360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
281 - 286 of 286 Posts

·
1,133 Posts
Random question. I'm getting my gear ready for a trip in December. I had some issues with line breaking on one of my rods when fishing over the summer. I went back and looked at my records and I realized that the braid on most of my reels was about 8 years old. So, long story short. I'm re-spooling my popping setups. I've typically run 80lb, hollow core. I don't ever actually splice the line so I don't know that I need to stick with hollow core. I'm looking at either 80 or 100 lb braid. Is there a significant difference in casting between the two?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Random question. I'm getting my gear ready for a trip in December. I had some issues with line breaking on one of my rods when fishing over the summer. I went back and looked at my records and I realized that the braid on most of my reels was about 8 years old. So, long story short. I'm re-spooling my popping setups. I've typically run 80lb, hollow core. I don't ever actually splice the line so I don't know that I need to stick with hollow core. I'm looking at either 80 or 100 lb braid. Is there a significant difference in casting between the two?
I would go with 80, you will have more line capacity and it should cast a little better, BUT it sure would be nice to have 100 when hooked up to a big fish. If you do go up to 100 it would be pointless unless you up your leader size up to 100 as well which could do more harm than good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would go with 80, you will have more line capacity and it should cast a little better, BUT it sure would be nice to have 100 when hooked up to a big fish. If you do go up to 100 it would be pointless unless you up your leader size up to 100 as well which could do more harm than good.
Matt, do you mean 100lb test leader is not a good choice? We should go lower, i.e. 80lb instead? I usually use 80lb braid or 100lb braid + 100lb leader.

·
1,133 Posts
Matt, do you mean 100lb test leader is not a good choice? We should go lower, i.e. 80lb instead? I usually use 80lb braid or 100lb braid + 100lb leader.
The Tuna can be finicky at times and it is a visibility issue. I typically run 80 lb leader, but have 100 if I start getting break offs. You want to run the lightest leader that gives you the power you need to land the fish. Heavier leader might give more strength, but you will get fewer bites. Especially if they are being finicky.

@Capt.matt thanks for chiming in. I will try to go with the 80. I think that is what I have had on in the past. But, it will depend on what I can actually find in stock...

281 - 286 of 286 Posts