getting 600lbs of jacks on 34 hour trips. Once prices went to 50 cents a lb to a $1 they just got hammered out in the 90's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No trolling on the New Bucc, boat is too fast at something like 22kts and there isn't time to stop for hooked fish. The Scat Cat trolls I think but I think they sacrifice bottom fishing time for it

·
Registered
61 Posts
No trolling on the New Bucc, boat is too fast at something like 22kts and there isn't time to stop for hooked fish. The Scat Cat trolls I think but I think they sacrifice bottom fishing time for it
22 knts would be a dream. The cheap party boats in my part of FL do 10 knts and less on the 34 hour trips. No party over here could do 22 knts anyways.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
We will be running too fast to troll.

·
Registered
41 Posts
56hr and a 30hr booked. Finally popped my cherry on a YFT out in a private trip to Nance and Boomvang got 4 on the halco (great trip overall we also picked up 2 marlin bump trolling blackfins and had a bluefin mash one too, looked like a 300lb man did cannon ball off the tuna tower). Just picked up Daiawa BG 8000 and an 8ft popping rod so make a little room on the bow fellas I'm coming in hot!

·
655 Posts
56hr and a 30hr booked. Finally popped my cherry on a YFT out in a private trip to Nance and Boomvang got 4 on the halco (great trip overall we also picked up 2 marlin bump trolling blackfins and had a bluefin mash one too, looked like a 300lb man did cannon ball off the tuna tower). Just picked up Daiawa BG 8000 and an 8ft popping rod so make a little room on the bow fellas I'm coming in hot!
Ummmm .... you know the rules. Pics or it didn't happen!

21 - 40 of 97 Posts