360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
In Katy grabbing some food on the way to Galveston(from San Antonio). I'm loaded for bear and cant wait for my first go on the New Buccaneer. I saw on the last trip all the yellows came off chunks. Inknownthe office has anchovies/sardines, I dont remember what I read. How are folks stowing those? Their soft sided cooler?

·
1,788 Posts
I pick up a box of sardines from Buccees in Texas City. I keep them in a cooler until we board then give them to the deckhands to put on ice (usually the blue box by the stairs). The best chunk is blackfin if you catch a small one cut that into 3” cubes and put a hook in that and drop it in the chum slick…

·
Registered
264 Posts
I really liked offloading at 7 am on the bottom trip. A night of tuna followed by bottom fishing all day / till we had to head in to make the dock at 7.. sounds like an ideal trip to me =)

The 56 is a bit long and 30 a bit short in my mind.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
I really liked offloading at 7 am on the bottom trip. A night of tuna followed by bottom fishing all day / till we had to head in to make the dock at 7.. sounds like an ideal trip to me =)

The 56 is a bit long and 30 a bit short in my mind.
I could probably do a 36 hour tuna trip. Bottom fishing on the way out, tuna fish at night and then bottom fish again on the way home. I’m not a huge fan of bottom fishing on the way home mainly because we are all exhausted after a night of fishing But we have done a few of those and they are good trips. We will definitely be running more 36 hour bottom trips in the future.

·
1,788 Posts
The boat fishes M-T and T-F so 56 hours mess up their schedule. I will try to set one up in May and December next year but we will have to fill it or we will lose it. I don’t want to drive the extra hour to go to Port A.

·
1,123 Posts
The boat fishes M-T and T-F so 56 hours mess up their schedule. I will try to set one up in May and December next year but we will have to fill it or we will lose it. I don’t want to drive the extra hour to go to Port A.
I will sign up for both if they will put them on the books.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
10/11-10/12
We were on the fence on sending this one but it looked like the weather was going to be just good enough to go. It was a bumpy trip and we lost some speed on the ride out but we ended up having a decent trip.
Bottom fishing was ok, the fish were there but the bite was slow but fairly steady. It may have had something to do with the poor weather the day before, sometimes that can affect them for a few days. Although the bite was on the slower side we still ended the day with a decent catch of Beeliners and some big Scamps.
I had pretty high expectations for the night on this one after making a long run in the middle of the night on the last trip and finding good fish. Unfortunately it did not work out like I had expected. We got to the rig and found a solid Blackfin bite but the yellows were non existent. At midnight we made another long ride and arrived at our next rig 2.5 hours later. Finally around 3 am we started putting some YFT in the boat. Fishing was pretty good from then until sunrise and we were able to put 10 YFT and a bunch more BFT in the boat. Once we finally found them we caught yellows on Halcos, chunks and Frenzy’s.
Trip totals...
10 YFT
150 BFT
218 Beeliners
14 Scamp
1 Rockhind
1 Almaco
3 AJ
4 RainbowRunner
Vertebrate White Sky Fish Seafood
Water Sky Vertebrate Cloud Seafood
Outdoor shoe Fishing net Seafood Cross training shoe Fish
Food Ingredient Animal product Cuisine Dish

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
10/14-15
Seas were pretty bumpy heading out and the bottom fishing was a little on the slower side. We ended up getting on a good Beeliner bite but the Porpoises were relentless. They were robbing us of most of the fish we hooked. We lost quite a bit of time on the ride out running reduced speed because of the seas so we didn’t have all that much time for it.
We went right back to the floater we found them at the last trip and were hooked up to yellows immediately. Our hook up to land ratio wasn’t great at first but got better as the night went on. Barracudas and Porpoises were also giving us a really hard time.We had to really work for our fish this trip but we ended up with some quality fish in the boat.
On the ride home we made a quick pit stop to catch our limit of Red Snapper before heading to the dock.
Trip totals....
12 YFT
45 BFT
165 Beeliners
3 RainbowRunner
8 Scamp
6 AlmacoJack
70 RedSnapper
1 Hake
2 LongTail SeaBass
1 AmberJack
Sky Fish Automotive design Seafood Animal product
Jaw Fish Fin Wood Seafood
Food Seafood Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish

·
Registered
162 Posts
10/14-15
Seas were pretty bumpy heading out and the bottom fishing was a little on the slower side. We ended up getting on a good Beeliner bite but the Porpoises were relentless. They were robbing us of most of the fish we hooked. We lost quite a bit of time on the ride out running reduced speed because of the seas so we didn’t have all that much time for it.
We went right back to the floater we found them at the last trip and were hooked up to yellows immediately. Our hook up to land ratio wasn’t great at first but got better as the night went on. Barracudas and Porpoises were also giving us a really hard time.We had to really work for our fish this trip but we ended up with some quality fish in the boat.
On the ride home we made a quick pit stop to catch our limit of Red Snapper before heading to the dock.
Trip totals....
12 YFT
45 BFT
165 Beeliners
3 RainbowRunner
8 Scamp
6 AlmacoJack
70 RedSnapper
1 Hake
2 LongTail SeaBass
1 AmberJack View attachment 120459 View attachment 120460 View attachment 120461
Did y’all catch a black drum haha? Second to last pic

161 - 180 of 181 Posts