360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
121 - 140 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have the equipment to build your own rod or have a buddy that does then I would highly recommend the 7’6 Jaws blank. I don’t know of anywhere that you can buy one already built though.
Thanks Matt,
Nice action, light weight composite blank 20-100# line. I think Ill pick one up. Paired with an Accurate Dauntless 400 with 80# braid, it should be ideal for casting the 130s and allow use of the rail.

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
I could be wrong, but I dont think there's a 2-pc rod that could withstand ferrule failure at 35# with bends like that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I could be wrong, but I dont think there's a 2-pc rod that could withstand ferrule failure at 35# with bends like that.
I think he is referring to the handle jointed two-piece. I have a Carnage 2, two-piece popping rod, 7'6" that does that. No ferrule above the handle.

·
1,788 Posts
Correct, I have a Synit, Carpenter and Yamaga Blanks that have the handle joint and that I am taking on my bluefin trip with Bill. Not planning to hang a 35 lb weight on any of them though!

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,122 Posts
I’ve been after thrasher for a couple of years to build a butt jointed two piece. Would love to travel with one. Not sure I’d attempt 35# with that one but wouldn’t hesitate with 25#. :D I’ve done 25# with my phenix titan popping rod. Not going to try with my carpenter or mc works though. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
Not doing that with my RF's or Smith's either.
Really not necessary for the fish I normally go after.
I have actually had to get used to the RF's progressive taper
I feel like I'm High-sticking, then I go home and watch vids that
put nearly twice as much pressure than I do.
It's comforting, but still freaky.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Sky Vertebrate Water Animal product Fish
Food Water Sky Seafood Fish
Water Vertebrate Seafood Sky Fish
Food Vertebrate Seafood Cuisine Fish
Sky Naval architecture Blue Leisure Suit

We returned yesterday from a really good 30 hr.
Bottom fishing was solid, we started on a big rock pile in around 190 ft. There we caught some stud Scamps and nice Beeliners. After we left there we made a quick stop at a rig in 450 ft and it produced some good fish for us. We landed most of our AJs there and I watched some more people get destroyed by big fish. That’s the bad part of rig fishing, we break a ton of fish off on them.
Tuna fishing started pretty poor... about like it has been. We didn’t stay at our first rig long before we made a boat ride. Our second rig looked dead upon arrival but I was pleasantly surprised when we boated a nice YFT on the first drift. We spent the rest of the night picking at 3-4 YFT per drift but the drift was SLOW, some drifts lasted for an hour or more. We ended up with our best night so far of the fall season but if we had a little bit of wind we could have really put a hurting on them.
Almost all of the yellows came off chunks. And we had a solid average of around 70 lbs.
Trip Totals....
27 YFT
80 BFT
217 Beeliners
9 AJ
20 Scamp
1 YellowEdge
1 Bearded Brotula
3 RainbowRunner

121 - 140 of 181 Posts