360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow dec. booked up fast. I jumped on the first deep drop trip.. Hopefully a few more tuna trips get added to the sch.
Once we get our commercial quota caught up we will add some more 30 hours, they will be mostly full moon trips. I have the week of the full moon set aside to commercial fish but we shouldn’t need to make but 2 more trips to finish up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Folks, tuna time is near and that means Halcos. Attached is a pic of what I purchased today from Bucees in Texas City. Note the price is $11.99 each. (For Hungry Jack, that's $35.97 divided by 3... Oh well, this is too complicated for him and he'll probably dispute everything anyway.) Also, although these lures supposedly have factory improved hardware, the 4X stronger hooks shown, and that's what I use, have a bigger working diameter than the factory hooks. I add heavier split rings and a big honking BB swivel. (Somebody posted earlier about these hardware upgrades, sorry my besotted memory can't give 'em credit. Also, I think I saw something where the factory claims the heavier hardware effects the action, but the only diff I've noticed is no bent hooks.) The Halcos are in the far right corner of the store, but they are not always in stock 'cause I've bought 8 in the last 2 weeks.

Bummer all today's 12 hr trips made the turnaround of shame, but I saw mal de mer victims after the short excursion into the wind and waves. I'm signed up for 2 more 12 hr, 1 deep drop, and 5 tuna and hope they all make before my health collapses.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yep, I was there last Thursday, and I guess they must have restocked. They only had white/redhead and chrome pink. I grabbed a chrome/pink (just because), but wish they had the pilchard or some other shade of blue. You just can't beat that price anywhere as far as I can tell.....I may be the one that started a post, or commented to one of our threads about Halcos at Buc-cees in Texas City.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, it's been a little over a week now, and online, all of the trips are sold out completely. That's pretty amazing Capt. Matt!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Here’s a couple things you may want to bring if your on the upcoming deep drop trips.
-Sabiki Rigs
-Heavy Jigs, much heavier than what you would tuna fish with.
-Extra braid
-Spare batteries for your electric reels
-Glow skirts, beads, lights etc.

We will likely start fishing just before sunrise. First stop will probably be drifting and jigging over seamounts in 400 ft or so but if time allows we may try and make bait before that. There’s a few places out there that we can catch Tinker Mackerel at night.
Those plans may change but right now that’s what I’m planning.

·
784 Posts
Here’s a couple things you may want to bring if your on the upcoming deep drop trips.
-Sabiki Rigs
-Extra braid

We will likely start fishing just before sunrise. First stop will probably be drifting and jigging over seamounts in 400 ft or so but if time allows we may try and make bait before that. There’s a few places out there that we can catch Tinker Mackerel at night.
What about weights? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
-Sabiki Rigs
-Extra braid

Matt,
How about making bait for the tuna trips so we can drop sinker baits to the metered depth? We could fill the bait tanks in no time if we drop sebikis on bait schools.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Matt,
How about making bait for the tuna trips so we can drop sinker baits to the metered depth? We could fill the bait tanks in no time if we drop sebikis on bait schools.
I do not want to sacrifice bottom fishing time to make bait on a 30 hr. We are already short enough on bottom fishing time as it is on most of our trips.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts