·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Sky Animal product Seafood Fish Water
Water Food Sky Seafood Fin
Water Food Marine invertebrates Seafood Fish
Fish Seafood Fin Ray-finned fish Fish products
We got in today off of our first ever 36 hr bottom trip. The trip turned out great but we had to battle some terrible current. Due to the current we were only able to max out around 650 ft with most of the stops being 400 ish. I’d say we definitely learned a few things from this one that we will have to do differently on the next ones.

Trip totals......
30 AJ
49 AlmacoJack
332 Beeliners
4 Scamp
12 YellowEdge
1 Warsaw
16 Queen
4 Sandtile
1 Snowy
1 Blue Tile
3 BigEye Torro
1 RockHind
5 RedPorgy
4 Yellow Eye Snapper

·
1,753 Posts
View attachment 119555 View attachment 119556 View attachment 119559 View attachment 119558 We got in today off of our first ever 36 hr bottom trip. The trip turned out great but we had to battle some terrible current. Due to the current we were only able to max out around 650 ft with most of the stops being 400 ish. I’d say we definitely learned a few things from this one that we will have to do differently on the next ones.

Trip totals......
30 AJ
49 AlmacoJack
332 Beeliners
4 Scamp
12 YellowEdge
1 Warsaw
16 Queen
4 Sandtile
1 Snowy
1 Blue Tile
3 BigEye Torro
1 RockHind
5 RedPorgy
4 Yellow Eye Snapper
Looks like a good haul either way!

·
21 Posts
Capt Matt,
Any special jigs or heavy sinker needed for next trip? The AJs were on live baits or jigs? I am on the next week trip. Thanks.
Brian

·
Registered
260 Posts
300 -400 gram jigs were the ticket. Was a great trip, the fish were there but too many different fishing methods in deep water. Jyg deepest jigs were doing great on the queens I ended up with 3 and lost some to tangles.

I also used some 500-750 gram bottom bouncing jigs and got an aj and yellow edge on them ( tipped with some bonito strips)

Jigging only trip next year Capt? :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Our second 36 hr bottom trip was a huge success. I’m thinking that this trip will become a somewhat regular trip when AJ season is open. We learned a lot on these two trips and changed up a few things on this one and will likely make changes with each one until we get a system down.
One of the changes we made on this one was to restrict leaders to not more than 3 hooks as well as eliminating all crimped hooks to the main backbone of the leader and replaced them with commercial style twisted snoots. “I will try and post pictures of that later on but if someone took a picture of them I would appreciate it if you could post it up”. By making those two changes we were able to greatly cut down on our tangles and most of them were much easier, SAFER and faster to untangle. Another change that I will more than likely make on future deep trips will be to drop the passenger count by a few more fishermen.... there is a fine line between limiting passengers and making the ticket price too high so that’s something I’m going to have to put a lot of thought into.
Back to the trip......
The weather man was calling for much nicer conditions for this weeks trip so I wanted to go ahead and start as deep as possible right off the bat.
We started jigging for tilefish in 1000 ft of water and slowly mixed in baited drops once we figured out that the current wasn’t bad.
In 3 drifts we boated 7 Goldens but it was slower than I would have liked, on the last drift we boated a couple as we were pulling off with one going 15+ lbs. I believe that I may have started us out too early in the ultra deep stuff but it’s all part of the learning curve.
Next stop was a tried and true stop for us in 450 ft on a seamount where fishing was still slow but there we picked up a couple Almacos and a nice Warsaw that went 103 lbs.
The current still seemed extremely fishable so I decided to move to the East and get a little deeper. This stop was a large ridge in just over 800 ft. Here the current was still light but was directly into the wind so that left us doing an engine assisted drift that resulted in more tangles than I would like but considering we were fishing 27 people in 800 ft it wasn’t bad and the fishing was good. We caught some fat Queens, Barrels, and YellowEdge.
Our bite died around 3pm so we moved a few miles inshore and were able to get anchored up on some large bottom features and picked at AJs and Almacos until dark when the Beeliners lit off. Once we got the BBs going everything else slowed down, which is normal at night in the deep water. Our trip ended with an insane Beeliner bite and most people ended with a two day limit.
Sorry for the long report, I’m pretty excited about this one.
Trip Totals....
18 Amber Jack
85 Almaco Jack (Mostly keeper AJ size)
7 Golden Tile
3 Hake
481 Beeliners
8 Barrelfish
8 YellowEdge
21 Queen Snappers
7 Yellow Eye Snapper
2 BFT
2 Red Porgy
2 BigEye Torro
1 Warsaw
9 Banded Rudderfish
Several UFOs.
Food Animal product Fish Seafood Cuisine
Food Vertebrate Ingredient Seafood Animal product
Food Fish Seafood Animal product Cuisine
Food Vertebrate Seafood Cuisine Fish
Computer Output device Black Gadget Flat panel display
Light Output device Azure Black Computer
Food Ingredient Seafood Fish Cuisine
Blue Light Black Output device Rectangle
Television Output device Rectangle Computer monitor Gadget
Fisherman Fish Seafood Fishing Recreation

·
Registered
150 Posts
Our second 36 hr bottom trip was a huge success. I’m thinking that this trip will become a somewhat regular trip when AJ season is open. We learned a lot on these two trips and changed up a few things on this one and will likely make changes with each one until we get a system down.
One of the changes we made on this one was to restrict leaders to not more than 3 hooks as well as eliminating all crimped hooks to the main backbone of the leader and replaced them with commercial style twisted snoots. “I will try and post pictures of that later on but if someone took a picture of them I would appreciate it if you could post it up”. By making those two changes we were able to greatly cut down on our tangles and most of them were much easier, SAFER and faster to untangle. Another change that I will more than likely make on future deep trips will be to drop the passenger count by a few more fishermen.... there is a fine line between limiting passengers and making the ticket price too high so that’s something I’m going to have to put a lot of thought into.
Back to the trip......
The weather man was calling for much nicer conditions for this weeks trip so I wanted to go ahead and start as deep as possible right off the bat.
We started jigging for tilefish in 1000 ft of water and slowly mixed in baited drops once we figured out that the current wasn’t bad.
In 3 drifts we boated 7 Goldens but it was slower than I would have liked, on the last drift we boated a couple as we were pulling off with one going 15+ lbs. I believe that I may have started us out too early in the ultra deep stuff but it’s all part of the learning curve.
Next stop was a tried and true stop for us in 450 ft on a seamount where fishing was still slow but there we picked up a couple Almacos and a nice Warsaw that went 103 lbs.
The current still seemed extremely fishable so I decided to move to the East and get a little deeper. This stop was a large ridge in just over 800 ft. Here the current was still light but was directly into the wind so that left us doing an engine assisted drift that resulted in more tangles than I would like but considering we were fishing 27 people in 800 ft it wasn’t bad and the fishing was good. We caught some fat Queens, Barrels, and YellowEdge.
Our bite died around 3pm so we moved a few miles inshore and were able to get anchored up on some large bottom features and picked at AJs and Almacos until dark when the Beeliners lit off. Once we got the BBs going everything else slowed down, which is normal at night in the deep water. Our trip ended with an insane Beeliner bite and most people ended with a two day limit.
Sorry for the long report, I’m pretty excited about this one.
Trip Totals....
18 Amber Jack
85 Almaco Jack (Mostly keeper AJ size)
7 Golden Tile
3 Hake
481 Beeliners
8 Barrelfish
8 YellowEdge
21 Queen Snappers
7 Yellow Eye Snapper
2 BFT
2 Red Porgy
2 BigEye Torro
1 Warsaw
9 Banded Rudderfish
Several UFOs. View attachment 119651 View attachment 119652 View attachment 119653 View attachment 119654 View attachment 119655 View attachment 119656 View attachment 119657 View attachment 119658 View attachment 119659 View attachment 119660
Could you consider doing a tuna trip plus extended bottom fishing at a similar price? perhaps leaving port at like 2-3am?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Here’s a pic of the leaders we were using. They are much easier to untangle and it’s extremely easy to keep several back ups to switch out as well.
Wood Twig Tints and shades Font Art
Art Gesture Font Circle Drawing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw all the posts about GPB tuna safaris, Decided to break down and buy all the kit, Casting setup, Jigging setup. Only to find out that y'all are booked full!

Is it normal for people to drop last minute? Luckily for me it's very doable to pick up a spot last minute if someone cancels. Is there a cancellation list I can get on?

Also, I saw that Capt. Matt said earlier in the thread that they may be adding more trips, Have those trips been added yet and are full already? Or are there more yet to come.

Many thanks in advance for the help, I'm really hoping to get to go out with GPB!

41 - 60 of 96 Posts