360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Saw all the posts about GPB tuna safaris, Decided to break down and buy all the kit, Casting setup, Jigging setup. Only to find out that y'all are booked full!

Is it normal for people to drop last minute? Luckily for me it's very doable to pick up a spot last minute if someone cancels. Is there a cancellation list I can get on?

Also, I saw that Capt. Matt said earlier in the thread that they may be adding more trips, Have those trips been added yet and are full already? Or are there more yet to come.

Many thanks in advance for the help, I'm really hoping to get to go out with GPB!
Hey, Kyle! Yes, a few spots usually open up for 30 hr trips, maybe a week to a few days before departure. As of 5 minutes ago, there were 6 available for Sep 7 and 3 available for Sep 13. (I'm going on the latter.) Scubaarchery produced a fabulous 19 minute video from the May 10 - 11, 2021 30 hr tuna trip; entertaining and has some great tips. Watch it and you'll really get pumped.

This site usually has advance notice of when more GPB trips are added.

·
617 Posts
how was the 8/31 trip? i cancelled the week before. had to get tested because of possible exposure (negative). any restrictions caused by covid?

·
Registered
14 Posts
how was the 8/31 trip? i cancelled the week before. had to get tested because of possible exposure (negative). any restrictions caused by covid?
The 8/30 trip produced a lot of undersized YF, 1 Big Eye, all the BF you would ever want, a hand full of large grade AJs, and plenty of mixed size Beeliners. No restriction do to covid.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
We ran our first two open boat 30 hours of the fall season this week.
Mondays trip had some good bottom fishing, but the tuna fishing was less than impressive. We ran south and started at the drill ship Posideon, next Perdido and ended at Hoover, covering over 100 miles throughout the night. We did not see any YFT until sunrise when we hooked and lost the only three of the night but did catch a BigEye and as many BFT as anyone cared to catch.
Trip Totals.......
12 AJ
13 Almaco
5 Scamp
1 BigEye
212 BFT
253 Beeliners
Vertebrate Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fish Seafood Metal
Automotive tire Fish Sculpture Fin Sky
Food Cuisine Wood Animal product Dish

Thursday’s trip was a lot better. With the poor fishing we saw earlier in the week and the poor reports from out East and BV and Nansen I decided to run to Gunnison.... the only rig we haven’t herd anything from.
Our bottom fishing was fantastic and we got a lot of bottom time in, we fished from 2pm to 8pm and caught a lot of Beeliners and a pile of Jacks over natural bottom in the 400 ft range.
Tuna fishing started hot, as soon as we pulled up we started hooking YFT on just about anything we threw but unfortunately that would only last a few drifts. The rest of the night the Blackfin were fierce and we landed a few more YFT sporadically but they never came back up like they were when we started.
It’s not uncommon for tuna fishing to be tough late summer-early fall and I expect it to pick up in the next month.
Trip totals....
12 YFT
240 BFT
1 SkipJack
11 AJ
39 AlmacoJack
1 Scamp
1 Blueline Tile
1 YellowEye
374 Beeliners
1 RedPorgy
White Blue Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fish
Food Seafood Marine invertebrates Fish Cephalopod
Vertebrate Sky Fish Boat Seafood
Fluid Fin Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish
Rectangle World Font Display device Gadget

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
We returned yesterday off our 9/7-8 trip and despite the absolutely awful tuna fishing we actually had a pretty good trip.
Bottom fishing on the way out was solid. We fished natural bottom in 160-180 and picked up a pile of Beeliners, the people that targeted them caught their 20 easily. We also boxed a good number of AJs.
Tuna fishing was really bad. We started at Magnolia and there was bait absolutely everywhere, only saw a few fish bust and we had almost no drift, not much current and zero wind. We fished there until 11 with not much to show but a few Blackfin. I decided to make the run to Gunnison.... where we did well last week but I knew there had been a ton of pressure at that rig over the last few days and I was trying to avoid going there. At Gunnison it was just as bad. Not much of a drift and we were covered up in porpoise. Had flipper not been there the story may have been different.
At 5:30 I had seen enough to feel confident we wouldn’t be seeing a morning bite so we ran inshore and got anchored on a sea mount in 400ft in hopes of a good morning bite for Jack’s. The first few minutes were slow but we got them going really good and sat there for a couple hours putting some good quality fish in the boat. We ended our trip with a mix of AJs, Almacos, Queens and some Grouper.
Throwing in the towel tuna fishing isn’t something I like to do but in this situation I felt like it was the right call and I think it paid off pretty well.
Trip totals...
20 AJ
29 AlmacoJack
454 Beeliners
3 Queen Snapper
3 AfricanPompano
1 YellowEdge
1 YellowEye Snapper
2 KingFish
37 BFT
1 Dorado

White Animal product Seafood Fish Fish products
Water Sky Fish Food Seafood
Output device Computer Gadget Audio equipment Computer monitor accessory

AJs suspended above Vermilions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just to add salt on the wound dang NOAA. First, my trips get canceled then I can't catch queens. What's next? 10 blackfin tuna limit per person?

·
1,753 Posts
Trip report: my friend Neil and I were on the 6/16 trip. We left DFW about 10pm and stopped at Buccees for bait shrimp and headed to 61st street park. We cut a 6 hook sabiki in half and caught 3 dozen pinfish on the shrimp tipped

Bottom fishing started on Stetson Rock. Matt said the bite would either be epic or nonexistent and unfortunately the bite was non existent. We then proceeded to multiple other stops. Initially I tried for beeliner and caught a couple at the first spot and at each subsequent stop.

Later I switched to pinfish in hopes of a grouper or AJ. Unfortunately the only takers on the pinfish were red snapper, plenty of AJ and scamp were caught by the boat but no luck for me.

The ride to Perdido was awesome the waves were only 2-3’s if that so we made it there about 10pm. I started throwing Halcos and Neil started jigging. The bite was sporadic at first we caught blackfin and a couple of yellow at the bow. I hadn’t caught anything so went to the back to check on Neil and he had 5 on his Williamson Bethos speed jig. He was dropping almost 600’ but was pretty much getting a bite every time including a nice yellow that he lost at the boat. I joined him and tried my pink herring jig and a flatfall jig with no luck. I switched to a white hammered diamond jig and picked up a couple before switching to a Bethos and catching several more, I had a deep hookup that started ripping out drag but unfortunately came unbuttoned. I switched back to halcos later and Neil joined me as well we ended up catching several blackfin and I lost another UFO. We could not chunk most of the night because the current pushes the bait under the. boat however later the current straighted up and several YFT were caught on chunk.

We started back about 5am. It was another awesome New Buccaneer adventure! I will try to post a video soon…

61 - 80 of 96 Posts