360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
The scamp is something, but I really need one of those YFT. Fingers crossed for good weather on the 28th! Anyone else on that one?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Great! I'll be on with 5 members of our fishing crew. I'll be the only one with a ratty Mets hat on. Say hi!

·
Registered
208 Posts
On second thought, there may be two of us in worn out Mets hats, I'm the one in the actual blue hat with orange logo. My buddy got an off color one that he uses for lawn mowing.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
We got in today off another successful trip. I had the same game plan as our last trip. Bottom fishing was good, the people that fished for Beeliners got some nice ones, also saw a few more good Scamps and AJs come up. We made a quick stop on a wreck just offshore of the rock pile we had been fishing and put some nice AJs in the boat there, also broke a bunch more off. Our day ended at another deep rig where we caught a few more AJs, a couple Scamps and a good Warsaw.
Our night started at the same rig where we did great just two nights ago and initially it looked like we would do well, we landed a few Yellowfin within our first 4 drifts but after that the Cudas took over and made it nearly impossible to fish using any method. By midnight it was pretty clear that we had to do something different and by 12:15 we were under way to the next rig, we made a 3.5 hour boat ride, although there were other rigs closer I had no faith in them because we had been there recently. It was a gamble that ended up paying off. We arrived at the next rig at 3:45 and picked at YFT and BFT until they shut down at sunrise. The bite wasn’t hot but we ended up doing much better than we would have had we stayed it our first rig. It ended up being a decent night.
Trip totals.....
13 YFT
138 BFT
1 Warsaw
11 AJ
7 AlmacoJack
1 Dorado
1 HorseEye Jack
10 Scamp
160 Beeliners
White Vertebrate Animal product Fish Seafood
Fish Fin Seafood Water Ray-finned fish
Water Sky Working animal Meat Livestock
Water Cloud Sky Shorts Blue
Automotive tire Arthropod Outdoor shoe Athletic shoe Ingredient

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Capt Matt, I'm on the Mon/Tues Oct 11/12 trip. Seas are much rougher for those days. Any chance this can get moved to either Sat/Sun or Sunday/Monday?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Matt, Do you have any plans to do more bottom fishing trips next year? Couple of people and I are interested in going after seeing the reports from this year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Capt Matt, I'm on the Mon/Tues Oct 11/12 trip. Seas are much rougher for those days. Any chance this can get moved to either Sat/Sun or Sunday/Monday?
I'm on that trip too & could rearrange my schedule if you changes the dates. Looks like its gonna be the difference in a pancake griddle & a waffle iron.

·
272 Posts
What jig was that you were using at the rig for the Scamps?
These are the jigs I had good luck with this time. Two on the right are OTI Jager 400 gram jigs. The one on the left is an unknown brand about 300 grams. All are weighted on back end. Generally I've done well with these on the New Buc when in more than 300 ft of water, deep water rigs or the sea mounts. Anything shallower, they just get hammered by red snapper.
Body jewelry Wood Fish hook Spoon lure Natural material

141 - 160 of 181 Posts